The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by punani
I read a book called "Think" once by "Somebody Blackburn". It was the most boring thing I've ever read. I kept reading it, hoping it would get better but it just didn't. It did however put me off philosophy for life.

Politics, I can see how that could be interesting but economics in my opinion is utter BS. I don't understand why it's as respected as it is to be honest.

I don't think too many universities offer PPE anyway, although I could be wrong on that.

What are you thinking of doing when you graduate. Prime Minister perhaps? :smile:

"Think" by Simon Blackburn is, I agree, rather over-hyped and dull but philosophy, at it's best, deals with the fundamental issues of life and so, to me at least, is fascinating.

Perhaps politics is more your thing then? I'm currently reading "An Introduction to Political Philosophy" by Jonathan Wolff and it's very enjoyable, providing an accessible starting point for the consideration of some interesting issues.

I'm sorry you feel that way about economics. Personally, my interest in it stems from the fact that I view it as a means to better understanding the world I live in (especially post-credit crunch). I think it's quite worrying that anyone would write off an important social science as "utter BS", but I'm sure you have your reasons.

In case you do change your mind regarding PPE, you are wrong about it being in scarce supply: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy,_Politics_and_Economics#United_Kingdom_and_Ireland

As for my plans post-uni, they're rather vague at the moment and of course depend on other factors besides what I want to do, but I've almost whittled it down to a choice betweeen further study, going in to the private sector in South America or sitting public examinations for employment at the Ministry of the Economy back in Spain.

From a more general point of view, PPE makes for good credentials in finance, journalism, academia or politics as well as giving you a solid base should you choose to try your luck as an entrepreneur.

At any rate, whatever you do choose, good luck :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Eldedu
"Think" by Simon Blackburn is, I agree, rather over-hyped and dull but philosophy, at it's best, deals with the fundamental issues of life and so, to me at least, is fascinating.

Perhaps politics is more your thing then? I'm currently reading "An Introduction to Political Philosophy" by Jonathan Wolff and it's very enjoyable, providing an accessible starting point for the consideration of some interesting issues.

I'm sorry you feel that way about economics. Personally, my interest in it stems from the fact that I view it as a means to better understanding the world I live in (especially post-credit crunch). I think it's quite worrying that anyone would write off an important social science as "utter BS", but I'm sure you have your reasons.

In case you do change your mind regarding PPE, you are wrong about it being in scarce supply: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy,_Politics_and_Economics#United_Kingdom_and_Ireland

As for my plans post-uni, they're rather vague at the moment and of course depend on other factors besides what I want to do, but I've almost whittled it down to a choice betweeen further study, going in to the private sector in South America or sitting public examinations for employment at the Ministry of the Economy back in Spain.

From a more general point of view, PPE makes for good credentials in finance, journalism, academia or politics as well as giving you a solid base should you choose to try your luck as an entrepreneur.

At any rate, whatever you do choose, good luck :smile:

Cheers

I'm not an expert in economics and can see how the main ideas can seem useful, but it doesn't seem a very practical science in that the models I've come across don't seem very rigorous once they get into reality. I've only done a basic macro and micro class but it didn't exactly impress me when the lecturer kept saying, "of course this doesn't work in the real world" after he just explained the latest of economics "big ideas".

Good luck to you as well.
Reply 22
Become an intellectual :cool:
Your username :rofl2:

um....teacher? All I know so far :mmm: but it's a good degree to have from what I've heard
Reply 24
Gordon brown did a history degree...
Reply 25
Original post by This Honest
Your username :rofl2:

um....teacher? All I know so far :mmm: but it's a good degree to have from what I've heard

With a username like that, I would make an excellent teacher. I think teaching wouldn't keep my interest for very long. Teaching the same stuff year in year out has got to get pretty boring after a while? I don't think I have the patience for it either.
Reply 26
Original post by iSoftie
Become an intellectual :cool:

What do you mean become? :smile:
Original post by punani
With a username like that, I would make an excellent teacher. I think teaching wouldn't keep my interest for very long. Teaching the same stuff year in year out has got to get pretty boring after a while? I don't think I have the patience for it either.

Alright then Mr Punani :giggle:
Reply 28
Original post by jam277
Gordon brown did a history degree...

Yeah, he did a phd I think as well.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
George Osborne did history and is now Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Entirely down to his academic record I'm sure!
Reply 30
Go with engineering and keep any humanities subject as an interest.

Sincerely,

-Philosophy student.
Original post by punani

I absolutely hated it and dropped out in 3rd year, this was 11 years ago. Anyway I've done alright since then, have a good job, house, car etc, etc but always had that nagging feeling that I wanted to finish what I started at Uni.

Out of interest when you dropped out of uni what did you do then?
Reply 32
Original post by Toomanyoptions
Out of interest when you dropped out of uni what did you do then?

I had saved up some of my student loan from the last few years at uni and then used that to go travelling for about 18 months. When the money ran out I started working in kitchens to pay some bills. Found out I really enjoyed cooking and was good at it so decided to become a chef.

Worked my way up in mainly Michelin/Rosette kitchens to head chef and strangely enough was on a better salary than most of the people I went to uni with, but the last year or two it has become a bit of a grind.

I think I'm someone who always likes to be learning something new and after a while in any industry your learning curve hits a plateaux. I think I just need a new challenge as cliched as that sounds.
Journalism, law, civil service/ government, teaching, among other things.
Because nobody has actually come in to talk truthfully and openly about what exactly history as a degree does for you I'm going to step up to the plate.

There's often a massive misconception that if you do history you are becoming a teacher or a historian or going to work in a museum.

History itself is fascinating to learn and you obviously know all of this because you say you love it. But a history degree is quite different from say an engineering degree in the respects of what it provides you.

An engineering degree (not that I know much, if anything, just saying) probably provides you with set knowledge that you can apply to everyday jobs because it's engineering.

History is different in this respect, knowing about history can sometimes be useful, sometimes interesting to tell others but in the job world not that important unless you are doing a history orientated job. Sounds like I've just slammed history, but there's a reason why I am doing it.

It's the skills you gain not the knowledge you inherit when it comes to employability for history.
History, when studied at a good level requires candidates to possess skills that range from impressive analytical skills to clear, open and expressive oral and written skills. In addition to this you find that they excel in research and have an impressive ability to read between the lines of texts, interpret and judge accountability of sources. (This is why so many law firms look for history graduates, because they gain such important skills which are invaluable for a career in law).

There are many more, but I'm sure if I go on about them all you will just get bored and I'm sure you get the idea. Gordon Brown, George Osborne are two prime examples of those with history degrees who also left what you would consider the obvious route. I know it's anecdotal but I know of somebody else who completed a history degree and is doing well at a financial firm.

History literally opens you up to a whole variety of things, yes including businesses and management and accounting, whilst less so, it's a perfectly viable open door. However consider law, politics, professional research/ analysation, library work, sales roles, company Human Resources/ team leaders/ team members/ representatives and much, much more which I will happily discuss should you PM me.

Doing history demonstrates skills that can impress employers in a tough and rigorous 'traditional' subject. Those who assume the only jobs available are teaching.

Maybe history isn't for you, but I hope that helps. Got kind of sick of all the bad information posted on this thread.
Go and do history. If it's something you enjoy i think you'll get more out of it...

You can look at archaeology afterwards maybe?
Something to do with museums?

Gordon Brown was a history graduate.... so become prime minister?
Reply 36
Original post by Agenda Suicide
Because nobody has actually come in to talk truthfully and openly about what exactly history as a degree does for you I'm going to step up to the plate.

There's often a massive misconception that if you do history you are becoming a teacher or a historian or going to work in a museum.

History itself is fascinating to learn and you obviously know all of this because you say you love it. But a history degree is quite different from say an engineering degree in the respects of what it provides you.

An engineering degree (not that I know much, if anything, just saying) probably provides you with set knowledge that you can apply to everyday jobs because it's engineering.

History is different in this respect, knowing about history can sometimes be useful, sometimes interesting to tell others but in the job world not that important unless you are doing a history orientated job. Sounds like I've just slammed history, but there's a reason why I am doing it.

It's the skills you gain not the knowledge you inherit when it comes to employability for history.
History, when studied at a good level requires candidates to possess skills that range from impressive analytical skills to clear, open and expressive oral and written skills. In addition to this you find that they excel in research and have an impressive ability to read between the lines of texts, interpret and judge accountability of sources. (This is why so many law firms look for history graduates, because they gain such important skills which are invaluable for a career in law).

There are many more, but I'm sure if I go on about them all you will just get bored and I'm sure you get the idea. Gordon Brown, George Osborne are two prime examples of those with history degrees who also left what you would consider the obvious route. I know it's anecdotal but I know of somebody else who completed a history degree and is doing well at a financial firm.

History literally opens you up to a whole variety of things, yes including businesses and management and accounting, whilst less so, it's a perfectly viable open door. However consider law, politics, professional research/ analysation, library work, sales roles, company Human Resources/ team leaders/ team members/ representatives and much, much more which I will happily discuss should you PM me.

Doing history demonstrates skills that can impress employers in a tough and rigorous 'traditional' subject. Those who assume the only jobs available are teaching.

Maybe history isn't for you, but I hope that helps. Got kind of sick of all the bad information posted on this thread.

Original post by originaltitle
Write books. Get quoted.

Original post by RachelSophia
Go and do history. If it's something you enjoy i think you'll get more out of it...

You can look at archaeology afterwards maybe?
Something to do with museums?

Gordon Brown was a history graduate.... so become prime minister?

Thanks for the replies guys.

I understand that you can do lots with a history degree, but will those same doors be open when you're 35 when you graduate? I don't really want to use a history degree to get on some management or civil service grad scheme, that just doesn't really interest me and I certainly won't be going back into law any time soon, once was enough!

I do like the romantic idea of studying a subject I love, but the thought of doing my degree, then phd just to get some crappy salary for some research/museum job doesn't appeal. I did like the idea of becoming an archivist or curator but, I'd need a phd for the latter and an archives msc for the former which costs over £5000 with no loan available for the fees.

If I was 18 history would win hands down, but I'm not.
Reply 37
I'm going to give you the same advice I give to the 6th formers i give careers advice to.. Just do a subject you enjoy, the rest will come. This isn't a 'romantic ideal' its logical. The opportunities that open up to you when you study and are truly passionate and dedicated are amazing. The fact you are older and dare I say, wiser, will help not hinder as you will understand the value of these chances.
Age doesnt matter. I have a 33 year old friend who graduated in History last year, with a 2:1 from a lower-end uni. He now works at a museum for Francis.Drake and archiving at at the British library who are sending him on a research project to America for 6 months.
While I am only 23 myself I have a daughter, so can't exactly take any risks at not being able to provide for her. I've never felt like this was a risk for me. I struggled to commit to teaching as I had so many options. I nearly started a business with a friend, i was offered a job with student support at uni and i wanted to do a masters.
I think, maybe, you need to take a punt on yourself. Because you'll never know where a history degree can take you until you try.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MT15i
Reply 38
Original post by nati_jade
I'm going to give you the same advice I give to the 6th formers i give careers advice to.. Just do a subject you enjoy, the rest will come. This isn't a 'romantic ideal' its logical. The opportunities that open up to you when you study and are truly passionate and dedicated are amazing. The fact you are older and dare I say, wiser, will help not hinder as you will understand the value of these chances.
Age doesnt matter. I have a 33 year old friend who graduated in History last year, with a 2:1 from a lower-end uni. He now works at a museum for Francis.Drake and archiving at at the British library who are sending him on a research project to America for 6 months.
While I am only 23 myself I have a daughter, so can't exactly take any risks at not being able to provide for her. I've never felt like this was a risk for me. I struggled to commit to teaching as I had so many options. I nearly started a business with a friend, i was offered a job with student support at uni and i wanted to do a masters.
I think, maybe, you need to take a punt on yourself. Because you'll never know where a history degree can take you until you try.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MT15i

Hi, thanks for the reply.

What made you decide to go into primary teaching rather than become a secondary history teacher, if you don't mind my asking?

I understand why a lot of people would advice me to go down the history route and from re-reading some of my posts on this thread it does sound like I'd only be doing engineering for a few extra grand a year or whatever and that's not really the case.

By the time I'd graduate from whatever I chose to study, due to lost earnings/missed opportuinities/loans/tuition fees etc it would take me a hell of a long time and an amazing salary to be able to make up for that, so if it was just about the money I'd be better off staying in my current or should I say previous job.

It's more about what will make me happy long term and not just my years of study. Sure History will be a more enjoyable and comfortable degree and will lead to a more enjoyable and comfortable job. But do you know what, the last week or so I've done more soul searching than the last 30 years of my life and the truth is, I don't think enjoyable and comfortable really do it for me.

I would love to be an archivist or a curator or something, but after a year or two it will bore the s*** out of me. I know it will. And then what?

An engineering degree will be hard, it will be challenging, there will be times when I'll think why the f*** didn't I do history? I love history! It's my passion! But deep down I'll know why.

Because I'll be a better engineer than historian, I'll get a lot more satisfaction from knowing I've achieved a difficult degree, from doing a difficult job, from coming into work every day and thinking "How the f*** am I going to do that" and then getting it done, from actually being able to make something, to create something, to take pride in something, to look back when I'm an even older c*** and say "yeah, I did that", maybe make a little history instead of writing it one day............................ who knows?

Can I do that pottering about in a museum or library all day? Probably not. Do I look at myself and see a person that potters about a museum or a library all day? No. Why?

Because I'm a F****** ENGINEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the replies, it's really made me think it all through and reach a decision. Now comes the hard bit and backing it up.
(edited 11 years ago)
All my History friends ended up in Finance anyway. Most hated the work loads (though if you stick to Victorians and **** it will cut down having to learn foreign languages etc) and are sort of meh about it. Just another anecdote to add to the pile.

Latest

Trending

Trending