The Student Room Group

Is a macbook pro good for student use?

I need a new reliable laptop in September, is the macbook pro a good laptop?

I need it for:

Student work
web surfing
Some gaming :biggrin:

so is the macbook pro good for these uses?

All help appreciated :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes.

But I've always been Mac though :tongue:
Reply 2
Yes, only those who cannot afford one will say no.

What percentage of PC users buy a mac but then decide to go back to a PC? None. There's a reason why...
Yes they can be but are very over priced and a pc half the cost can do all your needs heres a nice windows pc that you could consider?
http://www.ebuyer.com/351922-lenovo-b570-laptop-n2f25uk

im a bit of a tech nerd so if you need any advice or anythink give me a message :smile: hope this helps
http://www.ebuyer.com/351922-lenovo-b570-laptop-n2f25uk

macs can be good but are very overpriced for students i would recommend something like the the a both link very nice laptop that would suite a studient well and would be able to do other things too (entertainment)

hope that helps if you need any more help feel free to message me :smile: im a bit of a tech nerd.
Reply 5
They're not 'overpriced', they're priced proportionately to their quality.
That doesn't mean it's necessarily right for you.
Macs aren't very good for gaming unless you run Windows on it, so I'd be more inclined to save money and get a Windows laptop with a dedicated graphics card.
Mac's are very sturdy you're less likely to get a hardware problem with them than a lower-end laptop, but gaming wise you'd be better off with something Windows based (but that doesn't stop you dual booting it on a Mac) but if you have the money for one, they're be perfectly fine, but a mid-ranged laptop would do you fine for all things including gaming. It also depends on what your work is going be, if you're just using things like Word then anything form of computer will do you fine if you're doing more creative work then MacOS tends to be easier to use for that side of things. Best bet is to go down to the local Apple store and play around with a Macbook get a feel for the OS and if you like it get it or if you prefer the feel of Windows then get a laptop.
I've had mine since late 2008 and it's still superb. I'm unlikely to replace it until I graduate (another 2 years from now)- and only because it's my last chance to get 14% off. I'd like to see what £300 Dell is still running as fast as the day it was unboxed after 4 years.

Just getting in ahead of the "zomg so expensive lawllllll" crowd. If you can afford it, get one. I promise you won't regret spending that bit extra because they're so much smoother and more enjoyable to use.
Reply 8
Original post by ergo30

I need it for:

Student work
web surfing

You are doing all the basics, any laptop with a basic dual core will suffice.
Gaming wise, it's not good for it at all apart from Sims

Should've have also stated that the small 13inch are limited to basic graphic games like Sims, the 15inch are much more capable though may struggle where internal ram is used a lot, though you could get a equally capable gaming laptop for a lower price but at the cost of portability, a good OS and software.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Rybee
Yes, only those who cannot afford one will say no.

What percentage of PC users buy a mac but then decide to go back to a PC? None. There's a reason why...

Are you crazy? only a moron would buy a macbook for gaming! their just way too overpriced for the components they have in them! Most gamers will build their own PC because buying the components are just cheaper brought separately and they need top of the range graphics card(s) and CPUs.
Reply 10
Original post by Rday
Are you crazy? only a moron would buy a macbook for gaming! their just way too overpriced for the components they have in them! Most gamers will build their own PC because buying the components are just cheaper brought separately and they need top of the range graphics card(s) and CPUs.

Gaming?!

LOL. Get a social life.
Reply 11
i like this laptop
Reply 12
I heard that some Uni's software isn't compatible with the macbook pro. Is this right? I am considering getting one too.
Reply 13
As a student you don't *need* one, however you'll love using it regardless.

Original post by LoisArmour
I heard that some Uni's software isn't compatible with the macbook pro. Is this right? I am considering getting one too.

Some isn't, what course are you doing?
Reply 14
I'm doing Business Management in Aberdeen
Reply 15
I valued reliability, usability and customer support above all else, so the mac was the obvious choice. No one looks after their customers like Apple. However, if you value gaming, value for money or speed values, get something else.
I suppose it depends what you call gaming. If you want FarmVille to work, then it really doesn't matter what computer you buy. However if you want graphics intensive shooters or so, then you might consider something high end.

The main moral of the story about games for Macs is that what they have, works, but they don't have a lot. Most games are released for Windows first, with only the big titles getting concurrent Mac release.

If money is no object, a Macbook Pro is a sturdy laptop that will see you through your degree. You can also Bootcamp for gaming. Personally in your position I'd get a windows laptop, they're cheaper and they run pretty much all games.
Reply 17
i'm getting one cos they look good and the apple logo is cool, as is the OS
Reply 18
Original post by ergo30

I need it for:

Student work
web surfing

Hi, i have recently got a mac book pro 13 inch (about 6-8 months ago) when my old laptop broke and i needed a new one for 6th form.

For student work i have found it really great :biggrin: There are so many different apps for students, including ones for graphic design and medical students, just a couple of examples (these can be pricey however). Also, there are other great free apps which i have found which have really helped my studies, so much so i plan to use in uni also. For example, iprocrastinate, which has been such a help in managing my schedule, revision and personal life! If you are disorganized like me, then such apps are great :smile:

Web surfing... what to say? I didn't particularly like the safari browser that came with the laptop so i got Firefox instead. I cant really think of anything else to say, its pretty self explanatory :L

I myself don't play any games- however my boyfriend does.... He has used my laptop for playing WOW and mine craft, and is impressed with the graphics, speeds etc. if that helps.

Oh, and the mac also comes with other great features such as 'time machine'. This allows you to restore your laptop to a previous date. So, god forbid if you ever lost all your files... you can just use time machine to go back to when they were all there, and Hey Presto, nothings lost :biggrin:

I hope this helps :smile:
I love my Macbook Pro, I use it for everything lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending