The Student Room Group

How much had you learnt after 10 hours of lessons?

So far I have had 10 hours worth of lessons between 2 instructors. I started with a local company of which I did a 2 hour lesson and loved it. Within the first 10 minutes I was on the road and felt comfortable and confident. During those 2 hours I mainly did left hand turns and just stopping/starting and changing gears. I had two lessons booked with the same instructor the following week but he had to cancel one and I had to cancel the other. Me being impatient decided to change companies and spur of the moment picked BSM thinking they would be better than a local company. With BSM ive had 8 hours of lessons and I honestly dont think im doing great. Im losing confidence because im basically not even on proper roads yet. Ive done a turn in the road which im getting better at and did 1 sweeping left reverse today which I found quite hard. Apart from that we've just being driving around side roads and the nearest ive got to what I would call 'proper' driving was today when I actually drove from my house up to a main road of which then the instructor and I swapped seats and he drove the rest of the way to where I practice. I also took a wrong turn today which meant we had to drive around the block and this gave me a chance to go on roads with cars at 30mph etc.

Im not sure whether its me or the way im being taught but I just feel like im going nowhere. It might be that ive just got really high expectations and I need to calm them down abit or the fact that the driving instructor is trying to get as much money out of me as possible and therefore is spreading everything out. Ive talked to a friend who is with another local company and she has had 5 hours of professional lessons as well as about 10 hours practise in her own car and her instructor is letting her on dual carriageways etc. I know you shouldnt compare yourself to others because everyones different but somethings telling me I should be doing more than I am at the moment.

Im trying to work out whether it was a mistake to change instructors at the start and whether would be worth trying someone else. BSM are charging £25 an hour for lessons which is more than most other companies and at the rate im going im going to be spending at least £1000 on lessons and a month of provisional insurance which I wasnt expecting.

Basically - How much had you learnt after 10 lessons and what sort of things were you doing in your lessons/how much freedom had you been given?

Scroll to see replies

that I'm a crap driver
I had done every maneuver at least once and was frequently driving down main roads.
Pretty sure I'd done almost everything.
Then again, my instructor likes getting everything covered early and then spend longer perfecting them all at the same time.

I think swapping to a bigger driving school was a bad move.
Swap back, even if only because you felt more confident.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Well after 10 lessons I had covered, roundabouts, turning left and right at junctions, T - junctions, and crossroads - i think that was pretty much it.

With me i was a nervous wreck so i didn't do that much...my instructor started pilling stuff on me when i became more confident.

If i was you, i would probably go back to your first instructor because trust me, ive had 3 instructors and my second one MADE A LOT OF MONEY OUT OF ME. Its best for you to eb with your first one because as you said you were confident and once you start to lose your confidence in driving because of a different instructor thats not a good thing. If you go back to your first instuctor then without doubt you'll be doing a lot of things, if you get what i mean, you won't be driving half way and then having to change seats with the instructor.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
I had done every maneuver at least once and was frequently driving down main roads.
Pretty sure I'd done almost everything.
Then again, my instructor likes getting everything covered early and then spend longer perfecting them all at the same time.

I think swapping to a bigger driving school was a bad move.
Swap back, even if only because you felt more confident.

That is what my new instructor is like - do everything first and get it all sorted so all I have to concentrate on is perfecting them. By 10 hours with my old one, I was probably at where you are - it was a WASTE. With my new one.... well its different. I already had the basics from my old (albeit rubbish) instructor, and we're kind of doing it intensively, so after 10 hours.... hmmm... well that was just Monday. I was doing all manouevres and driving everywhere from pickup!
Reply 5
I was going along main roads i think, and just generally working on maneuvers. Probably dual carriageway (which have 3 lanes in my area...) around 15 hours. However, i also know someone who after 30 hours of lessons hadn't even turned right yet - just 30 hours of going around and around in a circle... it just depends on how confident you feel. If you want some more main road driving maybe you should ask and see what they say. Its not exactly that much different to driving otherwise!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by linkdapink
That is what my new instructor is like - do everything first and get it all sorted so all I have to concentrate on is perfecting them. By 10 hours with my old one, I was probably at where you are - it was a WASTE. With my new one.... well its different. I already had the basics from my old (albeit rubbish) instructor, and we're kind of doing it intensively, so after 10 hours.... hmmm... well that was just Monday. I was doing all manouevres and driving everywhere from pickup!

Waitwait, so are you saying doing it all first is good or bad? (I'm having a comprehension fail at the minute).

I've been happy with doing everything though. Just booked my test today for September 7th. O:
Reply 7
I wouldn't worry, 10 lessons isn't that many. I'm approaching 30 hours and I'm still not ready for my test (I've not taken to driving that easily though). I wasn't driving on proper roads (i.e. dual carriageways, huge roundabouts and doing all my monuvres) until I'd done about 13 hours. Everyone is different and I know some people who have passed in 16 hours and some that have passed in 80 hours. So I wouldn't panic just see how everything goes and just be honest and talk to your instructor about how he/she feels your progressing. Mine is dead honest, if I've had a bad lesson he'll be like 'it wasn't your best today but we'll work on it'.
Reply 8
I mean the BSM instructor is all 'i say things how it is' and 'im not out to get as much money off you as possible' but im just weary because people just spend so much on lessons that are a waste

I went to a car park with my dad yesterday to practise and considering ive had 8 hours of lessons since the last time I was out with him he said he still wouldnt be comfortable with me driving on main roads and him as a passenger.

ive also read so much about how BSM try and get as much money out of you as possible and its really got me skeptical about them
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Waitwait, so are you saying doing it all first is good or bad? (I'm having a comprehension fail at the minute).

I've been happy with doing everything though. Just booked my test today for September 7th. O:

Sorry lol, I wasn't very clear either.

My first instructor was very very money-grabbing it seems. I spent about 20 hours of lessons with her, and never really did more than left and right turns... it just took forever, because she was never satisfied unless I had done everything perfectly. And I mean perfect mirror checks etc.

My new instructor said that I may as well see everything that I'll need to see and do as soon as possible - so had me doing manoeuvres and roundabouts straight away (on very quiet roads) so that I could see and do everything straight away and wasn't "frightened" of anything.

When I said I already knew the basics, that being a good thing, its true, it probably benefitted me more... but not 20hours of lessons of it! I just think I could have been pushed more with my first instructor instead of spending so much time worrying about mirrors and perfect turns!
Reply 10
Original post by ********
Well after 10 lessons I had covered, roundabouts, turning left and right at junctions, T - junctions, and crossroads - i think that was pretty much it.

With me i was a nervous wreck so i didn't do that much...my instructor started pilling stuff on me when i became more confident.

If i was you, i would probably go back to your first instructor because trust me, ive had 3 instructors and my second one MADE A LOT OF MONEY OUT OF ME. Its best for you to eb with your first one because as you said you were confident and once you start to lose your confidence in driving because of a different instructor thats not a good thing. If you go back to your first instuctor then without doubt you'll be doing a lot of things, if you get what i mean, you won't be driving half way and then having to change seats with the instructor.

see this is where I thought I would be after 10 hours and he hasnt even mentioned half of this stuff. I agree with the confidence thing, I was really looking forward to driving and was almost on a high after the first lesson but when I changed I came back home after my first lesson and was stressed. Even my mum said 'I can sense that you didnt enjoy that as much as your other lesson' :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by shauna11795
see this is where I thought I would be after 10 hours and he hasnt even mentioned half of this stuff. I agree with the confidence thing, I was really looking forward to driving and was almost on a high after the first lesson but when I changed I came back home after my first lesson and was stressed. Even my mum said 'I can sense that you didnt enjoy that as much as your other lesson' :frown:

I seriously advise you to go back to your first instructor because as you enjoyed your driving with that instructor you will deffo do much much more with that instructor.
Honestly, I don't even remember :sigh:
Reply 13
I think i will change back to my original instructor or another local one, any idea how to tell my current instructor that i wont be requiring anymore lessons? Ive got my last 2 hour lesson with him Monday as its already been paid for.
Reply 14
Well my instructor was really good and seemed to think you just had to go for it, so on my first lesson I’d done several turn in the roads (three-point turn) and was out on the busy main roads after half an hour.

By 10 lessons I’d learnt pretty much everything, I certainly wasn’t at test standard after 10 lessons but I could manage all the manoeuvres (sometimes after several attempts) and could drive around fairly confidently.

My friend on the other hand wasn’t allowed out of the car park until about her sixth lesson. Another friend hadn’t learnt all the manoeuvres or even been into fifth gear until about her 30th lesson. I don’t think this was because they were slow learners, I think it was more to do with bad instructing and getting them to have more lessons than they needed.

The problem with big companies is that they’re all about making money so they’re bound to drag it out for longer than necessary.
Reply 15
I think i will change back to my original instructor or another local one, any idea how to tell my current instructor that i wont be requiring anymore lessons? Ive got my last 2 hour lesson with him Monday as its already been paid for.

When I changed my instructor, I simply had the lesson with her as it was booked and payed for and I didn't book in another lesson with her.

Or you could make your parents phone the driving school and tell the receptionist (if there is one) that you wont be taking anymore driving lessons from them.
Reply 16
Original post by ********
When I changed my instructor, I simply had the lesson with her as it was booked and payed for and I didn't book in another lesson with her.

Or you could make your parents phone the driving school and tell the receptionist (if there is one) that you wont be taking anymore driving lessons from them.

well he will say to me 'so when shall we have our next lesson?' and i dont know how to reply to it. Im on holiday the following week anyway so wouldnt be having a lesson with him but ill need to say beforehand that im going somewhere else. Its awkward because ive had quite a few lessons with him already and hes probably got the impression that everythings going fine...
ive had 15 hours of lessons so far and this is what i've done:

lessons 1 - 5 : starting, stopping, driving on quiet roads (only straight, around bends)
lessons 6 - 8 : 3 point turn (turn in road)
lessons 9 - 15 : left turns and right turns (t junctions, crossroads and a small roundabout)

ur not doing bad at all!
Reply 18
well he will say to me 'so when shall we have our next lesson?' and i dont know how to reply to it. Im on holiday the following week anyway so wouldnt be having a lesson with him but ill need to say beforehand that im going somewhere else. Its awkward because ive had quite a few lessons with him already and hes probably got the impression that everythings going fine...

Yeah I get what you mean.
Errrmmm, well we he asks you "so when shall we have our next lesson?", you could say, "well im going on holiday soon and I'm quite busy at the moment with all the shopping and packing but I will let you know when I come back" and when you come back simpy don't contact him. In that way you won't even have a lesson booked in with him. I know this sounds horrible and sly but I guess at times things like this has to be done in order to get somewhere if you get what i mean :/

Thats what I did with my instructor....she asked me when shall i book you in next and i was like i'm not sure but i'll text you and i never did.
It is pretty hard figuring out what to say especially as you've had quite a few lessons and its worst when the instructor is actually nice.

I hope i've helped.....if you do need anymore help just quote me....ive had 3 instructors and ive got quite a lot of experience in changing instructors and cancelling lessons lol
I've done about 7 hours of tuition so far and I've covered:

Turns and junctions (including T junctions and crossroads)
Roundabouts (including major roundabouts and light operated)
Dual carriageways
Meeting situations
Reversing round a corner
Accelerating to and maintaining speeds of up to 60 mph.

My next lesson will cover 2 or 3 basic manoeuvres.

I am doing an intensive course of 30 lessons though, so probably a bit faster than normal! My driving instructor says that after 10 hours of tuition I will know everything I need for my test - the rest is practising, perfecting and gaining more experience. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending