The Student Room Group

St Andrews Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DWRay
Thanks. I'm thinking I won't hear anything until the first batch of interviews are done. It looks like those with the higher UKCAT scores will be interviewed first. I'll hope for something to come out with the next batch.

Here's to hoping there definitely is more interviews!
Original post by ImagineThat95
Here's to hoping there definitely is more interviews!

There definitely will be more, it just depends if you're in the bunch or not...:biggrin:
Original post by Orinincandenza
There definitely will be more, it just depends if you're in the bunch or not...:biggrin:

Yep i suppose your right! My UKCAT score was about average though and st andrews like high ones so im not setting my hopes too high this year.
Reply 183
I will be at the interviews on the 7 and the 10 taking tours around the med school. Happy to answer any questions in advance!
Px

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 184
I was asked for some information about my college and uni qualifications and when I got back to them with only my uni transcripts (my college weren't helping with what admissions wanted to know) they said that it was okay. Now I'm ever so slightly paranoid that they mean 'don't worry about it because you'll be getting a rejection' :/
Original post by Zedd
I was asked for some information about my college and uni qualifications and when I got back to them with only my uni transcripts (my college weren't helping with what admissions wanted to know) they said that it was okay. Now I'm ever so slightly paranoid that they mean 'don't worry about it because you'll be getting a rejection' :/

I'm sure they don't mean that! They couldn't be that direct about it. They have to consider everyone

Reply 186
Original post by ImagineThat95
I'm sure they don't mean that! They couldn't be that direct about it. They have to consider everyone

Well, I mean it's not like I think that's them cutting my application short it is just that I know that they *might* not take what I have as meeting their minimum requirements but it's not very obvious. In any case, I'm not out of the game yet! :wink:
Original post by polldoll
I will be at the interviews on the 7 and the 10 taking tours around the med school. Happy to answer any questions in advance!
Px

Whats the typical timetable like for a Medical Student at StA? What in your opinion are the limitations of the course?
Reply 188
Original post by WenlockRhys
Whats the typical timetable like for a Medical Student at StA? What in your opinion are the limitations of the course?

The timetable changes week by week, but it is not too bad at all. First years have lots of 9am starts, but you generally get lots of self study time! We have lectures, a 2 hour dissection per week, clinical skills, communication workshops and lab work. There also is CBL several times per semester.
Oh and you get every Wednesday afternoon off for sport!

Limitations, well you get a really good academic basis, some of the pharmacology we learn is very out of date, but they do reason that drugs are continuously changing so even if we learned the current drugs, chances are that would of changed by the time we are working. So they focus on making sure we understand the categories and mechanism of action.
Lack of decent clinical contact is an obvious limitation. In first year they bring patients into the med school for you to practice history taking and communication with, which is actually relatively helpful. And in second year you get one day every 2 weeks in a GP, community hospital or similar. But tbh I havent really felt they were that useful. So it sometimes is difficult to remember that you are actually studying medicine and not a science degree. But in the long run this does pay off when you go to clinical uni, we have a good knowledge base and because we have spent lots of time on history taking etc then we are not too bad there either!

Anything else you want to know?? (I'm avoiding studying for the exams..)
Reply 189
Px

I was wondering, are there any opportunities to play football or golf in the university? Like teams and such? I wasn't able to make the open day so I didn't get the opportunity to ask questions like this :/
Just got am interview for January the 23rd!

Reply 191
Original post by essemmzee
I was wondering, are there any opportunities to play football or golf in the university? Like teams and such? I wasn't able to make the open day so I didn't get the opportunity to ask questions like this :/

Yes, plenty!! You get every Wednesday afternoon off for sports and there are university teams for loads of sports. There is also a medics football team.
If you are on the Manchester route and are involved in sports (in a high level or something) then it can assure you get your clinical years at MRI.

Oh and golf.. You are at St Andrews.. who doesn't play golf!!
Reply 192
Interview on the 23 jan!!!!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TattyBoJangles
I know!

& Dundee, Newcastle and Leicester.

St Andrews and Newcastle are vying for top in my affections. I fell in love with St Andrews but also loved the buzz of Newcastle. As I've exceeded Newcastle's UKCAT cut off I think I'm pretty much guaranteed an interview there.
It would be a dream come true to get an offer from both although I'd have a hard time deciding which to go for :P

:O what's the 2013 UKCAT cut off for Newcastle?
Reply 194
Wonder if any international applicant got interview invitation? I am still waiting.
Reply 195
Original post by dkean
Wonder if any international applicant got interview invitation? I am still waiting.

No interview for me yet. I'm from the US. Does any one know of bag pipe bands in the area? I've been drumming with a few where I am from for several years and want to continue if I get the chance to come over.
Original post by gregjrmunro
:O what's the 2013 UKCAT cut off for Newcastle?

I don't know, but there are people with UKCATs of 700 with interviews and mine is 715 so I know I've definitely made the cut (:
Interview for 3.15pm on the 23rd of January!

UKCAT: 687.5
Grades: AAAAB / AAA
Reply 198
Original post by victoria-x
Interview for 3.15pm on the 23rd of January!

UKCAT: 687.5
Grades: AAAAB / AAA

Hey, how did they contact you? Email or letter?

At least I know I made the cutoff :smile:

Congratulations btw!
Reply 199
Yes, plenty!! You get every Wednesday afternoon off for sports and there are university teams for loads of sports. There is also a medics football team.
If you are on the Manchester route and are involved in sports (in a high level or something) then it can assure you get your clinical years at MRI.

Oh and golf.. You are at St Andrews.. who doesn't play golf!!

Thanks loads! My interview is on Monday...so I'm stocking up on info :smile: What are the facilities like? I know about the medical building and it seems fantastic, but are there any other facilities that are used? Also how is the student life at At Andrews?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending