The Student Room Group

Oxford 2012 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by candide
Just did my tv interview for going to Oxford. They made me do it sitting on a rock on the beach. Answered the questions through clattering teeth it was so cold!

And lol my mum has made me a framed photo of our island to hang up on the wall 'in case I miss home.' :O

How romantic, here's our windswept academic: watch them contract hypothermia.
Did it go ok?

Bless your mum.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1181
Original post by whimsicality
How romantic, here's our windswept academic: watch them contract hypothermia.
Did it go ok?

Bless your mum.

I even had to do inspirationally walking along the shore whilst looking out to sea...

Yeah, I felt like Brian Cox, with the wind howling and the Atlantic pounding, as I explained (expounded!) why I loved neuroscience so much.

:biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by shoshin
Further to the Oxford Union posts, the term card isn't available in print till Freshers' Week so I wondered if anyone might want a link to it online:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/106599178/Michaelmas-2012-Oxford-Union

Last year Johnny Depp was the star attraction; looks like we have Kerry Katona this time :s-smilie:

Not that I'm that interested by these two, but there will also be Lionel Richie and McFly who are considerably more headline-worthy than Kerry Katona :P. Have to say I'm more excited by Lord Ashdown, Dambisa Moyo, Lord Patten and Andrew Marr! Also some great people appearing in the debates like Professor Grayling, Peter Hitchens (if only for comedy value) and Daniel Hannan.
Original post by Chazzybish
Not that I'm that interested by these two, but there will also be Lionel Richie and McFly who are considerably more headline-worthy than Kerry Katona :P. Have to say I'm more excited by Lord Ashdown, Dambisa Moyo, Lord Patten and Andrew Marr! Also some great people appearing in the debates like Professor Grayling, Peter Hitchens (if only for comedy value) and Daniel Hannan.

You're right of course; I'm ashamed to admit that I unfairly juxtaposed Johnny Depp and Kerry Katona's headlining appeal for cheap comic effect :colondollar:
Original post by shoshin
You're right of course; I'm ashamed to admit that I unfairly juxtaposed Johnny Depp and Kerry Katona's headlining appeal for cheap comic effect :colondollar:

Someone mentioned earlier that you have to pay to attend some speaker events/debates even if you're a member - to what extent will that be the case this term, do you have any idea? I'm still trying to weigh up whether it's worth getting membership, but I have to say there's pretty much something I want to go to every other day so I don't know why I'm questioning it :P.
Original post by shoshin
Further to the Oxford Union posts, the term card isn't available in print till Freshers' Week so I wondered if anyone might want a link to it online:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/106599178/Michaelmas-2012-Oxford-Union

Last year Johnny Depp was the star attraction; looks like we have Kerry Katona this time :s-smilie:
I didn't think I'd want to join the OU, but it looks like it could be rather interesting!

Someone mentioned earlier that you have to pay to attend some speaker events/debates even if you're a member - to what extent will that be the case this term, do you have any idea?
I'd be interested in the answer to this.
Someone mentioned earlier that you have to pay to attend some speaker events/debates even if you're a member - to what extent will that be the case this term, do you have any idea?

I wouldn't worry about this particular issue. Most events are free for members and if you ever have to pay, it will be for something that will be so impressive you will just be glad you were a member and able to go.

Don't forget that Freshers have two weeks' open access to the Union at the start of term, so plenty of opportunity to make an assessment :smile:
Original post by shoshin
Don't forget that Freshers have two weeks' open access to the Union at the start of term, so plenty of opportunity to make an assessment :smile:
Oh really? That's awesome :biggrin:
Original post by shoshin
I wouldn't worry about this particular issue. Most events are free for members and if you ever have to pay, it will be for something that will be so impressive you will just be glad you were a member and able to go.

Thank you - that's very helpful! I guess I'll just wait until I get there then to make sure!
Original post by fluteflute
Oh really? That's awesome :biggrin:

Yes, consider yourself effectively a member till, IIRC, Thursday of Week Two :smile: The membership fee is reduced during this period too. Then at the end of the fortnight they say something like 'did we mention that Johnny Depp and Snow Patrol are here next week? Shame you won't be able to come.. or perhaps you would like to join?' :reel:
Original post by shoshin
Yes, consider yourself effectively a member till, IIRC, Thursday of Week Two :smile: The membership fee is reduced during this period too. Then at the end of the fortnight they say something like 'did we mention that Johnny Depp and Snow Patrol are here next week? Shame you won't be able to come.. or perhaps you would like to join?' :reel:

:lol: I think I'll just pay for the events I'm interested in :smile: I won't have time :no:

Original post by Julialala
No idea what building I'm in but I have an en suite and a kitchen. If ever you need a place to start fires, my kitchen will always be open. :wink:

How are everyone's cooking skills? Any horror stories? :biggrin:

A friend of mine tried to make tea by putting the kettle in the microwave. I've not done anything quite that bad, but I did almost set fire to an aubergine yesterday.

Original post by such_a_lady
I am going to attempt to bake once a week :awesome:

:five: Maybe not every week, but cake tins and baking sheets are in the heap on the floor that at the moment constitutes my "packing".
Original post by anyone_can_fly
A friend of mine tried to make tea by putting the kettle in the microwave. I've not done anything quite that bad, but I did almost set fire to an aubergine yesterday.

:five: Maybe not every week, but cake tins and baking sheets are in the heap on the floor that at the moment constitutes my "packing".

:lolwut: :teehee: :lolwut: Surely you're joking? Surely?

I can't even start packing yet as I'm away Monday through Thursday next week. :sigh:
I am loving these cooking disaster stories. I'll add one to the mix: my sister tried to make that microwave porridge and duly stuck the bowl in the microwave. After a while she came to check with me- "Chiara, don't you think this is a bit funny? It says 22 1/2 minutes on the packet...". I looked and it said 2 1/2 minutes. The thing had already been in the microwave for about 17 minutes and had of course exploded everywhere. :facepalm:

It's so tempting to add mine to TSR but I'm holding off until I actually start writing about Oxford :tongue:

How candid do you think a Freshers' blog should be?
Original post by medbh4805

Hmm. Depends, really. I'd say candid enough to keep it compelling but perhaps not so candid that something you write would embarrass you later. Of course, that's clearly dependent on how easily one's embarrassed. I mean, it's a personal piece of writing, so one's own opinions are (and honesty is) clearly desirable to an extent.

It's so tempting to add mine to TSR but I'm holding off until I actually start writing about Oxford :tongue:

In all fairness mine isn't specifically about Oxford yet, and probably won't be solely about Oxford even when I come up...
Original post by medbh4805

This is incredibly stupid but mine's going to be completely truthful. It's not intended to be a name and shame, but if that happens, well...

Spoiler

Edit: Having taken Jess and Grainne's comments on board, I'm going to use nicknames for now. :smile:

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by KingMessi
:lolwut: :teehee: :lolwut: Surely you're joking? Surely?

I can't even start packing yet as I'm away Monday through Thursday next week. :sigh:

She also tried to cook an onion by putting it into a pan, whole, without any water. (She's studying engineering, which to my mind makes it worse.)

This is incredibly stupid but mine's going to be completely truthful. It's not intended to be a name and shame, but if that happens, well...

You can always say "a certain person", or change some details about someone, or use a pseudonym if you think there's a possibility they might be offended?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending