The Student Room Group

Costs of eye checks/glasses/contacts etc

Hi guys,

I've been meaning to get my eyes checked for a while now but have waited until I paid my tuition fee and then knowing I have enough money for everything before going. Could someone help me break down (roughly) how much the trip to the opticians will cost, considering it's my first time getting my eyes checked, and getting glasses, etc. Is specsavers the cheapest? How about if I was looking to get contact lenses too?

I really want to know how much I am expected to spend there because I really have no idea and need to be prepared if it's a lot of money. I know for certain I'm short sighted as I can't see very far anymore.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Students get free eye tests and lenses. I only had to pay for the frames for my glasses which were £26. You have to fill in a HC1 form which you should be able to get in most healthcare related places, I got mine from the dentist.
Original post by Elwyn
Students get free eye tests and lenses. I only had to pay for the frames for my glasses which were £26. You have to fill in a HC1 form which you should be able to get in most healthcare related places, I got mine from the dentist.

Really? Three years as a student and noone had ever told me lol. This sounds good but do you know if it applies to postgrads?
I just checked the nhs site and it's only free for 19 and under. I'm a bit older than that lol
Reply 4
Original post by yennibubs
I just checked the nhs site and it's only free for 19 and under. I'm a bit older than that lol

I never knew that. Damn, looks like I'll have to start paying soon.
Reply 5
Hey, I was recently in the same situation as you. I went to specsavers, the eye test cost me £5 (it was a promotional offer, I think it is still on). Then chose new glasses, you get a range (£25 cheapest I saw to designer ones £125). As a student you get discounts too but it wont be used in conjunction with another offer. I got a £69 one, which meant I could get the lenses thinned for free but could not use my student discount. Then they give you a date for when to collect it. Regarding contact lenses, you book an appointment, get eye tested again, I did not pay for it and then another appointment to teach you how to put them on/take care of them etc. There is a 30 day free trial on right now. They range from £18 to £25 depending on the quality and how you want to use them i.e. daily etc.

Hope that helps, also you can just pop into a local store for more help and leaflets
Original post by abisolaay
Hey, I was recently in the same situation as you. I went to specsavers, the eye test cost me £5 (it was a promotional offer, I think it is still on). Then chose new glasses, you get a range (£25 cheapest I saw to designer ones £125). As a student you get discounts too but it wont be used in conjunction with another offer. I got a £69 one, which meant I could get the lenses thinned for free but could not use my student discount. Then they give you a date for when to collect it. Regarding contact lenses, you book an appointment, get eye tested again, I did not pay for it and then another appointment to teach you how to put them on/take care of them etc. There is a 30 day free trial on right now. They range from £18 to £25 depending on the quality and how you want to use them i.e. daily etc.

Hope that helps, also you can just pop into a local store for more help and leaflets

Thanks a lot for that! I never knew I would have to go twice for glasses and contacts. I thought it could be done on the same day. I'm guessing the contacts are £18-£25 per month? That sounds quite a lot to maintain :frown: How long does it usually take before I could collect it?
Reply 7
Thanks a lot for that! I never knew I would have to go twice for glasses and contacts. I thought it could be done on the same day. I'm guessing the contacts are £18-£25 per month? That sounds quite a lot to maintain :frown: How long does it usually take before I could collect it?

The price of contacts for monthly lenses is around 12-15. For dailies, you get 30 pairs for 30 quid and you can make these last however long you want depending on usage. The tests are slightly different for glasses and contacts which is why you need to book different appts.

I basically buy all my lenses and glasses abroad and get them at around 40% of the price for the exact same thing so if you can do that, I'd suggest it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8

Yeah, the lady said the tests are slightly different because the contacts are directly on your eye. Yeah they are! I am still on the 30 days free trial. Like the poster above, am thinking of getting them online too, but I am not sure how to go about it. Took a few days for mine, but depends on your prescription.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Kyalimers
The price of contacts for monthly lenses is around 12-15. For dailies, you get 30 pairs for 30 quid and you can make these last however long you want depending on usage. The tests are slightly different for glasses and contacts which is why you need to book different appts.

I basically buy all my lenses and glasses abroad and get them at around 40% of the price for the exact same thing so if you can do that, I'd suggest it.

Hiya, could you please suggest the website(s) you use, I am a little apprehensive about getting them online. Thank you.
Original post by abisolaay
Hiya, could you please suggest the website(s) you use, I am a little apprehensive about getting them online. Thank you.

I don't buy online. I buy direct when I go abroad. Sorry to confuse anyone! I would never advise buying online contact lenses as you'll never know the quality or if you're getting the right stuff.

Reply 11
Original post by Kyalimers
I don't buy online. I buy direct when I go abroad. Sorry to confuse anyone! I would never advise buying online contact lenses as you'll never know the quality or if you're getting the right stuff.

Oh right, sorry about that. Exactly the reason for my apprehension.
Thank you guys. Prices seem ok and I guess I will have time to look at contacts in another appointment! I'm going for an eye test in an hour...

Dreading the thought of it lol. I'm scared of the opticians for some reason.:redface: I look hideous in glasses too but it's needed!
Reply 13
Another thing to think about with specsavers is the lensmail scheme. If you sign up to get contact lenses on direct debit you get significant discounts on glasses. From memory you can get specs with standard lenses in £45 frames for free, £69 frames for £10 I cant remember the exact prices (though I should!!) But its a good discount though you cant use other deals with it (241 and the like). Probably the cheapest way to get lenses and specs
Original post by R. Murray
Another thing to think about with specsavers is the lensmail scheme. If you sign up to get contact lenses on direct debit you get significant discounts on glasses. From memory you can get specs with standard lenses in £45 frames for free, £69 frames for £10 I cant remember the exact prices (though I should!!) But its a good discount though you cant use other deals with it (241 and the like). Probably the cheapest way to get lenses and specs

Isn't there something about free eye tests if you use contacts?

You should still be able to get it free. You can't get free tests just for being a student, but the HC1 form is essentially a low income form and given that you are unwaged it should apply to you. Fill it in as if you live at your student address permanently and dont put anything about your parents/family (I got told this when I phoned up to check) - or it just confuses matters - and then you've got free eye tests, voucher towards glasses/contact lenses (if your prescription has changed) as well as free prescriptions etc. :smile:
I wear lenses and I pay around £30, which is really expensive but i avoid wearing them whenever i can. whatever you do, i recommend that you don't try buy cheaper lenses online, as I've done these and then when i went to have a check up they told me that they were making my eyes worse. If you decide to buy them i suggest you try have a break every few days between wearing them, gives your eyes a chance to breath, especially if you're not used to them x
Reply 17
Hi guys,

I've been meaning to get my eyes checked for a while now but have waited until I paid my tuition fee and then knowing I have enough money for everything before going. Could someone help me break down (roughly) how much the trip to the opticians will cost, considering it's my first time getting my eyes checked, and getting glasses, etc. Is specsavers the cheapest? How about if I was looking to get contact lenses too?

I really want to know how much I am expected to spend there because I really have no idea and need to be prepared if it's a lot of money. I know for certain I'm short sighted as I can't see very far anymore.

You'll get free eye checks and free lenses in GLASSES though you will almost certainly have to pay for frames. Contact lenses can be cheap or expensive depending on what you get, daily ones can cost £30-40/month, the monthlies I wear are £20/month including solution but the main advantage of lenses is that they don't break and you can get them online for much cheaper than the opticians a lot of the time and if you have friends in other countries they can probably get them for even cheaper still.
Reply 18
Original post by OU Student
Isn't there something about free eye tests if you use contacts?

This I'm not sure of to be honest. I'm working in Scotland where sight tests are free for everyone. Your aftercare appointments will be covered by the cost of the direct debit, however your main sight test may still be payable.

The aftercare appointment is looking at the health of the front of the eye in detail with respect to how your eyes are coping with the contact lenses, if you don't attend these Specsavers won't supply contact lenses in the interest of your safety.
Your sight test is to check the health of the whole eye and prescription (putting it bluntly here, but you get the gist).

Both checks are essential and while I appreciate the financial strain this may put on you it's always worth getting your eyes checked regularly.

I can't say for sure but some practices might refund the cost of the sight test should you get contact lenses or glasses (I'm not sure if Specsavers do this as sight tests are free in Scotland). Personally I feel this devalues the sight test and the importance of it however it might make things a bit cheaper for yourself if you feel you are needing correction.

Hope this helps.
Thank you all for the replies. I didn't realise I would still be eligible with the hc1 form so I just paid. They said I could get the 2for1 offer with glasses that range from £69-125 but then have to pay for the eye test (£20) and another £30 for each pair of glasses for the anti glare thing. The other option was to get one pair of glasses, and the eye test and anti glare would be free.

I knew I would be lookin at getting contacts so I got one pair for £69 and that was the overall total.

I will take more time with my contacts options though as I'm not desperate for them yet! :smile: I might try out daily ones first and see how it goes. I'm not too sure on how often I would actually wear them so I will need to think about that.

My eyes turned out to be -2.00 and -2.25 so that's not very good lol... :frown: don't know how I survived for so long without glasses to be honest!!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300

Quick Reply

Latest