The Student Room Group

Warwick PPE or Reapply?

Hi Guys,

Essentially my situation is that I've got a place at Warwick to do PPE (Starting in October 2012) for which the requirement was 38 points (IB). I've got my results and I've somehow managed to get 44. Getting advice from some people to just go to Warwick and from others to reapply to places like Cambridge, LSE, UCL etc. If i did reapply i'd likely go for something like Human Social and Political Sciences at Cambridge and Politics/IR elsewhere.

My grades are: 11 A*s at GCSE

And in the IB:
HL Maths 6
HL Econ 7
HL Latin 7
SL Eng 7
SL Bio 7
SL Hist 7
Bonus points 3
Overall: 44.

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone may have for me!

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Warwick is bloody brilliant for PPE and is basically one of the first-target uni's for finance related jobs. Essentially, you would not regret Warwick. Ultimately it's your choice, but wasting a year for a slightly insignificant academic jump up the ladder could be mistake. Good luck anyway.
I would say go to Warwick- unless you are 100% sure you are going to get into Cambridge. There isn't much of a difference at all between Warwick and UCL, if any. As Rachoo12 said, why waste a year... for something which *may* not necessarily have the outcome you want?

Prospective Economics student at Warwick speaking here, pooled and then rejected by Cambridge, and I chose Warwick over UCL.
I'd say the only reason for you to reapply is if you don't like the PPE course, and want to seriously pursue Politics/IR instead. Otherwise, it's wiser to keep Warwick's offer and not waste a year.
Reply 4
Most of the top universities have already said they are full and will not be offering last-minute places through Clearing. Also, although they're allowed to recruit extra students who got grades of AAB or more (I don't know how IB works but I assume your grade is better than that since it's higher than the entry requirements for Warwick), Oxford and Cambridge have ruled out expanding in this way. So regardless of your grades, I wouldn't rate your chances of getting in somewhere else very highly at this stage.

(Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/aug/10/alevel-results-university-clearing-rush )

Warwick is a top university, not as well-known by the general public as Oxbridge but certainly very well-regarded by employers.

Remember your course is not 100% fixed, you can choose modules and give it the focus you're interested in. And if you really desperately want to change to Politics/IR, talk to your tutor and see what can be done. I know someone who started out doing Maths and Physics and swapped to straight Physics, and another who started out doing French and History and swapped to History and Culture (which meant they still did a bit of French literature and film, but didn't have to do the year abroad or language modules). So there may be some room for flexibility.
Reply 5
Thanks for you advice guys. In reply to Keziah, I would take a gap year and reapply to start in Sep/Oct 2013 rather than trying to get in this year.
Original post by ak8000
Thanks for you advice guys. In reply to Keziah, I would take a gap year and reapply to start in Sep/Oct 2013 rather than trying to get in this year.

Do you genuinely feel strongly against going to Warwick? You haven't said how you feel about any of this.
Reply 7
YOLO

Original post by ak8000
Hi Guys,

Essentially my situation is that I've got a place at Warwick to do PPE (Starting in October 2012) for which the requirement was 38 points (IB). I've got my results and I've somehow managed to get 44. Getting advice from some people to just go to Warwick and from others to reapply to places like Cambridge, LSE, UCL etc. If i did reapply i'd likely go for something like Human Social and Political Sciences at Cambridge and Politics/IR elsewhere.

And in the IB:
HL Maths 6
HL Econ 7
HL Latin 7
SL Eng 7
SL Bio 7
SL Hist 7
Bonus points 3

Thanks
Reply 8
Warwick is pretty damn good.
Original post by u0b2
YOLO

GTFO
Reply 10
Original post by such_a_lady
Do you genuinely feel strongly against going to Warwick? You haven't said how you feel about any of this.

No, i have nothing against going to Warwick per se (although it does sometimes attract allegations that its 'boring' or 'in the middle of nowhere'), its more that i wonder if i might have an easier time of it emerging from university with an LSE or Cambridge degree rather than a Warwick one.
Nothing to add except 44 points is damn good. Congratulations
Original post by ak8000
x.
Reply 12
Thank you Aeschylus!
Ah!!!! I'm an IB student too, exactly in the opposite of your situation! I'm starting Politics and International Studies this year and would happily kill to get onto PPE. Out of interest, have you made any decisions regarding this?
Reply 14
Go to Warwick. It's a top 10 university and is widely recognised as a good one. The only reason why I would say you should re-apply is if you don't like the PPE course, which you don't seem to. Seriously, go to Warwick it's a very respectable uni. Also, I know some people do say it's in the middle of nowhere, but uni is what you make it and you will grow to love where ever you live!
Be happy with Warwick :smile: I'm jealous of you getting onto that course. If I took a gap year I would reapply at Warwick for PPE.
Reply 16
Original post by michaelyippy
Ah!!!! I'm an IB student too, exactly in the opposite of your situation! I'm starting Politics and International Studies this year and would happily kill to get onto PPE. Out of interest, have you made any decisions regarding this?

Yeh i've decided to go to warwick. Where do you have a place to do politics and international studies?
Original post by ak8000
No, i have nothing against going to Warwick per se (although it does sometimes attract allegations that its 'boring' or 'in the middle of nowhere'), its more that i wonder if i might have an easier time of it emerging from university with an LSE or Cambridge degree rather than a Warwick one.

Ex-Warwick student here (albeit Chemistry not PPE)...

Warwick Uni can seem as though it's in the middle of nowhere, as all of the main routes to the campus (the A46 mainly) are cross-country and make it seem like the university is in the middle of the countryside with nothing around it. In actual fact, the campus is on the south edge of Coventry City Centre, and in fact is nowhere near the historical town from which it takes it's name.

The majority of students live in Coventry itself after their first year, and are able to walk to campus in minutes. It's also about a 25min bus trip to the train station in the centre of the city. From there, it's just over 20mins by train to Birmingham New Street (slap bang in the centre of Brum). Coventry has something of a rep for being a bit boring and not all that attractive, but I spent many weekends visiting friends at various other unis around the country and it's just a typical small city really. It's certainly comparable to Stoke and Sheffield, two places that I spent a great deal of time visiting.

I lived in Leamington Spa for my 2nd-4th years and although it's a bit further from the uni (~40mins - in rush hour - by a very regular uni bus service, less if you drive!) it's a wonderfully vibrant student town, with a brilliant night life (and a little bit more upmarket than Cov).

Believe me, there is no way that Warwick is boring. My less-than-impressive degree and many, many, many amazing memories are testament to that! :smile:
Original post by ak8000
Yeh i've decided to go to warwick. Where do you have a place to do politics and international studies?

Good choice- I'm going to be starting at Warwick too. I reckon I'll just have to change in my second year :smile:
Original post by ak8000
Hi Guys,

And in the IB:
HL Maths 6
HL Econ 7
HL Latin 7
SL Eng 7
SL Bio 7
SL Hist 7
Bonus points 3

Thanks

Reapply, you're too good for Warwick #YOLO.

To answer seriously though, only you will know for certain whether you would be content studying at Warwick. If I was in your position I'd reapply. Which universities did you apply to the first time round?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending