The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medical School Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by pavthechav1
Anyone know if Cardiff still use the GCSE cut off for re-applicants? I applied last year to cardiff and got rejected straight away with 6A*'s 2A 1B... (23) But I worked hard for a levels and got 3 A*.... reckon there'll be a leniency in their unbelievably high GCSE requirement?

You should get some extra points for known A2 results. Not sure exactly how many but I'm sure you'll make the cut-off.
Original post by pavthechav1
Anyone know if Cardiff still use the GCSE cut off for re-applicants? I applied last year to cardiff and got rejected straight away with 6A*'s 2A 1B... (23) But I worked hard for a levels and got 3 A*.... reckon there'll be a leniency in their unbelievably high GCSE requirement?

They do use the cut off points for GCSE but will also give extra points (4) for having already achieved AAA + at A level so that gets added to your GCSE ...
you have amazing results at A level. Pretty impressive!
I m sure you ll storm through!
Original post by B_e_n_
Hey,
I have no idea how to put my info on the stalking page but i got an email from cardiff yesterday inviting me for an interview on the 14th of november!
And by academic score is that the GCSE thing? I got a 26 if it is that. Hope this helps :biggrin:

Did you get the invite by email or post? Congratulations though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aspiring_medic

Posted from TSR Mobile

S/He did mention that s/he got an e-mail :cool:
Reply 364

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got it by email, the subject was 'interview invite' so you know straight away whether you've got one or not, which i suppose is good! and thanks :smile:
Original post by B_e_n_
I got it by email, the subject was 'interview invite' so you know straight away whether you've got one or not, which i suppose is good! and thanks :smile:

Any notes about possibility of changing the iv date to a different one in case you cannot make it? Or is it the stasi type of email..this is the date, make it or ruin your life.

And congrats.
Original post by frogs r everywhere
S/He did mention that s/he got an e-mail :cool:

Oh yeah, I didn't even notice that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 367
Original post by hedgemonkey
Any notes about possibility of changing the iv date to a different one in case you cannot make it? Or is it the stasi type of email..this is the date, make it or ruin your life.

And congrats.

Cheers!
Haha, no its not that sort of email... they say if you cant make the iv date contact them urgently so they can reschedule it!
Guys, for any interviews I'll get (hopefully) I'll need to travel to the UK since I'm Int'l, and i'll need to arrange all interviews into a 1-2 weeks, so thati I don't have to travel more than once. Is cardiff considerate of that?

I wouldnt know when to travel until after I get all of my interviews/rejections sorted,
and this is stressing me out!
Are they very flexible in general with interview dates?

Original post by B_e_n_
Hey,
I have no idea how to put my info on the stalking page but i got an email from cardiff yesterday inviting me for an interview on the 14th of november!
And by academic score is that the GCSE thing? I got a 26 if it is that. Hope this helps :biggrin:

Congratulations! You interview date is so early though, kind of scary!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 369
Original post by yahyazhar
Guys, for any interviews I'll get (hopefully) I'll need to travel to the UK since I'm Int'l, and i'll need to arrange all interviews into a 1-2 weeks, so thati I don't have to travel more than once. Is cardiff considerate of that?

I wouldnt know when to travel until after I get all of my interviews/rejections sorted,

Haha... very scary! Can't believe i only got 7 days notice, but im not complaining! And id call their admissions board and ask them about your situation, they'll tell you what they can/can't do!

Hi I'm an international too!
I was under the impression that Cardiff does Skype/phone calls for us?
I know for dentistry they definitely do. One of my friend's interview for dentistry was via phone last year and she's in first year now

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by akansha_sinha
Hi I'm an international too!
I was under the impression that Cardiff does Skype/phone calls for us?
I know for dentistry they definitely do. One of my friend's interview for dentistry was via phone last year and she's in first year now

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

To be honest, I dont know which I am hoping it turns out to be; Skype/phone because they are cheaper, easier to organise, etc.
But I don't feel that I am going to be in the appropriate mindset for an interview unless i'm in a waiting room, hearing my name being called by someone, nervous as ever.
To be honest, I dont know which I am hoping it turns out to be; Skype/phone because they are cheaper, easier to organise, etc.
But I don't feel that I am going to be in the appropriate mindset for an interview unless i'm in a waiting room, hearing my name being called by someone, nervous as ever.

i know exactly what you mean. i think i would feel more confident in person for some reason than on the phone but then again blowing hundreds of dollars on travelling there and all just for a slight advantage which might just be psychological at the end of the day is unwise.
I already feel so guilty after looking at the international tuition fee and costs and all if i do get to study medicine in the UK. Im ripping off my parents big time i think they're even using some of their retirement savings on it :/

I really hope it all works out at the end
Reply 373
I was told this year at an open day that the cut-off is 24?
I still got the powerpoint they showed with it... So this means I could have applied to Cardiff with false hope that I have a chance from what they told me (numerous times) on a few open days/information days?
Devastated is an understatement. I know I wasn't guaranteed an interview anyway, but now it seems like I am most likely not to have one.
My score is 24 by the way. Argh... so disappointed...
Original post by Kaylax3
I still got the powerpoint they showed with it... So this means I could have applied to Cardiff with false hope that I have a chance from what they told me (numerous times) on a few open days/information days?
Devastated is an understatement. I know I wasn't guaranteed an interview anyway, but now it seems like I am most likely not to have one.

Hey, nobody knows what the score is this year, you just don't know whether you're out of not until they've actually told you.
Original post by akansha_sinha

I already feel so guilty after looking at the international tuition fee and costs and all if i do get to study medicine in the UK. Im ripping off my parents big time i think they're even using some of their retirement savings on it :/

I really hope it all works out at the end

i_hug_that_feel.png
Reply 376
Original post by Kaylax3

My score is 24 as well. I know what you mean, everyone on here is making me feel so worried as well but to be honest I just CANNOT believe they would disregard someone with 6A*s and 6As! It just seems so unfair, at the visit day i went to, the presentation only said you must have 4-5A*s at GCSE. I go to a state school with only a 56% 5+ A* -C including English and Maths rate and I was in the top 4 of all the 180 students in my year and my grades were totally off my own back, it just seems ridiculous that this achievement could be disregard.

Im not saying that I definitely deserve an interview, Im just saying that its unfair to be disregarded for getting 6 instead of 7/8 A*s
I got an interview on the 16th!! :biggrin: I really wish that they would give us more notice than a week though...
Peole are getting interviews :zomg: *checks inbox repeatedly*
I got an interview on the 16th!! :biggrin: I really wish that they would give us more notice than a week though...

Score ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending