The Student Room Group

Got letter today telling me I am £26k in debt with the SLC

If that's not a reason to avoid uni like the plague, then nothing is.

I only work part-time in Sainsbury's. :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Surely you don't have to pay anything until you are earning over a certain threshold?

Are you under serious financial pressure? If so, please warn me, but if not you could be scaring away some intelligent disadvantaged kids right now :s-smilie:
26K in debt and you're not even at uni, wth have you been buying.
Original post by Octohedral
Surely you don't have to pay anything until you are earning over a certain threshold?

Are you under serious financial pressure? If so, please warn me, but if not you could be scaring away some intelligent disadvantaged kids right now :s-smilie:

Of course I don't pay anything back until I earn over the threshold, and I don't intend to scare anyone.

But it's a lot of money, so please don't end up like me and lose interest in what you study! :colone:
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I don't intend to scare anyone.

You practically told visiting students to 'avoid uni like the plague'.
Reply 5
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
If that's not a reason to avoid uni like the plague, then nothing is.

I only work part-time in Sainsbury's. :s-smilie:

Don't scare others into not getting an education.
Debt is the reality of a university education. I owe more than the OP but I consider it to have been worth it. Others possibly don't. I think that not discussing it for fear of 'scaring' people is a bit silly in all honesty as everyone is going to get those letters each year. Might as well be prepared for them :smile:
Reply 7
If I recall one of your posts correctly you had to restart a year 5 times and you are at Brunel. Just because you failed it does not mean everyone else has, you're spreading poisonous misinformation.
Reply 8
Original post by meenu89
Don't scare others into not getting an education.

It's too late, I'm now turning down my offer to study at King's and returning to the mean streets of Tottenham to deal some weed or something :frown:
I love being scottish.
I'll hopefully be in less that £15k debt by the end of my degree.
Reply 10
Original post by devils_nose
Debt is the reality of a university education. I owe more than the OP but I consider it to have been worth it. Others possibly don't. I think that not discussing it for fear of 'scaring' people is a bit silly in all honesty as everyone is going to get those letters each year. Might as well be prepared for them :smile:

It's not the discussion, it's when people like OP make posts like he did.
Reply 11
Original post by BoyceAvenue
I love being scottish.
I'll hopefully be in less that £15k debt by the end of my degree.

easy life for some.......

at least we get a real education in england.
Original post by dj1015
easy life for some.......

at least we get a real education in england.

LOL really?
Explain to me how your degree will be any better than mine :smile:
Original post by meenu89
It's not the discussion, it's when people like OP make posts like he did.

I discussed it - ergo..

Clearly he doesn't think it was worth it, I think that's a shame, but I also think that the odd negative comment about debt here and there will not put many off. I do also believe that the price for education is high and marched against the price hikes accordingly. Whether the tone of the original post was to your liking or not, I expect we will se more posts like this in the future and we shouldn't brush them under the carpet as people stirring up trouble.

(although I do note the amount of neg rep the OP has so appreciate I might be wading into some history I am unaware of regarding this particular poster)
Reply 14
LOL really?
Explain to me how your degree will be any better than mine :smile:

dont question. to question is to misrepresent....

Englang > Scotland. Thats all you need to know.

Besides, if I was looking at CV's of graduates. The first thing I think when I see a Scottish uni is, Freeloader...
Original post by Octohedral

Yup. Unless they overpaid you and I think they can ask for it back if you drop out part way through the year?
Original post by dj1015
dont question. to question is to misrepresent....

Englang > Scotland. Thats all you need to know.

Besides, if I was looking at CV's of graduates. The first thing I think when I see a Scottish uni is, Freeloader...

Your first point is a stupid argument.

But I agree with the second one, when I was filling positions English universities on a CV showed more commitment to their education, more investment if you wish.
However wouldn't exactly say I assumed 'freeloader' with a Scottish degree.
Reply 17
Your first point is a stupid argument.

But I agree with the second one, when I was filling positions English universities on a CV showed more commitment to their education, more investment if you wish.
However wouldn't exactly say I assumed 'freeloader' with a Scottish degree.

it doesn't show anything. None of this is relevant.

All that is true, is that Scottish students have it easier.
Reply 18
20 grand in debt here. I don't give a ****.
Original post by dj1015
it doesn't show anything. None of this is relevant.

All that is true, is that Scottish students have it easier.

You have mis-spelled 'cheaper'. I have highlighted your mistake for you so you can see where you went wrong :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending