The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Accommodation FAQ + Accommodation Choices Thread Mark III

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
I have absolutely no idea where to apply for accommodation. Ive stayed around city accommodation for a week at my mates and I wasnt that much of a fan personally. It could of just been my mates halls but no one seemed to talk to each other on some of the floors ._.

I like the look of some of the fallowfield accommodations, but I am not a fan of going out everyday or every other day. I want a compromise I guess between it being social and everyone knowing each other, great atmosphere and relaxing/ not too noisy.

I definitely dont want same sex accommodation and I guess I would prefer self catared en-suit. But from the video on the first page the shared bathroom didnt seem too bad.

any ideas or experiences to share to help me? I would appreciate it
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 781
Does anyone know if you can request to be in the same flat as one of your friends? Or even in the same building?
Original post by Polioz
I have absolutely no idea where to apply for accommodation. Ive stayed around city accommodation for a week at my mates and I wasnt that much of a fan personally. It could of just been my mates halls but no one seemed to talk to each other on some of the floors ._.

I like the look of some of the fallowfield accommodations, but I am not a fan of going out everyday or every other day. I want a compromise I guess between it being social and everyone knowing each other, great atmosphere and relaxing/ not too noisy.

I definitely dont want same sex accommodation and I guess I would prefer self catared en-suit. But from the video on the first page the shared bathroom didnt seem too bad.

any ideas or experiences to share to help me? I would appreciate it

Having ruled out City for somewhere more sociable, you could have a look at Victoria Park, which has a reputation for being a bit quieter than Fallowfield. However, I think the 'party' reputation of Fallowfield is often overplayed somewhat. After the first few weeks of term, everything dies down a bit as (a) people run out of money, and (b) the people for whom it is the first time away from home find that the novelty wears off somewhat. I certainly didn't go out every night (once a week / fortnight was closer to the truth towards the end of the year) and I never found that the noise was a problem.

I found that shared bathroom was absolutely fine - a cleaner came in two or three times a week and kept things pretty spick and span. There's a lot of competition for self catered en suite halls, so if you decide that that's what you want (and can afford!) then put something that's either catered or shared bathroom as you're third choice.

Original post by maleeha1
Does anyone know if you can request to be in the same flat as one of your friends? Or even in the same building?

You can request it, by emailing [email protected] but I don't know if your request will be granted.

However, personally I think that you are better off being close to your friend (e.g. both on Fallowfield campus) but not in the same flat. That way you are both close enough to see each other as often as you like, but you will also get to meet other people too.
I have just applied for accommodation at Ashburne Hall after falling in love with it on the open house day - just wondering if anyone has any opinions/ extra info on it?? Thanks! :smile:
What attracted you to it and what are you hoping to study?? :biggrin: xx
Reply 785
Original post by Origami Bullets

Thanks for the advice. So fallowfield dies down after first 2 weeks. hmm, this has made my choice even harder.
Reply 786
Where are the most sociable places to be?
Original post by Chris-69
Where are the most sociable places to be?

There isn't really anywhere that is less sociable, its just a word of mouth myth. I've had friends living in nearly every different hall from the City centre, to Vic Park and Fallowfield - and they have all had a good atmosphere. You'd find it difficult to find anyone 'unsociable' attending university.

The important things to take into account are cost, facilities and location for travelling to campus/town.
Is it true that the city campus is terrible? All of my choices are at city campus because I don't want to spend on travelling costs, and would rather walk, but is city campus at all any good? My choices are both the Grosvenors and I actually can't remember the other one but it's down the road from both the Grosvenors XD
Original post by ysgytlaeth
Is it true that the city campus is terrible? All of my choices are at city campus because I don't want to spend on travelling costs, and would rather walk, but is city campus at all any good? My choices are both the Grosvenors and I actually can't remember the other one but it's down the road from both the Grosvenors XD

I think 'terrible' might be going a bit far - I have friends who lived in Grosvenor in first year and enjoyed their time there, though they do refer to it as 'Little Beijing'. These things are only ever biases, and you can choose to bias your chances one way or the other.

Have you got a bike? Manchester is pancake flat and so it's a very quick commute into uni - quicker than getting the bus. If you're worried about how you would get a bike up to Manchester, then you can take them on the train (very few non-cyclists realise that there are special racks on trains which are free to use).
Original post by ysgytlaeth

I lived in city campus during first year (whitworth park) and had an absolute blast. I did the whole fresher thing of going out far too much and made some great lifelong friends there. Fallowfield isn't everything, there are thousands in halls and all the 'social' people can't just fit into one campus, they're everywhere! There's quite a few internationals, but they either join in or you just forget they're there. I've never understood the fuss with that.
Reply 791
I have to apply for housing and honestly can't decide. I'm an international student from the US but don't want to be stuck with the rest of the internationals. I've heard city is more international, victoria is more British, and followfield is a mix and more social. I'm mainly looking for self catered. If anyone has any recommendations I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
In Fallowfield, the best self-catered (in my opinion) are Sheavyn and Richmond.
Reply 793
Ok thanks! I'll look into those two!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 794
just sent off my application for accommodation. Picked Oak House-Sgl Room, Oak House-Sgl Basin and Whitworth Park-Sgl Room.

Oak House for the win!
Reply 795
Original post by Kingban
just sent off my application for accommodation. Picked Oak House-Sgl Room, Oak House-Sgl Basin and Whitworth Park-Sgl Room.

Oak House for the win!

Haha we applied exactly for the same halls, same rooms, in the same order ! :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 796
I am looking through the accomodatoin choices, I am going to be studying international managment, so most of my work will be based in MBS.

I am investigating the accomodation options, however I am a mature student (26) I don't fancy being stuck in a flat with youths that are drinking and staying up all night, do they allow mature students in PG halls, or do they have any accomodation for mature students?

Essentials are ensuite and parking (preferably free or nominal cost)

Thanks!
Reply 797
Doing International Management w/ American Bus. Studies, seriously can't wait to go now its ridiculous, put Oak house Sgl w/ Basin, first, second Oak House sgl, 3rd Sheawyn House ensuite, heard a lot of positives about Oak House
Reply 798
Does anyone know any reviews about Victoria Hall? I've been looking into it, but there's not much info out there. I don't want a quiet hall or a hall full of international students. If anyone has any insight into Victoria Hall I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 799
Original post by RBarnett
Does anyone know any reviews about Victoria Hall? I've been looking into it, but there's not much info out there. I don't want a quiet hall or a hall full of international students. If anyone has any insight into Victoria Hall I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tends to be a quiet hall. No lounge/common room so you have to knock or invite people to your room. You should consider the halls in Fallowfield campus, more sociable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending