The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Chemistry 2012-2013

Hey guys, thought I would make this thread so we can all discuss the course and help each other out! Will also be helpful to spark people's ideas for their investigations as I know it's hard to decide what to investigate!

Hope were all enjoying the course so far :P? We're currently doing unit 1 and 3 at the same time while working on our projects at home! Busy time!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Reece:)
Hey guys, thought I would make this thread so we can all discuss the course and help each other out! Will also be helpful to spark people's ideas for their investigations as I know it's hard to decide what to investigate!

Hope were all enjoying the course so far :P? We're currently doing unit 1 and 3 at the same time while working on our projects at home! Busy time!

Perfect, Reece; I was waiting on something like this. I'm doing mine at college and have my first class on Monday. Very excited. What's your project and what are you wanting to do after school?
Reply 2
Original post by Bonzo10
Perfect, Reece; I was waiting on something like this. I'm doing mine at college and have my first class on Monday. Very excited. What's your project and what are you wanting to do after school?

Glad I could help :P well the course has been pretty good so far, even if I have only had 3 periods of it :P I have no idea what my project is gonna be! My teacher wants me to have decided by Wednesday and I don't see that happening! I have no motivation to look into different things I could do, but I guess I'll have to! Have you had any ideas yet :smile:? After school, hopefully maths :biggrin: wbu?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
Glad I could help :P well the course has been pretty good so far, even if I have only had 3 periods of it :P I have no idea what my project is gonna be! My teacher wants me to have decided by Wednesday and I don't see that happening! I have no motivation to look into different things I could do, but I guess I'll have to! Have you had any ideas yet :smile:? After school, hopefully maths :biggrin: wbu?

I haven't a clue tbh. Don't even have any ideas haha. What about you?

Well, my first choice is Dentistry but if that doesn't succeed I have been considering Maths, actually.
Reply 4
I can possibly help here. It depends how much of it I've lost!
Reply 5
Original post by Bonzo10
I haven't a clue tbh. Don't even have any ideas haha. What about you?

Well, my first choice is Dentistry but if that doesn't succeed I have been considering Maths, actually.

No clue either, my Sunday is gonna be a fun filled one this weekend!

Oooo, as much fun as dentistry would be, maths would be even more fun :biggrin:! You need to sit UKCAT exams for dentistry right? I've seen the book of practice questions, it's all about lateral thinking haha! I love that stuff, but they make it so hard!

Reply 6
We're splitting units 2 and 3 between 2 teachers just now, dabbing into unit 1 now and again! :smile: gonna race through 2 units before prelims, then focus on the investigation :smile: OMG in the class today was crapping myself because of the physics aspect of sub atomics :') all the quantum mechanics and stuff I find hard to grasp, studied it for an hour and a half tonight! It can be hard to get your head around a few of the concepts, but it's very interesting!

Reply 7
Original post by Belaruce
We're splitting units 2 and 3 between 2 teachers just now, dabbing into unit 1 now and again! :smile: gonna race through 2 units before prelims, then focus on the investigation :smile: OMG in the class today was crapping myself because of the physics aspect of sub atomics :') all the quantum mechanics and stuff I find hard to grasp, studied it for an hour and a half tonight! It can be hard to get your head around a few of the concepts, but it's very interesting!

Ahhh! I don't even know what unit 2 is since we're just focusing on 1 and 3 atm! I'm doing AH physics as well so I guess that's kind of helpful for me :biggrin:! But I know what you mean, physics concepts can be really confusing!

Ahhh! I don't even know what unit 2 is since we're just focusing on 1 and 3 atm! I'm doing AH physics as well so I guess that's kind of helpful for me :biggrin:! But I know what you mean, physics concepts can be really confusing!

I think the units split it down into Physical, Inorganic and Organic Chemistry (1,2,3)

Also I think Hype posted this thread last year, and it had some resources. Maybe it'd be a good idea to edit them into the first post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1737753&highlight=Chemistry+2011
Reply 9
Original post by TheFOMaster
I think the units split it down into Physical, Inorganic and Organic Chemistry (1,2,3)

Also I think Hype posted this thread last year, and it had some resources. Maybe it'd be a good idea to edit them into the first post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1737753&highlight=Chemistry+2011

Ooo that's helpful! I'll copy it all into the first post when i get on my computer :biggrin:!

The LTS Books and BrightRed Revision book are amazing for Chemistry. All the information you'll ever need in LTS, 'tis the textbook I taught myself from, and the BrightRed revision book is just awesome.

You can't really split the units into fields like that, though. 3 is Organic Chemistry, but both 1&2 are mixes of Physical and Inorganic.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
The LTS Books and BrightRed Revision book are amazing for Chemistry. All the information you'll ever need in LTS, 'tis the textbook I taught myself from, and the BrightRed revision book is just awesome.

You can't really split the units into fields like that, though. 3 is Organic Chemistry, but both 1&2 are mixes of Physical and Inorganic.

Oh, well I got one right :tongue: I've never heard of the LTS books before, and after a quick search I couldn't find them. Could you link me to it please?
Oh, well I got one right :tongue: I've never heard of the LTS books before, and after a quick search I couldn't find them. Could you link me to it please?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemistry-Unit-Advanced-Principles-Reactions/dp/1859558747

Unit 2 one. You should be able to use that to find the rest. :tongue:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemistry-Unit-Advanced-Principles-Reactions/dp/1859558747

Unit 2 one. You should be able to use that to find the rest. :tongue:

Thanks I found them :3
Reply 14
Chemistry was my favorite subject.. but now it's just so theoretical and boring, the only fun part is the PPAs! Any ideas for investigations yet? i've got to do one for physics, but i know what area i'm aiming for in physics, unlike chemistry i have no clue what to do!
Original post by Blue7195
Chemistry was my favorite subject.. but now it's just so theoretical and boring, the only fun part is the PPAs! Any ideas for investigations yet? i've got to do one for physics, but i know what area i'm aiming for in physics, unlike chemistry i have no clue what to do!

I'm loving Advanced Higher, It's soo much better than Higher.
Reply 16

I had the idea of doing factors which affect electroplating of a certain metal but I'm not sure if it's too basic or not :/? I think I'm sorted for physics also :smile:!

Did AH Chemistry last year, happy to help with questions or whatever. Feel free to quote me :smile:
Reply 18
I'm loving Advanced Higher, It's soo much better than Higher.

Right now my favorite is Advanced Highers Physics! I love the unveil of the lies they taught us the year before, like assuming mass was always constant! I'm sure it'll get better.

I had the idea of doing factors which affect electroplating of a certain metal but I'm not sure if it's too basic or not :/? I think I'm sorted for physics also :smile:!

I was hoping to do a physics type experiment, i find titrations and colorimetry too annoying and too easy to make mistakes on, hopefully i'll get a good idea soon!
Reply 19
Right now my favorite is Advanced Highers Physics! I love the unveil of the lies they taught us the year before, like assuming mass was always constant! I'm sure it'll get better.

I was hoping to do a physics type experiment, i find titrations and colorimetry too annoying and too easy to make mistakes on, hopefully i'll get a good idea soon!

One of my friends is doing one on paramagnetism I think, that could be related to physics I guess.. I'm just looking for an easy chemistry one so that I can have a better look at my physics one ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending