The Student Room Group

Deadly shootout near New York's Empire State Building

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sheldor
It actually is, because there is no reason for civilians to own a gun. Guns can do nothing but kill or maim. Knives can chop food and craft things.(Whittling, craft knives, etc.)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hunting? Pest Control? Target shooting? Self protection? There are some reasons right there for civilians to own firearms.
Original post by kog
I live in the middle of nowhere as well :P

Just my guy chatted to my references first. Turns out he regulary played bowls with one of my references :biggrin: Wish I could have had a temporary permit, saw a lovely Colt Buntline for sale before christmas, but it was nabbed before my licence came through :frown:

I think mine just rang up my doctor and my RSM (I was shooting for a few years with the cadets before I got my own rifle -I actually used to train the new recruits on the No.8s and the GPs so there was never much doubt about my capability or safety) I use a 7.62mm Anschutz for my target shooting. Used to have a shotgun but now I'm at uni there's no point so I sold it. Most of my mates have spares though so I can always borrow one if we have a day's shoot. Confess I had to google Colt Buntline (not really a pistol shooter, I have an air pistol but that's it) but that's a nice looking pistol! Do you shoot on ranges?
Reply 62
Original post by Lil Piranha
Owning a gun is legal in the UK... They are not illegal here. The only difference between us and the USA is we have marginally tighter national licensing laws as we don't have to legislate by state as well as national. There are states in the US where you can buy a gun without a permit, but if you take it out of that state you'd be committing a felony.

I really have no idea where people get this idea from that guns are illegal in the UK...

they're not illegal to buy but the point is whether it's legal to carry them. It is illegal to carry a firearm in a public place in the United Kingdom. In the USA it is not as this right is enshrined in the Second Amendment of the Constitution. Please make sure you know what you're talking about before you post
Reply 63
I think mine just rang up my doctor and my RSM (I was shooting for a few years with the cadets before I got my own rifle -I actually used to train the new recruits on the No.8s and the GPs so there was never much doubt about my capability or safety) I use a 7.62mm Anschutz for my target shooting. Used to have a shotgun but now I'm at uni there's no point so I sold it. Most of my mates have spares though so I can always borrow one if we have a day's shoot. Confess I had to google Colt Buntline (not really a pistol shooter, I have an air pistol but that's it) but that's a nice looking pistol! Do you shoot on ranges?

Yep, I was a member of a club for about a year before I applied, having wanting to give blackpowder pistols a go (having had a few goes on one at the club), I just love western/cowboy guns, yet to save up for a decent underlever. this is my current pride and joy though

http://i.pgcdn.com/pi/91/10/90/911090214_260.jpg

Admittedly mine isn't exactly `new`, rather marked a bit, the stock took a lot of browsing to get though! Nice one on the 7.62 , I was contemplating putting on my licence either 7.62 for a AK47 in straight pull mechanism, or .303 for a Lee Enfield, due to my budget, I opted to put .303 down on my licence, and picked up a semi auto AK47 replica in .22LR. I figured that a .22LR would do me fine for university, assuming that the universities club has a gun safe to bring my own firearm with me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Greenlaner
Hunting? Pest Control? Target shooting? Self protection? There are some reasons right there for civilians to own firearms.

I'm a bit confused as to pest control (shooting a rat? Why not gas it?) but with hunting, the hunting club should have guns for rent. Target shooting, same system. Self protection, tighter gun laws=less guns and less reason to protect yourself from them. A civilian carrying a gun can easily accidentally shoot themselves, shoot at and kill/maim an innocent when trying to stop an attacker, kill/maim an innocent when mistaking then for an attacker, etc. The average civilian doesn't have a perfect shot, and unless they are militarized, in a tough situation they will be an even worse shot or even quicker to pull out a gun in a misunderstanding.(See's someone climbing through the window in all black, shoots, was their daughters boyfriend sneaking in.)In the roughest parts of London, gang wars would become far more dangerous and deadly if the gangs could easily obtain firearms. Would you really be willing to risk lives for sport?

Original post by kog

http://i.pgcdn.com/pi/91/10/90/911090214_260.jpg

Admittedly mine isn't not exactly `new`, rather marked a bit, the stock took alot of borwsing to get though! Nice one on the 7.62 , I was contemplating putting on my licence either 7.62 for a AK47 in straight pull mechanism, or .303 for a Lee Enfield, due to my budget, I opted to put .303 down on my licence, and picked up a semi auto AK47 replica in .22LR. I figured that a .22LR would do me fine for university, assuming that the universities club has a gun safe to bring my own firearm with me.

Looks nice though :smile: what's it like to shoot? Got to admit I don't really get on with the lighter weapons - I'm rubbish with a .22 lol can't even get a decent grouping! The Anschtuz kicks like a donkey but it's definitely a more solid weight, I find them much easier to steady. The .22s just seem to go 'click' and that's it! They're incredibly sensitive too, at least the ones I've shot have been.

Most universities have good shooting facilities nowadays. Mine does (Southampton) but they're a bit too focussed on smallbore for me - I did join in my freshers year but I didn't honestly see the point in renewing my membership which was a shame. Almost every uni has a shooting team and a range - even if the uni doesn't have one you should be able to find a local range to store it? Which uni are you heading to?
Original post by Sheldor
I'm a bit confused as to pest control (shooting a rat? Why not gas it?) but with hunting, the hunting club should have guns for rent. Target shooting, same system. Self protection, tighter gun laws=less guns and less reason to protect yourself from them. A civilian carrying a gun can easily accidentally shoot themselves, shoot at and kill/maim an innocent when trying to stop an attacker, kill/maim an innocent when mistaking then for an attacker, etc. The average civilian doesn't have a perfect shot, and unless they are militarized, in a tough situation they will be an even worse shot or even quicker to pull out a gun in a misunderstanding.(See's someone climbing through the window in all black, shoots, was their daughters boyfriend sneaking in.)In the roughest parts of London, gang wars would become far more dangerous and deadly if the gangs could easily obtain firearms. Would you really be willing to risk lives for sport?

The gangs can already easily obtain (illegal) firearms. Why would they pay extra for a licence and open themselves up to scrutiny in interviews when they can buy off the black market? A ban will have sod all effect on the black market and those people that are truly dangerous with a gun.

Shooting rats is generally a waste of time. Rabbits, pigeons, foxes, other birds, badgers (with the appropriate council permits), deer (again with the appropriate council permits) - all pests that need controlling. Gas and poison is generally not environmentally friendly, and is also non-target specific, like traps.

Pests in the US are a different kettle of fish. Bears are BIG. As are mountain lions, alligators etc. It's recommended hikers carry some form of firearm, and those that live in the more remote areas I can guarantee you will have one or more guns in the house just in case.

Hunting clubs will always have guns for rent, true. But if you want to ensure the most accurate shot and cleanest kill the true marksman will stick to a rifle he or she knows. The same goes for competitive target shooting. I'm guessing the Olympian rifle shooters didn't loan the local clubs rifles out. They'll have used their own rifles.

I can't speak for the self-defence argument, as I personally don't believe in owning weapons for that purpose.
Reply 67
Looks nice though :smile: what's it like to shoot? Got to admit I don't really get on with the lighter weapons - I'm rubbish with a .22 lol can't even get a decent grouping! The Anschtuz kicks like a donkey but it's definitely a more solid weight, I find them much easier to steady. The .22s just seem to go 'click' and that's it! They're incredibly sensitive too, at least the ones I've shot have been.

Most universities have good shooting facilities nowadays. Mine does (Southampton) but they're a bit too focussed on smallbore for me - I did join in my freshers year but I didn't honestly see the point in renewing my membership which was a shame. Almost every uni has a shooting team and a range - even if the uni doesn't have one you should be able to find a local range to store it? Which uni are you heading to?

Reading, I know it's got a club, just not sure how they go about storing the guns. They also have a clay pigeon club, which i have to give a go, only touched shotguns, not fired em.

My pistol kicks a fair amount without the stock (i normaly lighten the load of blackpowder a bit), however with the stock, i was getting a faceful of powder residue every time i fired, resulting in powder burns all over my right side of my face/neck (im left handed shooter), so now i have to wear safety goggles/balaclava when i get the stock out...

I do like the feel of large calibre rifles, had a go on a marlin .44 with some magnum loads, loved the kick!But i can't afford the ammo atm, and to get ammo other than .22 it's a 50 minute drive :P

I'm also not fond of the `put put put` of a .22, which is why i wanted a semi auto, and one that looked like a military gun (basically something completely different to the rather boring bolt action CZs the club have), like the GSGs/Armscor stuff, after firing a load of shots on mine, you do get a lot of smoke out the barrel and reciever, which is oddly pleasing. Placed a laser sight under the barrel as well....essentially it's my toy for a bit of fun shooting.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 68
Even if the USA were to ban guns people already have them. Loads would be sold on the Black Market, and a massive rush to buy them would occur (something like this happened recently) if it was announced. They're in too deep!
Original post by kog
Reading, I know it's got a club, just not sure how they go about storing the guns. They also have a clay pigeon club, which i have to give a go, only touched shotguns, not fired em.

My pistol kicks a fair amount without the stock (i normaly lighten the load of blackpowder a bit), however with the stock, i was getting a faceful of powder residue every time i fired, resulting in powder burns all over my right side of my face/neck (im left handed shooter), so now i have to wear safety goggles/balaclava when i get the stock out...

I do like the feel of large calibre rifles, had a go on a marlin .44 with some magnum loads, loved the kick!But i can't afford the ammo atm, and to get ammo other than .22 it's a 50 minute drive :P

I'm also not fond of the `put put put` of a .22, which is why i wanted a semi auto, and one that looked like a military gun (basically something completely different to the rather boring bolt action CZs the club have), like the GSGs/Armscor stuff, after firing a load of shots on mine, you do get a lot of smoke out the barrel and reciever, which is oddly pleasing. Placed a laser sight under the barrel as well....essentially it's my toy for a bit of fun shooting.

Hmm some stockists will do a mail order, you could always look around if you can't get ammo close by.

You're in for a treat with the shotgun - if you don't fall over backwards first time then consider yourself a natural :wink: just make sure you brace!

I'm sure you could always email the union or the club at Reading to find out about their arrangements! Most uni clubs are pretty friendly and accommodating :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by Sheldor

Pest control such as rabbits and foxes, farmers worst nightmare!

And it really is no use using a club gun for hunting or target shooting, you need to have your own gun to get the `feel` of it, as it may shot differently depending on your dominant eye/what hand you shot with.

And from my experience, club guns with scopes, people play around with the scopes a lot, to suit them, making them shoot well off for me, being left handed and what not.

Self defence though, i agree with you, we shouldnt need guns for that reason at all!

First few paragraphs weren't abah at you, just trying to explain that us target shooters, and the hunters (considering they need a quick clean kill), need their own guns to have any hope at being great :P
Get rid of all firearms, go back to the sword and the shield :sparta:

Shooters would have to get good with the bow and arrow:tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Owning a gun is legal in the UK... They are not illegal here. The only difference between us and the USA is we have marginally tighter national licensing laws as we don't have to legislate by state as well as national. There are states in the US where you can buy a gun without a permit, but if you take it out of that state you'd be committing a felony.

I really have no idea where people get this idea from that guns are illegal in the UK...

It's far more than just marginally tighter.

Under Home Office guidelines, firearms licences are only issued if a person has legitimate sporting, collecting, or work-related reasons for ownership.

In the US, you can get a gun simply for the purposes of protecting or "arming" yourself. It really isn't difficult. As long as you don't have a felony it's as quick and easy as applying for a driving licence. Most states have a little background check to ensure you don't have such a conviction and a few will require a quick training course. In the UK, you have to have a very good reason for owning one.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by London_whale
when will the UK finally clamp down on knifes?:smile:

Knives have many uses, most of them that people have arent made for killing other people.

Guns on the other hand dont

(Im pro-gun btw, dont go crazy)

Ironically, due to his conviction for theft, he wouldn't have been issued a licence in the US.

No. If he was convicted of a felony theft then he would not have been issued a licence. Highly unlikely that what he did would be considered a felony though. It most likely would have been a misdemeanour, which would not stop him from legally being able to own a gun.
Original post by Whitechapel
When will the USA finally clamp down on guns? It is absolutely ridiculous nearly anybody can get one!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19372533

Just thought id point out here but not anyone can get one legally, there are back ground checks and some states have very stringest gun control laws, NY being one of the more conservative in its attitude unlike the deep south where they probably hand them out in happy meals :colonhash:
Original post by Muscovite
they're not illegal to buy but the point is whether it's legal to carry them. It is illegal to carry a firearm in a public place in the United Kingdom. In the USA it is not as this right is enshrined in the Second Amendment of the Constitution. Please make sure you know what you're talking about before you post

only half true, some states allow you to carry them around in public others do not though, the 2nd amendment merely gives people the right to own a firearm but since legislation varies at regional level some states are far more lax than others such as texas which issues concealed carry licenses to people willy nilly compared to some states which will not allow you to walk down main street with a ak47 slung over one shoulder...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending