The Student Room Group

Lawyer guns down his sister in Pakistani court in new low for Honour Killings

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
You analagy falls down for both on the basis that where they were invented, the USA, has been the largest storngest economy in history, and the worlds most populous country China, is the next strongest.
I was aksing in terms of healthy morality - if you thinking killing women for not confirming to (in this case) islamic conditions, is healthier, then you are seriously screwed up morally .

Hmm. Something being moral doesnt equate to it being healthy. Moral is an idea of right and wrong to which you try to add weight by claiming it to be healthier.

China isnt the second strongest country. Its the second biggest economy but they lack technology and struggle to even get an aircraft carrier together. What do you think about the one child policy? Not exactly in line with western ethics but healthier for society pretty much undeniably.

Saying something cant have detrimental effect on one society because id didnt on another fails to take into account how very different they are.

the 1st Charter of the UN (to whcih we signed up) is the protection of owmens rights and freedom from dscrimination and persecution. So it is very much our business, and indeed we and the UN press that message in various countries, particualarly when it potentially affects 100 million women in paksitan for example.

And any woman that listens gets shot. Not our fault at all tho.

Obviously writing something down on a bit of paper at the un gives them the right to do it. They should at least start with the easy stuff 1st and go stop cannibal tribes making women push bits of horn though their noses.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by green.tea
Hmm. Something being moral doesnt equate to it being healthy. Moral is an idea of right and wrong to which you try to add weight by claiming it to be healthier.

China isnt the second strongest country. Its the second biggest economy but they lack technology and struggle to even get an aircraft carrier together. What do you think about the one child policy? Not exactly in line with western ethics but healthier for society pretty much undeniably.

Saying something cant have detrimental effect on one society because id didnt on another fails to take into account how very different they are ..

you were replying to my question, which was which was morally healthier, allowing women to wear what they want, or killing them becuase they dont comform - your answer was srewed up, regardless of adding weight.

again, i said china will be the NEXT biggest economy following usa. that too being the worlds most populous country. So pakistan being overpopulated' isnt relevant. kills your argument dead in the water.

And any woman that listens gets shot. Not our fault at all tho..

Eh?

Obviously writing something down on a bit of paper at the un gives them the right to do it. They should at least start with the easy stuff 1st and go stop cannibal tribes making women push bits of horn though their noses.

You are mixing up your tribal cliches, none of which are relevant to this thread anyway
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
you were replying to my question, which was which was morally healthier, allowing women to wear what they want, or killing them becuase they dont comform - your answer was srewed up, regardless of adding weight.

You said healthier for society.

again, i said china will be the NEXT biggest economy following usa. that too being the worlds most populous country. So pakistan being overpopulated' isnt relevant. kills your argument dead in the water.

They had to reduce their population 1st tho. How "morally healthy" is that?
You said healthier for society. ?

yes and you inferred from that 'economic strength', which is way off the topic
clealry no right minded person can think shooting women for not conforming to islamic ideology is normal or jsutified. china hasnt 'reduced its population', check the statistics. And fyi it is still the most populous country
Original post by Formerly Helpful_C
So? If the main perpetrators are Muslim, then it is an Islamic problem.

Using the argument that you did is just a cop-out to avoid being branded a "racist".

See, this is where people are wrong, the main perpetrators are not Muslims but Pakistanis, note it is not a religion but a culture:angry:
Original post by prog2djent
And some people, I call them white european liberal-nihilist suicidists, say that no culture is superior to another, and criticising a culture, or suggesting the western european culture is superior in specific areas, let alone generally, is ... racist.

please tell me your taking the piss here?

critizing culture is not racist at all nor is thinking your culture is superior

you think those pakistani muslims dont think their culture is superior? You can bet they do, thats why there always whinging how immoral our culture, women and way of life is and how their fantastic god sent ways can sort out all our problems

bet you dont think thats racist do you? Am I not allowed to say that I think a secular free society is superior than a theocratic dictatorship? Is that racist? If it is then lock me up now

edit: on re reading you may have been taking the piss, i'll never know but i disagree with the concept its racist to state western european culture is superior
(edited 11 years ago)
No, this is not an 'Islamic problem'.
It's an education and culture problem.

And sadly, there is nothing anyone can really do to change it.
Religion strikes again.
Reply 68
Original post by badcheesecrispy

1. critizing culture is not racist at all nor is thinking your culture is superior

2. you think those pakistani muslims dont think their culture is superior? You can bet they do, thats why there always whinging how immoral our culture, women and way of life is and how their fantastic god sent ways can sort out all our problems

3. bet you dont think thats racist do you? Am I not allowed to say that I think a

Haha, I wasn't taking the piss, I am saying I hate people that say no culture is superior to another, and to suggest so is racist. I think you have read the opposite of what I was saying

1. I know

2. Yes, they do think theirs is superior, and I think mine is superior to theirs, and their are development indicators to prove so.
Original post by prog2djent
Haha, I wasn't taking the piss, I am saying I hate people that say no culture is superior to another, and to suggest so is racist. I think you have read the opposite of what I was saying

1. I know

2. Yes, they do think theirs is superior, and I think mine is superior to theirs, and their are development indicators to prove so.

i see, we are in agreement then :smile:
Original post by ihatepoems
What I'm saying is that due to aforementioned characteristics clearly applying to 'Indo-Chinese...' It is therefore understandable why he would 1) doctor the original quote 2) post an inflammatory article to provoke such a reaction.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I love how some Pakistani Muslims will just jump on any reason to hate Indians and Hindus. British Indians/Hindus are too spineless to say anything of course.
You're a hater and a loser. Indo-Chinese is not Indian or Hindu. Why can't you just attack arguments rather than attacking the person.

Thank God i have not grown up in the UK..the British asian community seems like a disgrace. Thankfully the Pakistanis in US and Australia are more educated and not as backwards as what many here sound like. My Pakistani friend mentioned that British Pakistanis are very regressive and strange/freaky..cousin marriages, not letting their girls have education.
You do realise hate won't help during this period of fasting.
i could call you a piece of **** as well but im above that.
This is getting depressing, hearing all of this stuff about honour killings during Ramandan.

Also people who say religion really need to stop, it's entirely culture and penetrates Pakistan muslims as well as Indian hindus (and perhaps Sikhs, I'm not sure). Both share common culture behaviors and attitudes.
Reply 72
This is a cultural problem exacerbated and reinforced by religious teaching in Islam.

-[Posted via mobile app]-
Original post by .eXe
This is a cultural problem exacerbated and reinforced by religious teaching in Islam.

-[Posted via mobile app]-

Your proof is...?

I'll await for a line from the Quran that justifies or exacerbates the murdering of ones own children under the guise of 'honour'. Seeing as I've read the entire thing, you'll really have me stumped if you do. :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Woops double post.
Reply 75
Original post by Mortalengines
Your proof is...?

I'll await for a line from the Quran that justifies or exacerbates the murdering of ones own children under the guise of 'honour'. Seeing as I've read the entire thing, you'll really have me stumped if you do. :rolleyes:

If you need proof you haven't spent enough time in this forum.

And this thread is just going to turn into another Islam debate, which is not the intent so if you really want proof, start another thread.
Original post by Mortalengines
This is getting depressing, hearing all of this stuff about honour killings during Ramandan.

Also people who say religion really need to stop, it's entirely culture and penetrates Pakistan muslims as well as Indian hindus (and perhaps Sikhs, I'm not sure). Both share common culture behaviors and attitudes.

The point was made previously, this isnt a phenomenan isolated to one geographical area, nor is it only pakistanis various- countries accross the world report such crimes ( they they dont always define as 'honour' murders) In the west it seems largely honour killings are undertaken by immigrant populations, and of those mainly muslim ones. recent cases in canada and usa featured muslim men beheading their wives while chanting islamic slogans. In the uk we have numerous cases of murders by fathers/brothers of muslim families. They have not been all pakistani, some have been iraqi, afgani, turkish - but those were all muslim so national culture is an often blamed, but clearly wrongly singled out factor
and to the other chap Ihatepoems, the thread is to serve notice of this case happening, seems foolish being inflammed by the thread, instead of being inflammed by the crime..
Original post by Formerly Helpful_C
So? If the main perpetrators are Muslim, then it is an Islamic problem.

Using the argument that you did is just a cop-out to avoid being branded a "racist".

Perhaps, though identity is much wider than just 'Muslim'. There are a number of criteria involved here, from the political beliefs of the family, to the condition of the 'family unit' in middle class Pakistan, of which are equal factors.

That's like saying that middle class Anglican Christianity in Somerset is the same as the Westboro Baptist church because they're both "Christian". Obviously religion is a factor in the motives of someone who would commit such a crime, but then so are a lot of things. You forget just how fragmented the 1.5 Billion Muslim population is. Islam in Pakistan might look completely alien to the Islam practised just next door in rural Afghanistan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending