The Student Room Group

St Andrews Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by azyx1324
I think they mentioned that you meant to wait all the way until results day if you are conditional?

I know, but I'm Scottish and they said end of June for the unconditionals

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hi folks!

I received my unconditional offer from St Andrews a few days ago.. i'll see you all in September (yay)!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 702
Original post by MikeArbroath
Hi folks!

I received my unconditional offer from St Andrews a few days ago.. i'll see you all in September (yay)!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats!

Have you applied for accommodation?
Reply 703
Original post by Shengis14
I know, but I'm Scottish and they said end of June for the unconditionals

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Received an offer on the 20th.
Reply 704
A question for people who stayed at David Russell Apartments last year. Did you have to pay for the tv liscense fee? My budget is paper thin without having to fork out another £150.
Original post by lcddvd
A question for people who stayed at David Russell Apartments last year. Did you have to pay for the tv liscense fee? My budget is paper thin without having to fork out another £150.

Strictly speaking if you want to use the TVs in DRA you need a TV License. However I know of many people that used it without buying one for the whole year and nothing bad happened. We did get a fair few 'Pay your TV license' letters through the mail for people who clearly used to live in our DRA flat but no longer do, so maybe they do have a method of detecting (but I somehow doubt that they can pinpoint the exact room and that the letters were for renewals for people that did buy licenses but forgot to update address at end of the year).

I don't condone using the TV without a license but there are plenty of other ways of watching TV...

There are websites such as TVcatchup.com which, despite the name, broadcast live TV (not catchup) for free. Plus also you have all the catchup services like iPlayer. If you have Sky at your house you can get access to Sky Go. Oh and at the DRA bar in the facilities building there are two TVs with Sky and they always put on the big sports matches or if there are limited people in the bar you can ask them to put on something you want to watch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 706
Original post by Kingbradley6
Strictly speaking if you want to use the TVs in DRA you need a TV License. However I know of many people that used it without buying one for the whole year and nothing bad happened. We did get a fair few 'Pay your TV license' letters through the mail for people who clearly used to live in our DRA flat but no longer do, so maybe they do have a method of detecting (but I somehow doubt that they can pinpoint the exact room and that the letters were for renewals for people that did buy licenses but forgot to update address at end of the year).

I don't condone using the TV without a license but there are plenty of other ways of watching TV...

There are websites such as TVcatchup.com which, despite the name, broadcast live TV (not catchup) for free. Plus also you have all the catchup services like iPlayer. If you have Sky at your house you can get access to Sky Go. Oh and at the DRA bar in the facilities building there are two TVs with Sky and they always put on the big sports matches or if there are limited people in the bar you can ask them to put on something you want to watch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Students with televisions require a TV licence. The residence's licence covers the TVs in communal areas, but this won't cover a TV in your bedroom or kitchen. So, if you're planning to watch TV in these areas, make sure you're covered by a valid licence.
Residents of Fife Park Apartments, David Russell Apartments and Agnes Blackadder Hall, whose accommodation is supplied with a television must still provide their own licence. The TV licence for the residential communal areas does not cover individual bedrooms and/or flats."

It was the two paragraphs above (http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/accommodation/ug/current/residents/television/) which confused me. Unless I'm wrong it is saying, you must pay if you have a tv in your room, you dont have to pay separately for communal tv's, but this doesn't apply to DRA so you have to pay anyway?!?

Please correct me.

P/S I don't watch tv and plan to avoid it altogether at halls.

Thank you.
Reply 707
I'm not sure about DRA but all rooms in Agnes black adder have a tv anyway. I think what they are trying to say is that you must by a licence!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
All DRA bedrooms have a TV in but you don't need to buy a license unless you plan on watching it. Kitchens don't have a TV in but occasionally people buy one for the flat and put it in there, I guess they wouldn't be covered either and you would need to purchase a license. I think "communal areas" must just mean in the facilities building so the bar and Nisbit room (TV room/games consoles in there).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm leaving my telly at home as I've heard Albany's rooms are small and it most likely wouldn't fit. I will miss watching Breaking Bad in 42-inch high-definition, however :frown:

I'm addicted to Pointless though, so I'll just watch telly on my laptop. As long as it's not plugged into the charger / mains, you can stream live TV as it falls under your parents' TV licence. Anyone know if the internet's good enough to do this?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 710
Less than three weeks now. It's starting to feel real. Cue the jitters.
Reply 711
Anybody else still waiting to receive their accommodation information?
Original post by lcddvd
Less than three weeks now. It's starting to feel real. Cue the jitters.

Less than three weeks? How early are you going up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 713
Original post by Shengis14
Less than three weeks? How early are you going up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most probably either Thursday the 5th or a bit earlier, or Sunday the 8th. May have to stay at travelodge for a while. Friday/Saturday travel is not possible for me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lcddvd
Most probably either Thursday the 5th or a bit earlier, or Sunday the 8th. May have to stay at travelodge for a while. Friday/Saturday travel is not possible for me.

Well I suppose you'll be able to get a feel for the town before the rest of us arrive on Saturday

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending