The Student Room Group

Bccccc (gcse) ->> oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Patronum
Hmm, would it be possible to apply for both PPE and PPS considering the personal statement is constructed in a way that will be suitable for both or do they both need certain depths you must talk about individually?

Because PPS and PPE are both quite open subjects you could theoretically mix and match (ie 3 universities PPE and 2 PPS) so as long as you cover a short paragraph on all of the subjects you should be ok.
Reply 121
Original post by hollie-elizabeth

It does make a difference, but not enough to give an advantage to anyone, it simply means that they will be assessed on other things at their chosen college (if that college chooses to, obviously as on this basis it would be entirely up to the college whether or not they decide that the applicant is worth really looking at). I know one person who managed to get through to interview with Cambridge because of a comment on his personal statement

By that logic, every candidate whose GCSEs were not outstanding for their school should have their reference include such a disclaimer to their 'not being aware of the importance of the examinations'.

As such, it should by rights be ignored.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I'm almost certain the bolded bit is false. Oxford can still use your BMAT scores after the interview for selection.

Probably if I'm totally honest. But short-listed applicants won't be too dissimilar would they?
Reply 123
To end the ambiguous bickering about whether they are used and do they bear any relevance. They do I have spoken to the admissions staff for PPE and they said GCSE's are used as a differentiation method, implying its better to have good ones than bad ones BCCCCC for oxford is a weak GCSE profile. This however should not discourage you from applying. You have 4 other choices if it does not come off. Furthermore you hear stories of people at Oxford with weak GCSE's hence why these threads are created, so people can ascertain a second opinion and reassure themselves. But the only way to prove or disprove these stories of low GCSE profiles is to apply and see what happens.
I really don't understand, they judge you on GCSE grades and not A levels? what if you achieve AAAA at AS and A*A*A*A at A2? Will they still look at your GCSE grades? why don't they just judge you completely on GCSE grades and cut the crap? makes it easier tbh :s-smilie: and I got BCCCCC at GCSE (not my ability, just my ethic)

Hey there!

Is this a question as to whether you are going to apply personally or just a general question?

The first thing that comes to mind is that Oxford have so many applicants, that they can afford to just ignore people with GCSEs vastly below the standard Oxford GCSE average. That said, the Oxbridge admissions system is unlike those of any universities in the country, they look at you as a person as well as your potential and talent. However, I must stress academic achievement is paramount (which is why, despite the stick people give it, I respect its method of accepting pupils, its fairer than anywhere else).
If somebody were to apply to Oxford with those grades at GCSE, I'd recommend personally they did so post a-level after they got the 'A*A*A*A' you speak of, so Oxford could seem them as a complete candidate, rather than waiting to see if their work ethic lapsed again during A2. If they achieved such excellent grades at A2 with two years consistent hard work to reach the A*s, then I should think it should make up to an extent for their GCSEs. Again, that said, it really depends on what course they were applying to. For Medicine it just wouldn't cut it I'm afraid from what I've seen.
If this question is regarding yourself - good luck! Its nice to see somebody wanting to turn their life around and achieve their potential! x
Reply 125
Original post by Muscovite
Honestly; you aren't Oxbridge material at all. Firstly; Oxonians have an unparalleled work ethic - which you clearly do not possess. Secondly, people that are intelligent enough for elite universities generally do not need a good work ethic at GCSE as to anyone with more than one brain cell they are rather easy to pass without any revision.

Not all people are intelligent enough to fly through GCSE's with A*'s and no revision, me being one of them. Surely those who aren't, but proceed to work hard during their A Level career and get similar AS/A2 grades to those who did do well at GCSE should not be discriminated against? If you're capable of achieving the grades at A Level that are required by Oxford then go for it!
Reply 126
What you have to do is apply after you got your grades. No admissions tutor is going to believe someon can go from BCCCCCC to A*A*A* just because their teacher said so. If you do get A*A*A* then you actually stand a good chance because universities actually value improvement over consistency, they just go for consistency in applicants because people apply with predicted grades so the only real proof they have of a student's ability is consistent past performance.
Reply 127
I have an interview for Economics at Cambridge and my GCSEs are BBCCCCC. Although I had circumstances involving my schooling.
Obviously they would look past your GCSE's if you had A*A*A* at A level, but the problem is all they will have is your GCSE's, AS results and predicted grades, and predicted A*A*A* would look very unrealistic with Bccccccc at GCSE...

You could apply, and if you don't get an offer, then reapply next year when you have your A levels... but you seriously have to ask yourself if this is achievable, A*A*A* seems unlikely with such low GCSEs. And they are low, even for no work, make sure you are not deluding yourself before you go wasting an application on oxford...
Original post by Plebbles
Not all people are intelligent enough to fly through GCSE's with A*'s and no revision, me being one of them. Surely those who aren't, but proceed to work hard during their A Level career and get similar AS/A2 grades to those who did do well at GCSE should not be discriminated against? If you're capable of achieving the grades at A Level that are required by Oxford then go for it!

But degree level is a massive step up from A-Level.

The fact of the matter is 99% of people at oxbridge could A* in all their subjects with no work.
Reply 130
Original post by Sabster
But degree level is a massive step up from A-Level.

The fact of the matter is 99% of people at oxbridge could A* in all their subjects with no work.

Yes it is, but if you're capable of achieving the grades at A Level then you're in just as good a position as those with better GCSEs. Some people develop later on in their academic capabilities. But there are some who couldn't when they sat their GCSEs?
I really don't understand, they judge you on GCSE grades and not A levels? what if you achieve AAAA at AS and A*A*A*A at A2? Will they still look at your GCSE grades? why don't they just judge you completely on GCSE grades and cut the crap? makes it easier tbh :s-smilie: and I got BCCCCC at GCSE (not my ability, just my ethic)

Did you apply in the end? I just wanted to say that I got an offer from LSE to do Economics and supposedly LSE put a lot of emphasis on GCSE results but I only got 4A 3B 3C which I know is still above average but I also received an offer to read maths a Imperial and yet in the entry requirements for maths it stated that you should have at least 5 A/A*s.
Reply 132
If you achieved B's and C's at GCSE in your chosen subject, and achieved A*s in the core subjects (Maths, Science and English) would Oxford still consider you?
Reply 133
Original post by Krooka
If you achieved B's and C's at GCSE in your chosen subject, and achieved A*s in the core subjects (Maths, Science and English) would Oxford still consider you?

I'd imagine that if someone got a B and a C at GCSE in the subject they want to read at university, there would be good reasons for that, so yes, on the grounds of extenuating circumstances.

Otherwise no.
Original post by Mellete
I'd imagine that if someone got a B and a C at GCSE in the subject they want to read at university, there would be good reasons for that, so yes, on the grounds of extenuating circumstances.

Otherwise no.

What a strangely worded (But true) response :h:

Out of rep am afraid :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending