The Student Room Group

New medic: revision/learning advice plz?

Hi everyone, im starting medical school in 2 weeks! Anyone got advice for learning stuff and revision? Takes me a while to warm up...first ever report in IB: 36 points, final ib points 43 points: evidence right there.

Im doing a systems based course, starting with integrated health block + 3 systems (cardio/gastro/respiratory) first year.

I recently bought the REAL Gray's Anatomy.

What should i do to prepare? What should i read from gray's anatomy?

P.s.
The real gray's anatomy seems awfully awfully complex!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S7500
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by georgekwok

That would be because it is awfully awfully complex. You shouldn't have bought the real Gray's Anatomy - the fake one would be far more beneficial to you because the fake one is aimed at students and, therefore, in two weeks time, you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi everyone, im starting medical school in 2 weeks! Anyone got advice for learning stuff and revision? Takes me a while to warm up...first ever report in IB: 36 points, final ib points 43 points: evidence right there.

Im doing a systems based course, starting with integrated health block + 3 systems (cardio/gastro/respiratory) first year.

P.s.

you mean the 1000 page doorstop?
Reply 3
Original post by spacepirate-James
That would be because it is awfully awfully complex. You shouldn't have bought the real Gray's Anatomy - the fake one would be far more beneficial to you because the fake one is aimed at students and, therefore, in two weeks time, you.

Thanks! But i cant find the one for student anywhere :frown: is there anything i can read from the real one thats applicable to my first semester (integrqted health and disease block)?

Original post by Wangers
you mean the 1000 page doorstop?

Haha yes. Its huge.

Guys im gonna try pass first year and my bio aint very good, took phys chem math highers. Apart from reading up on IB bio any advice for first year? I wanna pass tests and exams first time round, dont want to supplementary test anything xD

P.s. Oh yea we're also problem based learning :/

Reply 4

P.s.

This is Grays Anatomy for Students:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grays-Anatomy-Students-Richard-Drake/dp/0443069522/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346759546&sr=8-1

Even this is very complex and goes into more detail that you'll probably ever need to know. However, the diagrams are really helpful to visualise and the excess of information makes some things easier to understand I find.

In terms of pre-reading, you mention your first year mainly focuses on cardio, respiratory and gastro, so it might be worth reading over the chapters focussing on those areas of anatomy just to familiarise yourself. Maybe along with a bit of neuro and musculoskeletal as well because you'll probably need to know the names of nerves, bones, muscles etc.

To be honest though, most people don't prepare for medschool. Take your IB notes with you to read through if you need them throughout the year, but you're best reading the recommended reading that the university will give you once you get there.
Reply 5
I would just relax for these last couple of weeks, you won't get that much time once you've started.
The most important thing imo, is, whatever your style of learning, that you work consistently, and make your notes etc as you go along. In first year I didn't do this so much, and it was really hectic and stressful before exams. Although I managed to pass first time, it was not a nice way to do things, so I changed my approach in second year, and I performed much better, and had far less stress.
Reply 6
I bought Gray's anatomy for students and reading the pages already make me sleepy! Will you be able to buy another book? If not, there's always the library

I started med school 1 month ago. The students who did not take bio do feel quite lost in the first weeks. I suggest going through a level bio (according to my IB friends, it seems like IB curriculum does not go into much detail as A levels). Try to find out the topics that you'll be studying for the first few weeks and learn a bit of it (E.g. for me it was DNA replication/transcription/translation, cytology, protein structure, enzymes)
Why would you want to do work before medical school? The point of medical school is to teach you this stuff, so being ahead is going to get you nowhere! Why you don't want to just enjoy the rest of the holidays is beyond me!
Reply 8
Original post by ManicJM
I would just relax for these last couple of weeks, you won't get that much time once you've started.
The most important thing imo, is, whatever your style of learning, that you work consistently, and make your notes etc as you go along. In first year I didn't do this so much, and it was really hectic and stressful before exams. Although I managed to pass first time, it was not a nice way to do things, so I changed my approach in second year, and I performed much better, and had far less stress.

I had a first year very much like you've described and very much intend to have a second year like yours aswell!
Reply 9
Another IB medic! :smile: Basically: casually read some simple cell biology, taking maybe a few hours, and do NOTHING ELSE!

I did the same highers as you (no biology), and study a preclinical course that was in first year basically purely memorizing academic content for the entire of anatomy and biochemistry. Little clinical work like some other courses, so more pre-preparable content than most courses I did little preparation and did it all on the course. Enjoy the last few weeks of your immediate life where you won't be depressed, overworked and stressed.
Original post by gozatron
I had a first year very much like you've described and very much intend to have a second year like yours aswell!

I tried that. Second year ended up being worse and for the entire month of May I sustained myself on Ritz crackers, Gatorade and fear while living in the library.
(edited 11 years ago)
This is all the basic biology you will need.
Reply 12
Original post by lbavfc
This is Grays Anatomy for Students:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grays-Anatomy-Students-Richard-Drake/dp/0443069522/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346759546&sr=8-1

Even this is very complex and goes into more detail that you'll probably ever need to know. However, the diagrams are really helpful to visualise and the excess of information makes some things easier to understand I find.

In terms of pre-reading, you mention your first year mainly focuses on cardio, respiratory and gastro, so it might be worth reading over the chapters focussing on those areas of anatomy just to familiarise yourself. Maybe along with a bit of neuro and musculoskeletal as well because you'll probably need to know the names of nerves, bones, muscles etc.

To be honest though, most people don't prepare for medschool. Take your IB notes with you to read through if you need them throughout the year, but you're best reading the recommended reading that the university will give you once you get there.

Although I'm probably gonna buy the book from a bookstore, thanks for the info! :smile:

Original post by ManicJM

Thanks! Do you know anything about PBL? I'm scared about not knowing what to say in class... sounds like a debate 2 times a week... and we're also assessed on our performance in these PBL tutorials :/

Original post by Ergo
I bought Gray's anatomy for students and reading the pages already make me sleepy! Will you be able to buy another book? If not, there's always the library

I started med school 1 month ago. The students who did not take bio do feel quite lost in the first weeks. I suggest going through a level bio (according to my IB friends, it seems like IB curriculum does not go into much detail as A levels). Try to find out the topics that you'll be studying for the first few weeks and learn a bit of it (E.g. for me it was DNA replication/transcription/translation, cytology, protein structure, enzymes)

Thanks! I've just went through almost the whole IB bio HL course and our uni also provided a biology enrichment course. Although I don't remember everything I do understand most things.

Original post by Hypocrism
Another IB medic! :smile: Basically: casually read some simple cell biology, taking maybe a few hours, and do NOTHING ELSE!

Haha yea I read some advice of our course from our seniors and they said the same thing xD thanks a lot!

I did the same highers as you (no biology), and study a preclinical course that was in first year basically purely memorizing academic content for the entire of anatomy and biochemistry. Little clinical work like some other courses, so more pre-preparable content than most courses I did little preparation and did it all on the course. Enjoy the last few weeks of your immediate life where you won't be depressed, overworked and stressed.

Haha I'll try to enjoy the last 7 days of freedom xD what's the name of your preclinical course and how's it progressing for you so far?

Original post by GeoffreyDouglas
This is all the basic biology you will need.

Thanks for the link! Much appreciated!

Does anyone have any opinions or experience about problem-based learning? I'm going to have those tutorials 2 times a week. I'm not that great on debating and such...
Reply 13
Haha I'll try to enjoy the last 7 days of freedom xD what's the name of your preclinical course and how's it progressing for you so far?

I'm on the preclinical course at Cambridge, which is why I emphasised its academic (research) focused more than clinically focused so other advice might be more relevant. But make sure you get to chill out a lot! Medical school will be tough but everyone agrees its a great experience.

My own course is good and enjoyable, looking forward to more stimulating subjects this year and especially not having to learn gross anatomy since we finished it :biggrin:
Original post by Fission_Mailed
I tried that. Second year ended up being worse and for the entire month of May I sustained myself on Ritz crackers, Gatorade and fear while living in the library.

I know that feel.

P.s.

hi george. what a coincidence haha. you defo won't need the real gray's! get a martini - physiology and anatomy and that will do for undergrad. unless you're a keen bean for surgery!
Reply 16
Original post by Catchetat
hi george. what a coincidence haha. you defo won't need the real gray's! get a martini - physiology and anatomy and that will do for undergrad. unless you're a keen bean for surgery!

Simon! What a surprise! how are you? I've missed you :biggrin:

i think vander's and gray's students version respectively are recommended in HKU. I'll have a look at your martini book tho! thanks! I thought u told me to get a drink haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending