The Student Room Group

Babies Dying After Contracting Herpes Orthodox Jewish Rabbis

Two children are dead, more are injured yet a group of ultra-Orthodox rabbis say they plan to defy a health order in the name of religious freedom.

Less than a year after a Brooklyn tot died following an ancient circumcision ritual, the rabbis say they will ignore a proposed law that would mandate parental-consent forms before performing the dangerous procedure.

Over the past decade, at least one other newborn died after contracting herpes from the rite, in which the rabbi draws blood from the penis with his mouth.
But ultra-Orthodox leaders are lashing out at the city’s “evil plans” ahead of the Board of Health’s vote next week.

About 200 rabbis signed a proclamation claiming the Health Department “printed and spread lies . . . in order to justify their evil decree.”
“It is clear to us, that there is not even an iota of blame or danger in this ancient and holy custom,” the letter states.
Most modern mohels men trained to perform religious circumcisions, who are usually rabbis or doctors remove blood from the baby’s wound using a sterile pipette.
But some Orthodox Jewish parents insist on an ancient “suction by mouth” ritual called metzitzah b’peh.
The city’s law would require mohels to distribute consent waivers, detailing the herpes risk, before the ritual.
Rabbi David Niederman, executive director of the United Jewish Organization of Williamsburg, said no one will comply with the law, even if it’s passed.
“For the government to force a rabbi who’s practicing a religious act to tell his congregants it’s dangerous is totally unacceptable,” Niederman told The Post.

“You’re forcing the mohel and the parent to sign a piece of paper that contradicts their religious convictions.”
Niederman said there’s no substantive evidence linking herpes and the religious ritual.
Michael Tobman, a political consultant working with several large Hasidic communities, said the waiver is no minimal imposition.
“It warns parents that the city suggests a link between the practice and serious health worries, [and] it would undoubtedly have a chilling impact,” he said.
“City government shouldn’t be doing that.”
At least 11 babies in the city have contracted the herpes simplex virus since 2000 and two developed brain damage and two died, according to a Health Department investigation.
In July, an Orange County infant was hospitalized after contracting a deadly strain of the virus.
Earlier this year, prosecutors were investigating the September 2011 death of a Brooklyn newborn at Maimonides Hospital from Type 1 herpes.

A Health Department spokeswoman declined to comment on the rabbis’ proclamation but said, “It is important that parents know the risks associated with the practice.”

Absolutely disgusting. Why aren't these bastards thrown in jail?

Scroll to see replies

Should be banned, but either way they'll still do it.
Reply 2
The law in question wouldn't even prohibit circumcision?
Reply 3
That is disgusting, even if it is a religious ritual, wouldn't they even look at what they are doing and think what they are doing to the children is completely wrong??!!
Reply 4
Very hard to justify complaining so much about letting parents be informed of the risks. There's no attempt to stop the practice only that people should know there is a risk.

Having said that, did OP really need to say "cock sucking rabbis"? Other than to grab attention and offend Jews. (FYI, I'm a Jew and I was offended by the implications)

EDIT: The moderators have since removed those words from the thread title, if you're wondering what I'm talking about.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by UniOfLife

Having said that, did OP really need to say "cock sucking rabbis"? Other than to grab attention and offend Jews. (FYI, I'm a Jew and I was offended by the implications)

If they were catholic priests, I would have still said cock sucking.

I think it's pretty disgusting how this ritual is still performed, probably done so to disguise their paedophillic intentions.
Reply 6
Ban it, ban childhood circumcision all together, they have no idea whats going on, and they have to live their life out with a permenant body modification (mutilation) that they had no choice over.

Atleast they are trying in Germany, I'm glad that Jews and Muslims feel "offended" because of this law, religious space muffins deserve all that is coming to them, anywhere, any time.

******s
Reply 7
Original post by cowsforsale
If they were catholic priests, I would have still said cock sucking.

I think it's pretty disgusting how this ritual is still performed, probably done so to disguise their paedophillic intentions.

So you're happy to offend lots of groups. That makes it all OK then :rolleyes:
Very hard to justify complaining so much about letting parents be informed of the risks. There's no attempt to stop the practice only that people should know there is a risk.

Who cares if the parents are warned of the risks. Ultimately, it is the child who bares the risk and suffers in the event that the parents consent on its behalf.

As for the title - I was taken aback at first... but it is an accurate title really: babies are dieing from herpes contracted from Rabbis who have sucked on their genitals....
Reply 9

Would you be happy if you found out say as a 14 year old that this man

Sucked blood from your penis?

I for one would beat my parents senseless for having me put through that...

So you're happy to offend lots of groups. That makes it all OK then :rolleyes:

That is the problem with religious nuts. They're just so ****ing sensitive and offended by anything and everything.

I'm offended that they do this to innocent babies. What now man?

I don't go around crying, calling others evil. I am for laws protecting the innocent. But of course this is "offending"...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by InnerTemple
As for the title - I was taken aback at first... but it is an accurate title really: babies are dieing from herpes contracted from Rabbis who have sucked on their genitals....

The OP could have responded to my comment on the title defending it as merely a true statement of facts. But he didn't. And you're going to have a hard time convincing me and probably anyone else that the intent was not to imply a sexual act. Given that the OP went on in his response to me to suggest that the Rabbis are all basically paedophiles, your task just got harder.
Original post by danny111
Would you be happy if you found out say as a 14 year old that this man

Sucked blood from your penis?

I for one would beat my parents senseless for having me put through that...

I think your reaction says far more about you and your relationship with your parents than it does about circumcision. Maybe you should speak to someone about that?

Given that I was a baby when I had my circumcision, I don't actually remember the details. I really doubt, though, that I would care now how a tiny bit of blood was sucked of my penis back then.

Tell me, do you suppose the thought of a circumcision is more traumatic for a person than the thought that they were forced out of their mother's vagina, covered in blood and potentially faeces (well meconium but same difference) as well? In most cases (in Judaism at least) the two events happen within a couple of weeks of each other.

EDIT:
That is the problem with religious nuts. They're just so ****ing sensitive and offended by anything and everything.

I'm offended that they do this to innocent babies. What now man?

I don't go around crying, calling others evil. I am for laws protecting the innocent. But of course this is "offending"...

Perhaps you should read the thread more closely. I'm not offended by the proposed law at all. I was offended by the rather blatant and unnecessary sexual implications made by the OP. Nor did I go around crying or calling anyone evil. But hey, why let reading and comprehension get in the way of a good ol' rant :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12

It's your problem that you're offended, not anyone else's.

We've got to get rid of this culture where we can't say anything in case it offends somebody. It is not your right to not be offended, and if you are, deal with it. It is not society's responsibility to cater to everyone's sensibilities.

Regarding the religious practice, yes it should be banned seeing as there is proof that it is dangerous.
Keep justifying a medically unnecessary form of mutilation. Makes you look like a tool.

Where in that post did I even attempt to justify it. I merely responded to your question and comment about how you would want to beat your parents senseless if, at 8 days old, they had let a bearded man suck a small bit of blood from your penis.

I can certainly understand that you would find the knowledge creepy and weird and disturbing. But you'd beat them senseless, yeah that doesn't make you seem unhinged at all :tongue:
Reply 14
Where in that post did I even attempt to justify it. I merely responded to your question and comment about how you would want to beat your parents senseless if, at 8 days old, they had let a bearded man suck a small bit of blood from your penis.

I can certainly understand that you would find the knowledge creepy and weird and disturbing. But you'd beat them senseless, yeah that doesn't make you seem unhinged at all :tongue:

No, it doesn't make me unhinged at all. It represents an appropriate form of outrage at such an abhorrent thing.

ps how many people do you think ever said "i will kill you" and actually did do it and those that did not do it...
Original post by NR09
It's your problem that you're offended, not anyone else's.

We've got to get rid of this culture where we can't say anything in case it offends somebody. It is not your right to not be offended, and if you are, deal with it. It is not society's responsibility to cater to everyone's sensibilities.

So I can be offended but I can't tell anyone I'm offended?

And I can't suggest that deliberately causing unnecessary offence is not a nice thing to do?

Tell me, then, would you support my right to gate-crash a burial by shouting obscenities and insults and false allegations about the deceased in front of his mourning family and friends? After all, its not society's responsibility to stop me offending people, right?
Reply 16

And I can't suggest that deliberately causing unnecessary offence is not a nice thing to do?

Tell me, then, would you support my right to gate-crash a burial by shouting obscenities and insults and false allegations about the deceased in front of his mourning family and friends? After all, its not society's responsibility to stop me offending people, right?

You are saying actively offending people is the same as people being offended because of their beliefs?
You are saying actively offending people is the same as people being offended because of their beliefs?

No, I'm saying that the OP was actively offending people with his title. He didn't need to include the wording he did. He chose to with intent to imply a sexual element that he knew would offend. This belief is strengthened by his later post in which he said:

"I think it's pretty disgusting how this ritual is still performed, probably done so to disguise their paedophillic intentions."
Reply 18

I'm saying that you have the right to be offended, you have the right to voice your offence but that doesn't mean that the OP has to retract what they have said.

I'm not talking about personal insults, or false allegations. I'm saying that when somebody criticises a group of people that you associate yourself with, it is your problem that you are offended.
(edited 11 years ago)
ive always known the dangers of the herpes virus and was paranoid about my son being near anyone who had it (i would freak out if someone with a cold sore went near him) people looked at me like i was mad, but to small children its fatal and can be passed on even through the skin (craddle cap or broken skin from scratching ect...)

cant believe anyone would take that chance with there babies health or life :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending