The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Accommodation FAQ + Accommodation Choices Thread Mark III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by georgiakate
How do we know what time we're supposed to show up? Or does it not matter? My friends at other unis have been allocated a specific time but I can't find anything like this for Manchester. If anyone has advice pleeeease reply - I'm supposed to be there on Saturday!

You just have to pitch up at some point during the day (I think they specify opening hours - if in doubt go for office hours) and join the queue for keys.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Hi, I'm a fresher living in Owen's Park (Tree court, not the Tower, thank God) and I'm thinking of transferring to a self-catered place in Victoria Park. I applied for three self-catered places and put catering type as my preference, but ended up in catered anyway. So it goes. But while I'd love to transfer, I'd quite like to know a bit more about where I'm applying first.

So if anyone lives in one of the self-catered halls in VP (I think it's just Victoria, Burkhardt and Canterbury),or knows someone that does, I'd be really grateful for any info on, say, how nice the rooms are, how well the kitchens work (we have kitchenettes here where half the hobs don't work and the oven takes half an hour to warm up), maybe a picture of your room if you don't mind, for size-judging purposes.

Thanks a million in advance!
Reply 382
I'm in Victoria Hall, the rooms are pretty nice. The flats have 4 or five people in each, I share my kitchen with 3 other people but my brother in the same halls shares with 4 other people. The kitchens all seem to be in order, and if anything has broke through no fault of your own you can go to the 24hr maintenance guy who will fix it soon, depending on how urgent it is. Here's some pictures of my messy room:
P1020380_1024.jpegP1020381_1024.jpegP1020382_1024.jpegP1020383_1024.jpeg

I've also got a couple of friends in Burkadt, the rooms are slightly bigger I think, but they aren't as new as Victoria. The kitchen and living area are separate rooms, and slightly bigger than Victoria Halls, but they have more people in their flat, I think they might have 5 or 6 in their flat.
Canterbury Court's pretty good. I'll post some pics later :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 384
I am in Victoria Hall and it's v.good. Just bear in mind that there is no common room so if you want to meet people you have to go door-knocking or invite them over, and you have to pay extra for internet. Good luck!
Reply 385
These are two I'd like to apply for. They're on the Fallowfield campus. Are they socialable, do they have that legendary Fallowfield social scene that I've heard all about? Cheers!
Reply 386
ROOM AVAILABLE - SHEAVYN HOUSE

If anyone wants to or knows anyone who wants to move into this accommodation give me a shout.
I am looking to move out and need to fill the room.
Reply 387
Yeah, its very sociable. Flats of 9/10 people in Sheavyn so you always have someone to do something with.
If you are looking to move into Sheavyn, I have a room going as I am moving out.
Original post by Dpdr
These are two I'd like to apply for. They're on the Fallowfield campus. Are they socialable, do they have that legendary Fallowfield social scene that I've heard all about? Cheers!

Yes, they are sociable (as are all halls on Fallowfield campus).

Be aware, however, that self catered en suite accommodation tends to be some of the most in-demand accommodation, so you aren't guaranteed to get them. You should consider using your third choice for a catered or shared bathroom hall, to minimise the chances of getting dumped somewhere really random like St Anselms!
Reply 389
Hoping someone can help me out;
when i go to uni i'll be 21/22 i already live in manchester, but want to move out into halls. i was wondering if there was any such system in place at manchester where older students/gap yearies were placed in flats together? the age thing doesn't bother me massively as i want to live in fallowfield in a "party" hall but yeah, does anyone know anything about this?
Original post by crowsy
Hoping someone can help me out;
when i go to uni i'll be 21/22 i already live in manchester, but want to move out into halls. i was wondering if there was any such system in place at manchester where older students/gap yearies were placed in flats together? the age thing doesn't bother me massively as i want to live in fallowfield in a "party" hall but yeah, does anyone know anything about this?

You could, I believe, move into postgrad halls, because you'll be a mature student (do double check this first, though). However, postgrad halls tend to be the antithesis of the party halls that you wish for.

When I lived in Oak House - one of the "party" halls - my flat was 50% gap year and 50% straight from school (I was one of the gappers), which leads me to believe that there is no policy of separating people who have had a gap year (or, in the case of one person I knew in OH, two gap years). However, the age difference was never an issue and how well people got on with each other bore no relation to whether they had had a gap year or not. Indeed, I had friends (from outside halls) of all ages, from 1st years straight from school through to 22yo fourth-year finalists. Indeed, it took me ages to realise that a girl I now live with is 22 and not 19, as I had originally assumed her to be!

If you don't make your age an issue, then it won't be. Socially speaking, your best bet will be to go into regular undergrad halls. Whilst you might find yourself teaching an ill-equipped 18 year old the finer points of how to cook pasta, that (always very small) aspect tends to fade fairly rapidly and you can get on with things.
Reply 391
Original post by Origami Bullets
You could, I believe, move into postgrad halls, because you'll be a mature student (do double check this first, though). However, postgrad halls tend to be the antithesis of the party halls that you wish for.

When I lived in Oak House - one of the "party" halls - my flat was 50% gap year and 50% straight from school (I was one of the gappers), which leads me to believe that there is no policy of separating people who have had a gap year (or, in the case of one person I knew in OH, two gap years). However, the age difference was never an issue and how well people got on with each other bore no relation to whether they had had a gap year or not. Indeed, I had friends (from outside halls) of all ages, from 1st years straight from school through to 22yo fourth-year finalists. Indeed, it took me ages to realise that a girl I now live with is 22 and not 19, as I had originally assumed her to be!

If you don't make your age an issue, then it won't be. Socially speaking, your best bet will be to go into regular undergrad halls. Whilst you might find yourself teaching an ill-equipped 18 year old the finer points of how to cook pasta, that (always very small) aspect tends to fade fairly rapidly and you can get on with things.

thanks very much, i'm just worried about getting irritable but yeah, i wanna move out really badly so i suppose it outweighs it!

manchester don't state living distance in accommodation guarantees do they? i live about 9 miles from campus so would that be okay? also i started a degree and left-does this affect the guarantee too?
Original post by crowsy
thanks very much, i'm just worried about getting irritable but yeah, i wanna move out really badly so i suppose it outweighs it!

manchester don't state living distance in accommodation guarantees do they? i live about 9 miles from campus so would that be okay? also i started a degree and left-does this affect the guarantee too?

Distance isn't a factor in the university's guarantee. The guarantee is that if you meet the conditions, then you will get a place

are coming to University alone

are studying for your first degree

have submitted an application for accommodation by 31 August of the year of entry

have met the conditions of your offer by 31 August

are applying for accommodation for a full academic session (I.e. September to June)

However, the university has an oversupply of accommodation - this year Allen Hall, one court of Owens Park and (apparently) one other court of another Fallowfield halls shut, simply because they didn't have the students to fill them.

I'm willing to bet that anyone who does apply, even if they don't meet the conditions, will get a place in halls - it may not be precisely the halls they wanted, but you will get halls.
I've had an unconditional offer for 2013, if I accept this does the earlier I my accommodation request go in mean I'm likely to get what I ask for, definatley self catering and preferably en-suite
Reply 394
Is it that big of a deal to have a washbasin/sink in your room? I'm debating on whether or not to apply for a room and pay the extra £3 a week for one, but at the same time I'm trying to cut costs as much as possible.
Original post by Crazy Cat Lady
I've had an unconditional offer for 2013, if I accept this does the earlier I my accommodation request go in mean I'm likely to get what I ask for, definatley self catering and preferably en-suite

Yes. It's first come, first served, based on application date, although they won't actually give you an accommodation offer until June / July.

Original post by Leafay
Is it that big of a deal to have a washbasin/sink in your room? I'm debating on whether or not to apply for a room and pay the extra £3 a week for one, but at the same time I'm trying to cut costs as much as possible.

I had one, and paid an extra £10pw for it. It was nice, but I'm not sure it was worth that much - essentially, it's just there so you can avoid walking an extra 3m or so to brush your teeth (or, in the case of the boys, go to the loo). However, unless £3 a week is going to blow a noticeable hole in your budget, then I'd say go for it.
Reply 396
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what to do. My 3 choices are: Hulme Hall for a standard with washbasin (not the oaklands and christie - dunno what that option means) £5111 40 week rent, Dalton ellis hall standard no washbasin £4983 40 week rent, or st. anselm hall - i don't know what to do about that one-- last year, an option called "lodge rooms 1 & 8" were listed at a considerably cheaper price, i really want to apply for those rooms, but they weren't listed on the 2012-2013 guide and I was told they were let to returning students this year, so i don't know if they will become available next year or what. (i hope so) i'm super stressed out because I want to know if i even have a shot at getting one of those rooms at the cheap price. its awful because i want catered accommodation, and that is more expensive and the US dollar is worthless, i have to pay approx. $1.60 for every £1. i just dunno what to do.
Original post by Leafay
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what to do. My 3 choices are: Hulme Hall for a standard with washbasin (not the oaklands and christie - dunno what that option means) £5111 40 week rent, Dalton ellis hall standard no washbasin £4983 40 week rent, or st. anselm hall - i don't know what to do about that one-- last year, an option called "lodge rooms 1 & 8" were listed at a considerably cheaper price, i really want to apply for those rooms, but they weren't listed on the 2012-2013 guide and I was told they were let to returning students this year, so i don't know if they will become available next year or what. (i hope so) i'm super stressed out because I want to know if i even have a shot at getting one of those rooms at the cheap price. its awful because i want catered accommodation, and that is more expensive and the US dollar is worthless, i have to pay approx. $1.60 for every £1. i just dunno what to do.

Unfortunately if they're not listed then they probably won't be available; they sometimes take entire halls out of service eg this year Allen Hall is out of action.

You might just have to sacrifice the catering if you can't afford it. I'm not a great fan of the whole catering (read the first page of this thread of you haven't already) and you can ear in the catered halls on a pay as you go basis if you so wish, if you don't live there (£5 for dinner, £4 for breakfast I believe) and there are other food options around campus, eg Source Cafe at Fallowfield, and Eats Restsurant in Uni Place, tge latter of which is a full canteen at lunchtime.

On 40 week contracts, you can definitely leave your stuff there over Xmas and Easter. I'm not sure about any other contracts though.

Reply 399
So if I put Sheavyn and Richmond as my 1st and 2nd choice is there still a massive probability I won't get either? Not sure if the ensuite is worth it though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending