The Student Room Group

Why can't Prince Harry just "resign" if he can't hack it

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by gladders
You're not paying for him to party. He doesn't get any state money unless he specifically carries out a duty on behalf of the monarch.

Boo hoo. Life is unfair.

Why is this something anyone other than Harry deserves?

I find it hilarious how republicans bleat on about how much they claim not to care one jot about the monarchy, but insist that people should care when it's news that suits their ends.

At the end of the day, he hasn't broken any laws and is simply guilty of having some fun in private.

Agree with everything you said there :smile:
Original post by Iso Herrk
Harry can do it too, but with his position comes responsibility.

Like Spiderman?! :beard:
I'm by no means a royalist, and normally side with republicans, but I don't see what he has done wrong here. He went on holdiay and had fun like most other guys his age do. Although I agree everyone has a right to privacy and no these pictures shouldn't get out, but they did and I think at the same time it would be wrong to tell the tabloids not to publish them. He is 3rd in line to the throne of 16 countries therefore if unfortunately these things do leak he can't expect it not to go public considering he's in the public eye. I just don't think the media should go out their way to invade his privacy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 83
These naked pictures aren't even newsworthy in my opinion. It doesn't matter who the hell he is , why doesn't everybody just leave him alone!! If I went and had a drunken game of naked billiards with a group of girls, nobody would bat an eyelid.... well maybe except for my parents :wink2:

He is a young man and as such he should be left to do what a young man does.... jerk about and have a little bit of fun.

oh and no I am not a royalist either.... Happy republican! :gthumb:
Harry is great, it's good to have someone to look upto whose more down to earth and leant really give

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Harry is great, it's good to have someone to look upto whose more down to earth and doesnt really give 2 s***s about what people think...

Reply 86
Original post by sheldorofazaroth
Harry is great, it's good to have someone to look upto whose more down to earth and doesnt really give 2 s***s about what people think...

This.
Reply 87
You're not paying for him to party. He doesn't get any state money unless he specifically carries out a duty on behalf of the monarch.

Actually, he may not get any money, nevertheless, his bodyguards that he requires 24/7 do (Even in a private party) - and their salary is funded by taxpayers.
Reply 88
I don't see what the big deal is about his latest transgression. Yes, he's in a privileged position where a certain level of formality is required, but he's still a young single guy in his 20s. The strip poker didn't take place in public - it only became public thanks to someone's cell phone camera and the Internet. I don't think he should be punished for what essentially amounted to an invasion of his privacy. Besides, while the story is amusing, it isn't damaging. At least I don't consider it to be. He's done nothing wrong; he was just having fun.
Reply 89
Original post by Catlady
I don't see what the big deal is about his latest transgression. Yes, he's in a privileged position where a certain level of formality is required, but he's still a young single guy in his 20s. The strip poker didn't take place in public - it only became public thanks to someone's cell phone camera and the Internet. I don't think he should be punished for what essentially amounted to an invasion of his privacy. Besides, while the story is amusing, it isn't damaging. At least I don't consider it to be. He's done nothing wrong; he was just having fun.

He's nothing exactly young, he's nearly 30.
Reply 90
Original post by Cryl
Actually, he may not get any money, nevertheless, his bodyguards that he requires 24/7 do (Even in a private party) - and their salary is funded by taxpayers.

So are you arguing that somebody who is bound to be a number one target for potential kidnappers or terrorists should go unprotected?
Reply 91
So are you arguing that somebody who is bound to be a number one target for potential kidnappers or terrorists should go unprotected?

No. The protection should be privately funded. Harry is not hugely importance to this country anyway, so I don't see how using taxpayers' money to protect him is beneficial to the state.
Original post by cl_steele
oh grow up, you lot are telling the royals to be more down to earth and when one of them is you give him a kicking for it... leave the kid alone hes having a bit of fun.
besides resign from what? hes never going to be king so what do you care?

kid? He's 27 years old, which in most people's view is a fully grown man. The fact that people think of him as a kid speaks volumes of his immaturity.
Reply 93

So, where does he get the money then? He's not practically working as far as I know.
Well he provides a service to the country by being a heli pilot in the RAF...

Reply 95
Original post by kka25
So, where does he get the money then? He's not practically working as far as I know.

His father's private Estate, the Duchy of Cornwall, which receives no public money.
Reply 96
Original post by Cryl
No. The protection should be privately funded. Harry is not hugely importance to this country anyway, so I don't see how using taxpayers' money to protect him is beneficial to the state.

Oh really? So all VIPs should pay for their own protection? Does this extend to members of the public who have been subject to clear, specific threatens to their person by organised crime?

What about the family of the Prime Minister?
Reply 97
Oh really? So all VIPs should pay for their own protection? Does this extend to members of the public who have been subject to clear, specific threatens to their person by organised crime?

What about the family of the Prime Minister?

Celebrities get threatened all the time, yet they pay for their own bodyguards as they earn money that can afford luxury which includes bodyguards therefore of course everyone should pay for their own protection as long as they earn over a certain amount. We should only fund those who need funding. Lack of protection for ordinary members of public who are threatened is not beneficial as it prevents witnesses coming forward and speaking the truth, etc. Same applies to the family of the PM - 1) Lack of protection for the family of the PM may decrease the number of adequate potential candidates who would want to be the Prime Minister. 2) PM's family is directly associated with someone of great importance to the country: the Prime Minister. Harry, on the other hand, is associated to the Queen who is not as important and is not beneficial to the state. Clear differences.

Are you honestly happy paying for some people who just wave, smile and party?
Reply 98
Original post by Cryl
Celebrities get threatened all the time, yet they pay for their own bodyguards as they earn money that can afford luxury which includes bodyguards therefore of course everyone should pay for their own protection as long as they earn over a certain amount.

So do the family members of the PM and other government members receive police protection or not?

We should only fund those who need funding.

As a man who frequently undertakes representative functions on behalf of the Queen and government, he falls under this category. He does a lot more than the PM's wife, too.

Lack of protection for ordinary members of public who are threatened is not beneficial as it prevents witnesses coming forward and speaking the truth, etc. Same applies to the family of the PM - 1) Lack of protection for the family of the PM may decrease the number of adequate potential candidates who would want to be the Prime Minister. 2) PM's family is directly associated with someone of great importance to the country: the Prime Minister. Harry, on the other hand, is associated to the Queen who is not as important and is not beneficial to the state. Clear differences.

So it's cold, calculated carrot-and-stick? Not at all associated with their right to life? I'm glad it's so cut and dry for you.

In America, the First Lady and the Vice President don't only get police protection, but they also get separate salaries and personal expenses accounts, and they do similar roles to Harry. Harry's doing this without a salary.

Are you honestly happy paying for some people who just wave, smile and party?

I am perfectly content to pay for people when they are performing duties for the country, and I am content to pay for someone - whoever they are - who needs protection because of who they are or who they are related to.
Original post by kka25
I think that's better.
Most of us just don't do that...

What get drunk at some party and end up playing strip poker/billiards or what ever was meant to be going on? Yeah not everyone, but you can hardly say that "normal" guys at a young age don't get drunk at parties and end up bringing a girl back to their room or end up playing strip poker for a laugh with a group of people. I'm not saying it's an everyday occurrence but you can't exactly say it's something unusual.

He's just a young guy having a bit of fun on holiday who didn't expect a photo to be taken in his room, I imagine a lot of his fellow soldiers would do the same, aren't the Royal Family always criticised for not being in touch with the rest of the population? Why are the Royal family expected to be some sort of beacon of morality? Because yeah the history of the Royal family in this nation has been totally moral...:rolleyes:

I mean hell even if he became King, so what if he was a bit of a party animal as a young bloke. King/Queen is basically a role of figurehead now, so their personal life really doesn't matter too much.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending