The Student Room Group

Will i be able to apply to a Russell group uni with D E U U ??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hey, I just got into York (which recently became part of the Russel Group) and I applied with the AS grades ACDDU, so I think you have a chance!
Original post by thesaintx
The tissues line is fantastic. Just sayin'.

Don't be fooled, this is the kind of humour that 19 year olds spout in the vague hope of making a success of themselves, as they fail to do so in the real world.

Such a shame 'attitude' was not one of Mr/Mrs Batteries A* grades at A-level which of course defines all sense of successfulness and gives you some cloud of ignorance which makes you think everyone you talk to is below you and must be a 'teenager'.

ahhhh that old group of incompetent youths returns to the door of the student room. Don't join them.
Reply 62
Original post by inneedofhelpp
Im currently going into A2 and i pretty much failed my AS. I take Maths - D, Further Maths - E, Economics - U & Sociology - U.

Im planning on retaking both As and A2 in one year and my teachers support this as they believe i am capable of reaching AAB which is minimum requirement. I didnt do so well during this year or my final GCSE year due to the passing of my father. With support from everyone i now i can get my grades and im fine however it is the small matter of applying to a Russell group uni and actually being accepted.

How do i explain my circumstances to the Unis? Is it through UCAS or direct?

I have not clue what im doing and im in desperate need of help. Any feed back will help ..

The answer is: yes. You may certainly apply.
Original post by Jimmy Mullen
If I was the admissions tutor at a top university giving offers of say AAB for a course, firstly I would be thinking hang on, how did I get here? But on a serious note, Poor AS grades, and a sixth form tutor predicting high grades would not convince me. People who get AAB or above at A2 have better grades at AS.

It is simply not possible to recover from a grade U to get B or above, even a C would be extremely difficult so I would reject it. But there may be Unis that give you an offer.

I went from a U to an A in a few months.

Ever heard of a bad day?
Reply 64
I'd say go for it. I applied to a few Russell Group after getting B D at AS. I just asked my head of sixth form to predict high grades for me (ABC Distinction) and I got offers from all 5 of my choices - even though two of them were a lot lower than Russell Group. Play it safe and don't apply to all Russell Group and you'll be fine
Reply 65
Your performance is far too low to be considered by a russel group. That's two outright fails there. I hate to sound mean but if the passing of your father affected GCSE and AS performance who's to say it won't affect A2 and degree?

I'm sorry for your loss but think you're aiming too high. It's fair enough that you did lose your father but you've barely scraped two passes.
Reply 66
How would i mention in it my personal statement? Towards the end? Or..

well you would write a paragraph about your alevels, and why they are good for your chosen course, and what skills you have learned from them, then at the end of the paragraph you could say that you were dissapointed with your AS grades because of a close family bereavement, but you are now expecting to improve on those grades for the final A level grade.
Reply 67
Im currently going into A2 and i pretty much failed my AS. I take Maths - D, Further Maths - E, Economics - U & Sociology - U.

Im planning on retaking both As and A2 in one year and my teachers support this as they believe i am capable of reaching AAB which is minimum requirement. I didnt do so well during this year or my final GCSE year due to the passing of my father. With support from everyone i now i can get my grades and im fine however it is the small matter of applying to a Russell group uni and actually being accepted.

I have not clue what im doing and im in desperate need of help. Any feed back will help ..

Don't apply to university yet.

Resit the modules you fluffed next year, wait until you've got your A2s, and take a year out. Then apply- in full knowledge of where you stand.

It's the surest option out there, if you think that might be feasible.
Reply 68
If I was the admissions tutor at a top university giving offers of say AAB for a course, firstly I would be thinking hang on, how did I get here? But on a serious note, Poor AS grades, and a sixth form tutor predicting high grades would not convince me. People who get AAB or above at A2 have better grades at AS.

It is simply not possible to recover from a grade U to get B or above, even a C would be extremely difficult so I would reject it. But there may be Unis that give you an offer.

Tbf, I got a U in my unit two Government and Politics paper last summer and got a B when I resat it in January. I ended up with ABB at A2. Nothing's impossible if you work for it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 69

You don't have to declare your AS grades on your UCAS application anyway, so as long as your referee can vouch for bad GCSE grades and your predicted grades are good, there's no reason you shouldn't be offered a place.

However, if you're going to effectively sit your entire A level in a year, I might have a rethink about what subjects I was doing. A2 builds on AS so if you're not engaged in AS stuff, A2, whilst more interesting, will be even more challenging. I did Sociology (only subject I can related to I'm afraid) and I found it relatively easy because whichever subject you're covering, Marxists, Functionalistics, Feminists, interpretivists, etc, always think the same thing. Having a good conceptual base (such as remembering most Feminists, other than liberal, believe in patriarchy) will help you get a good grade. :smile:.

Apply to a variety of universities though. Nobody wants to go through clearing if they can help it. And be realistic.

Also, just out of interest, did none of your teachers put in a bereavement note before any of your exams?

Reply 70
Not likely I'm afraid but you have slim chances depending on how strict the admissions are at the university your applying to- in your case Russell Group universities. Universities in this group has extremely high standards when it comes to admissions and academics therefore, you do need to stand out. I applied at 2 Russell Group unis- Birmingham and Nottingham and 2 1994 Group unis- Essex and East Anglia and one unaffiliated university- Wolverhampton. I got rejected from both Russell Group because my grades in AS weren't good enough even if I achieved ABBE and even if the entry requirement they ask for Adult Nursing is BBB(Birmingham) and BBC(Nottingham). However, I was offered places from UEA and Essex and firmed Essex. Wolverhampton rejected me for some reason and Wolverhampton uni isn't exactly a 'decent' or 'good' uni. The decision was harsh, even one of the interviewers from the University of Southampton who works in my college said that it was a silly decision. I got ABB in A2 and was eligible for adjustment, whilst browsing for vacancies for Adult Nursing, I came across Leeds and King's College London (RG members) and saw that the student satisfaction rate based on teaching quality for Nursing was 77% and 74% respectively whereas UEA and Essex's student satisfaction rate is 92% and 88% respectively. I was going to apply at Southampton but it's too close to home and I want to live far away and explore my independence so I settled for Essex.

Russell Group universities are research intensive universities and known as the 'elite universities' of the UK where as 1994 Group universities are the 'smaller' research intensive universities that are next to the 'elites'.

In the end, employers won't look at the university you went to but the skills, qualities, experience and how suitable you are for the job you are applying to in the future. Because in the end, it is all up to the student if he/ she takes his/ her degree seriously with a strong commitment and dedication to it.

But what I can say is that going to a Russell Group and 1994 Group member university is worth the tuition fee you paid.
You could not be further from the truth, after all you were the one with all grade U's at AS level. which certainly is very cool :biggrin:

It was pretty cool actually.

If instead of getting UUUU I'd have gotten something like CCCC, I'd probably have ended up going to a fairly poor university and doing a subject I'm not particularly interested in, just to go to uni.

Not doing well first time round really gave me the time to evaluate my life.
You negginng everyone for their honest opinions?
Reply 73
What about failing two years straight makes you think that you 'now' you will get good grades this year? Focus on more realistic universities or better yet a job.
Reply 74

Hello
What were your gcse grades? if they are good and your get good AS and A level results then you will be fine
dont worry
still have faith and confidence in yourself :smile:
good luck!!!!!
Original post by ilickbatteries
It was pretty cool actually.

If instead of getting UUUU I'd have gotten something like CCCC, I'd probably have ended up going to a fairly poor university and doing a subject I'm not particularly interested in, just to go to uni.

Not doing well first time round really gave me the time to evaluate my life.

It is a fairly silly attitude to go to uni just for the sake of it. Completely the wrong mentality which ultimately leads to failure.
Original post by Emmy-J
Tbf, I got a U in my unit two Government and Politics paper last summer and got a B when I resat it in January. I ended up with ABB at A2. Nothing's impossible if you work for it.

Well I was refering to subjects like Maths, Physics, Chem Further Maths etc but my fault for not explicitly stating that.

Obviously for mickey mouse subjects like Sociology, Government, Religion etc it may well be possible due to the clear lack of difficulty and low regard from top universities, but I was hoping I was advising somebody who has not sunk to the depths of those useless subjects
I think you would be better off retaking you AS year and pushing those grades up.
Original post by Formerly Helpful_C
I went from a U to an A in a few months.

Ever heard of a bad day?

Was that in Maths or Further Maths?

As I have just explained to another member, It should easily be done in mickey mouse subjects like Sociology, Religion, etc but not easy in Physics, Maths, Chem. To go from a U to an A in those subjects without retaking years and god knows what is unheard of.

The OP has Maths, Further Maths, that is why I advise on it, and they are the ones he needs to get up to an A in less than 12 months.
well, you should be physically able, doesn't mean they will take to them too kindly.

Could you not retake, get your A2s, then apply, if you think you can get to a higher standard?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending