The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Are there lockable compartments in the fridges on campus?

To prevent people from jacking your stuff? I'd hate for someone to take some of my milk without knowing, or even worse, drink it from the bottle haha. Or do you just have to put your name on each thing and pray nobody touches it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by K-Elyas
To prevent people from jacking your stuff? I'd hate for someone to take some of my milk without knowing, or even worse, drink it from the bottle haha. Or do you just have to put your name on each thing and pray nobody touches it?

Nope, they're just on the kitchen cupboards, which are numbered to correspond to your room so no-one 'accidentally' takes your stuff. :smile:
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
You just have to trust people :smile: though sadly people do steal food, it really depends on your flatmates.
Reply 3
Original post by abcdemilyxx
You just have to trust people :smile: though sadly people do steal food, it really depends on your flatmates.

Can you really put your trust in strangers? What do you think if I bought a box with a lock to put my stuff in, in the fridge?
Original post by K-Elyas
Can you really put your trust in strangers? What do you think if I bought a box with a lock to put my stuff in, in the fridge?

honestly.. id think you were being a bit of a dick...

your an adult, so are they - (despite how they may act at times) - just deal with it like grown ups, if someone steals your stuff. confront them (dont be passive agressive and leave notes, or bitch to others, this just leads to more tension), just go talk to them, deal with it head on.

honestly, food being stolen really isnt as much of a problem as its made out to be - ofcourse on sites like this, you have many many threads of people saying theyve had food nicked - but thats just a misrepresentation due to no one posting threads saying: 'yay! nothing got stolen!'.

the best thing to do, to avoid problems, have a good year, get on with your flatmates --- is just to go in with a really relaxed attitude. some people may drink your milk occasionally - but hoenstly, its not worth making a huge deal over, because there may be times when youl look in the fridge, be out of milk - and need some of theirs :wink:

but like i said, just go in with a mature attitude, and unless your quite unlucky, things will be fine - (in my flat in first year, no one had locks on anything, even the cupboards, and things were fine)
Reply 5
Original post by fallen_acorns
honestly.. id think you were being a bit of a dick...

your an adult, so are they - (despite how they may act at times) - just deal with it like grown ups, if someone steals your stuff. confront them (dont be passive agressive and leave notes, or bitch to others, this just leads to more tension), just go talk to them, deal with it head on.

honestly, food being stolen really isnt as much of a problem as its made out to be - ofcourse on sites like this, you have many many threads of people saying theyve had food nicked - but thats just a misrepresentation due to no one posting threads saying: 'yay! nothing got stolen!'.

the best thing to do, to avoid problems, have a good year, get on with your flatmates --- is just to go in with a really relaxed attitude. some people may drink your milk occasionally - but hoenstly, its not worth making a huge deal over, because there may be times when youl look in the fridge, be out of milk - and need some of theirs :wink:

but like i said, just go in with a mature attitude, and unless your quite unlucky, things will be fine - (in my flat in first year, no one had locks on anything, even the cupboards, and things were fine)

Aight, but isn't it impossible to know who did it to confront? If stuff does get stolen and it get's too much I'll probably getting a lock. Hopefully everyone will be cool though. Thanks.
Original post by K-Elyas
Aight, but isn't it impossible to know who did it to confront? If stuff does get stolen and it get's too much I'll probably getting a lock. Hopefully everyone will be cool though. Thanks.

youd be surprised - you get to know what people are like pretty quickly, and usually you can tell if one guy is stealling everyone elses food...

+ the only real problem is pratical considerations, there isnt usually alot of fridge space, so trying to fit some kind of metal box in, would probably be impossible - or it would severly limit your space...

I dont know - to be hoenst, there will be so much awesomeness that youl be experiancing, that a tiny bit of stolen food, is usually forgotten :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by K-Elyas

Probably not worth the hassle, to be honest. One of my first-year flatmates labelled every single thing on his fridge shelf, with his name, in marker pen.

Frankly, he seemed far more concerned about his food than any of the rest of us. :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by fallen_acorns
youd be surprised - you get to know what people are like pretty quickly, and usually you can tell if one guy is stealling everyone elses food...

+ the only real problem is pratical considerations, there isnt usually alot of fridge space, so trying to fit some kind of metal box in, would probably be impossible - or it would severly limit your space...

I dont know - to be hoenst, there will be so much awesomeness that youl be experiancing, that a tiny bit of stolen food, is usually forgotten :tongue:

Yea that's all true
Reply 9
Original post by helloiamrob
Probably not worth the hassle, to be honest. One of my first-year flatmates labelled every single thing on his fridge shelf, with his name, in marker pen.

Frankly, he seemed far more concerned about his food than any of the rest of us. :tongue:

lol, I wouldn't go that haha. I'll probably just use a disposable shopping to keep the stuff together and stuff
Original post by K-Elyas
lol, I wouldn't go that haha. I'll probably just use a disposable shopping to keep the stuff together and stuff

Don't start worrying before you've gotten there! :tongue: I never had any trouble with food being stolen, though one of my friends had a serious problem with it. If it becomes an issue which you can't resolve your residence mentors will most likely help you if you ask :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by abcdemilyxx
Don't start worrying before you've gotten there! :tongue: I never had any trouble with food being stolen, though one of my friends had a serious problem with it. If it becomes an issue which you can't resolve your residence mentors will most likely help you if you ask :smile:

lol I meant I wouldn't go that far (missed out the 'far' :tongue:) but nah I'm not worrying, this hasn't even crept into my mind since.
Reply 12
Original post by Ham22
You could do, although I think that may provoke someone, and you'll just end up getting the box itself stolen.

If your uni will allow it, I suggest buying a small fridge. You can get one person sized/type fridges for around £100. Don't buy the mini fridges that are actually just drinks chillers, they won't fridge your food properly.

Like I said on an earlier post I won't be doing it and nah they don't even allow mini fridges. Maybe cos of the energy consumption.
Reply 13
No,

but my friend lived at Brunel, the pantry door has a lock, and the fridges where inside..
lolno If you're sneaky you can get away with a mini fridge in your room though, just hide when there's wardens around.
Reply 15
Original post by helloiamrob

I definitely know people who would have touched his food if they had lived with him, just because of this reason. Their point of view is- if you don't trust me, why should I respect your stuff.

But really, just don't worry about food being nicked. It's not actually that big of a problem, and if you go out of your way to protect your food from others, people might not think well of you. I lived with a girl who hid her cutlery, and it was a bit like, "Why the hell does she think I want to steal her spoons?!". If food is being stolen, it's usually one person doing it to everyone else, and then it becomes pretty easy to find them.
Reply 16
Original post by syrettd
I definitely know people who would have touched his food if they had lived with him, just because of this reason. Their point of view is- if you don't trust me, why should I respect your stuff.

But really, just don't worry about food being nicked. It's not actually that big of a problem, and if you go out of your way to protect your food from others, people might not think well of you. I lived with a girl who hid her cutlery, and it was a bit like, "Why the hell does she think I want to steal her spoons?!". If food is being stolen, it's usually one person doing it to everyone else, and then it becomes pretty easy to find them.

yea you're right.
Reply 17
Original post by K-Elyas

How old are you? :rolleyes:

Pray nobody touches it: you can pray as much as you want. If someone wants to steal you they will do so regardless of your praying.

Put your name on each thing: that only tells law abiding flatmates what is yours. But if someone wants to steal you they will do so with or without your name on the food.

Drink it from the bottle: they might do it and you might notice you got less milk but you will never know if they put their mouth inside the bottle. On the other hand, on freshers you will probs share bottles of vodka with no glasses so man up.

Prevent stuff-jacking: you can reduce the probability of a theft but you can't completely prevent it. It might happen so deal with it.

Summary: man up and deal with whoever takes your stuff face to face.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Juichiro
How old are you? :rolleyes:

Pray nobody touches it: you can pray as much as you want. If someone wants to steal you they will do so regardless of your praying.

Put your name on each thing: that only tells law abiding flatmates what is yours. But if someone wants to steal you they will do so with or without your name on the food.

Drink it from the bottle: they might do it and you might notice you got less milk but you will never know if they put their mouth inside the bottle. On the other hand, on freshers you will probs share bottles of vodka with no glasses so man up.

Prevent stuff-jacking: you can reduce the probability of a theft but you can't completely prevent it. It might happen so deal with it.

Summary: man up and deal with whoever takes your stuff face to face.

Someone's in a bad mood
Original post by K-Elyas
Someone's in a bad mood

He might have sounded a little stern but I do agree. People are probably more likely to steal your stuff if you go to the lengths of putting your name on it. If you just don't make it an issue unless it becomes one then you'll be fine. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending