The Student Room Group

Can i resit exam as private candidate?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JackTheLad18
Maybe you could answer my dilemma too?
After AS level I switched colleges and transferred OCR ums into AQA ums for business studies so that I could carry on with the subject at A2. I now have a B overall at A2 but want to bump it up to an A really and, seeing as my memory tells me that the first exam I sat (at my old centre) and knowing that I'm not allowed to resit that module at my new college with AQA, would I be allowed to go back to my former college as a private candidate to redo that exam? It's quite a confusing situation I know haha

Even if you have transferred the AS you can go back and re-sit an AS paper with the original exam board (but not with the board you are using for A2) anywhere you like. However, the exam officer for your current centre will have to complete some paperwork to re-transfer the altered AS marks and it may delay the awarding of your final A level grade by a day or 2 in the summer (the paperwork says there may be a delay, in the 5-8 times I've done this there never has been one). The official deadline for the re-transfer was October, so if you are going to do this don't delay on finding a centre to take the AS unit and getting your exams officer to submit the new transfer request.
Reply 21
Original post by Data
For A level there is no limit to the number of times you can re-sit. The actual exam fees the board charges vary from about £12-16 for Maths, but centres add on an admin fee - private candidates can take up a lot of time and it's a sellers' market so this can be anything from £0 to £150. Anything under £30 a unit would be good value, but as a previous poster said, your old centre is the best place to start asking.

The exam board entry deadline for January exams is 21 October but centres are likely to work to earlier internal deadlines.

Isn't there a new rule that states you can only resit a particular paper once?

This includes private candidates too surely?
Reply 22
Original post by LadyJoka
Isn't there a new rule that states you can only resit a particular paper once?

No, no restrictions have been put on numbers of re-sits. However, the withdrawal of January units means that people will only get the chance to re-sit once during a 2 year course.
Reply 23
Original post by mujahid_e3
I received my results in august and i got in to the uni i wanted to, i'm happy, however looking at some future jobs relating to degree all state you need Grade B for Maths but i have C.

My Units have been cashed in but i just need to resit one exam to boost it upto a B so i can have a peace of mind knowing i meet some requirements.

Can anyone please tell me if its possible to resit just the one exam as a private candidate? even though grades are cashed in?
Please let me know soon!

All help appreciated

yes you can! I'm doing it now for one subject because of 1 darn UMS, but the private centre may charge more. Good luck! :smile:

Original post by JackTheLad18
Maybe you could answer my dilemma too?
After AS level I switched colleges and transferred OCR ums into AQA ums for business studies so that I could carry on with the subject at A2. I now have a B overall at A2 but want to bump it up to an A really and, seeing as my memory tells me that the first exam I sat (at my old centre) and knowing that I'm not allowed to resit that module at my new college with AQA, would I be allowed to go back to my former college as a private candidate to redo that exam? It's quite a confusing situation I know haha

ive moved schools mid way alevels had switched chem from aqa to ocr and basically i'm doing 1 AS retake but school have said I have to do it with my old board, but they are entering me for it, although if they dont enter you, youll have to do it else where (a college, old schools, or anywhere which offers that exam and is willing to take you on)
What am I going to do because I have failed all GCSEs and would it be possible for me to resit my GCSEs for free or apply for private candidate in order to move on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😵

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending