The Student Room Group

Why do people buy Macs?

Scroll to see replies

It's entirely subjective. End of. You like green, i like blue.
Original post by {Unregistered}
I thought they got updated 3 times every year...Will have to check this one.

Nothing on supporting the Thunderbolt interface is mainstream yet, but for a number of possible uses of this technology in the near future, you might want to look here: http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/12_possible_uses_thunderbolt_port
Also, the 13" MBP (the latest model, mid-2012, that I have) has, in fact, 2 USB ports, both of which are USB 3.0.

The Vaio you linked me to does seem rather nice but it's about £200 more than the 13" MBP with similar hardware (except for the SSD). You simply cannot compare laptops across different price ranges.

No, I meant to ask what you wanted to say since I couldn't understand you.

True.

The link to the Sony website doesn't work for me.
The Dell you linked me to is 17", so not really portable. It's more than 1.5 times the weight of the 13" MBP, and has poor battery life (3: 37 instead of 6+ hours [7 hours as advertised by Apple]). Also, it seems really old as it's not available online anymore. I can't view the detailed tech specs either.

You have to try harder. :tongue:

Firewire is better than USB, but it never took off. Why? No idea, but that happens in the elec industry.

Apple make their own drivers, thus it is incredibly hard for companies to make programs that perform well on Apple computers. Although most software is so easy to run nowadays that the user would not be able to tell the difference, when it comes to demanding software such as games, the difference is vast.

Erm, the MacBook Pro starts at £999, and the Vaio was £850 with the same/better specs :s-smilie:
As for the Dell, just buy a smaller screen then, and it will be cheaper :redface:
Original post by Fallen
Why is that, might I ask? Does it provide better compatibility than my OS? No. Does it provide better real-world performance than my OS? No. Does it even provide more stability than my OS? No.

Stability is often touted by people who have installed Ubuntu on a partition and now consider themselves an uber hacker. The barebones Linux box is very stable, which is why it forms the basis of most of the worlds servers.
Most popular distributions, bundled in with all their packages and windowing environments, have many, many bugs and causes of instability, however.
But without a windowing environment, a web browser, and all the other bells and whistles it is entirely useless as a check-your-emails-and-facebook computer.

Heck, I always find even the most basic tasks (like the shut down menu) on GNOME can be iffy. That's why I only use Linux if I have a specific reason to, and usually without a windowing environment.

The bold parts is what i dont agree on.

Btw, i dont use ubuntu :smile:, however, it was the first distro of linux i used when i started to learn it.
Original post by wales321
I haven't read the whole thread, but the main anti mac argument i see is why pay more for their products when you can get a much higher spec windows product for the same price. Personally i use both, i have one of the higher spec iMac's and a medium spec windows desktop. Why did i get a mac? because i wanted one . . .simple. I could have got another windows machine but tbh i am bored of windows, it just seems bloated and slow in comparison. The mac, when teamed with the trackpad is so easy to use, multi gesture features just make for complete ease of use and a nicer user experience. In comparison my mac beats my other PC for processing power in every way. I really don't see peoples problems when people suggest buying a mac. If you can afford it and your happy to pay for a mac then you won't be disappointed. I couldn't care less what the haters think, i am very happy with my mac purchase and still use windows machines for work and uni. I much prefer using the mac, but i don't hate windows, a rare thing it seems.

As much as I profess to being anti-Apple (but that's my opinion of course) I don't force my idealisms onto other Mac users. Most Mac users buy Macs without any validation for their purchase. Specs are irrelevant for the most part - but only because you can't do as much commercially (I use 'commercially' loosely) with a Mac like you can with a Windows machine.

Gamers interested in specs and the latest titles will tout for Windows machines, absolutely. Most software is written for a Windows machine, and in real term performance (i.e. day to day) a Mac offers no benefits over a Windows machine.

If people want to buy a Mac, they are entitled to do so absolutely. But, other than aesthetics and things a Mac has that Windows doesn't, Mac users have absolutely failed to explain WHY they bought a Mac in the first place. Most people just wont benefit from the gizmos the Macs offer.

I'm still very much a guy that sticks firmly to his keyboard and mouse set. I have little interest in a trackpad - which is the generalised attitude of why people don't purchase Macs.
Reply 104
Mac stuff is functionally and aesthetically good, and all the stuff integrates and connects brilliantly with little user effort.

My issue though is that Apple very covertly makes you dependent and reliant upon them. You have the walled garden ecosystem etc where barriers are put up to third party competition.

I'm not one for needing loads of 'connectedness' and stuff. I could easily get an android laptop next time. In fact I might.
Reply 105
They taste nice and only cost £4. Plus MacDonald's has really good customer service. Ahh Macs. I'm loving it
Reply 106
Because it is made by a respectable company, Apple.
How refreshing it is to see a completely original thread on TSR!

:colonhash:
Because i can.
Reply 109
Because I'm worth it

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 110
The Apple fanboy phenomenon is frankly odd.

I remember back in my youth we had:

ZX Spectrum vs Commodore C64
Amiga vs Atari
Megadrive vs NES

Then later

PES vs Xbox vs N64

Nothing as fanatical as the Apple tech cult though. Apple has this bizarre hipster lifestyle thing going on. I suppose it is filling some sort of hole?
Reply 111
Original post by Dpdr
Apple put a lot into marketing.

Do have to credit Macs for Sound Engineering and Video Production.

Ah, this explains it really.

Repped! Love this!! :biggrin:
Reply 112
Original post by Chad_Bronson
As much as I profess to being anti-Apple (but that's my opinion of course) I don't force my idealisms onto other Mac users. Most Mac users buy Macs without any validation for their purchase. Specs are irrelevant for the most part - but only because you can't do as much commercially (I use 'commercially' loosely) with a Mac like you can with a Windows machine.

Gamers interested in specs and the latest titles will tout for Windows machines, absolutely. Most software is written for a Windows machine, and in real term performance (i.e. day to day) a Mac offers no benefits over a Windows machine.

If people want to buy a Mac, they are entitled to do so absolutely. But, other than aesthetics and things a Mac has that Windows doesn't, Mac users have absolutely failed to explain WHY they bought a Mac in the first place. Most people just wont benefit from the gizmos the Macs offer.

I'm still very much a guy that sticks firmly to his keyboard and mouse set. I have little interest in a trackpad - which is the generalised attitude of why people don't purchase Macs.

Why do people buy a mac? why do you buy anything over another product? it is personal preference. Everyone has their reasons why one product is better than another. Personally i am quite happy for both to live in harmony. I do a lot of programming, nothing wrong with windows for that purpose. I also do a lot of video, web and graphical work, for that my mac beats my windows machine in every way. Would i claim one machine is superior to the other? No, they both have their place, and have their strengths/weaknesses. You get the hardcore fans on both sides windows and macs, for these people they will never be converted or persuaded. This argument will never go away imo, but i see no reason why if someone wants to buy a mac over a windows machine they get so much abuse and bullying into buying a windows equivalent. The majority of mac users do know they can get an equivalent (or more) spec windows alternative for the same price. personally the user experience and multi tasking performance i have never experienced on a windows machine. But again, that is personal experience and preference. The argument will continue for many years to come i'm sure. . . :smile:
I like the feel of the mac - I have a macbook air and love it however the operating system is questionable compared to windows ever used outlook or excel on a mac? Its **** excuse the bad word but it is. However the design of the laptop and quality of keyboard/screen is excellent.
Reply 114
Original post by CoolRunner
The bold parts is what i dont agree on.

Btw, i dont use ubuntu :smile:, however, it was the first distro of linux i used when i started to learn it.

You think a barebones box without no GUI is good for most people's uses?

I am all for terminal, I do a lot of programming without a windowing environment in VIm on stripped down CentOS, but it is not good for 99% of day to day uses. There is a reason why I use Windows day to day despite having a strong background in Linux dev.
I mean, you can get Linux to work pretty well with a GUI, but I just don't see the value add if I am honest. With a lot of effort I could move away from Windows, get everything set up in Linux. Get most of my expensive Windows applications working just about well enough in Wine. But I don't see where the advantage comes in. I would certainly lose functionality and performance in my Abobe products, as well as making .NET dev harder. Perhaps acceptable trade-offs, but only if I get back something good in return.
Original post by Fallen
You think a barebones box without no GUI is good for most people's uses?

I am all for terminal, I do a lot of programming without a windowing environment in VIm on stripped down CentOS, but it is not good for 99% of day to day uses. There is a reason why I use Windows day to day despite having a strong background in Linux dev.
I mean, you can get Linux to work pretty well with a GUI, but I just don't see the value add if I am honest. With a lot of effort I could move away from Windows, get everything set up in Linux. Get most of my expensive Windows applications working just about well enough in Wine. But I don't see where the advantage comes in. I would certainly lose functionality and performance in my Abobe products, as well as making .NET dev harder. Perhaps acceptable trade-offs, but only if I get back something good in return.

Totally agree +1, However, Programming on terminal is not as hard everyone say it is. I mainly develop in linux, so thats probably the reason why i have such a strong bias xD.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by wales321
Why do people buy a mac? why do you buy anything over another product? it is personal preference. Everyone has their reasons why one product is better than another. Personally i am quite happy for both to live in harmony. I do a lot of programming, nothing wrong with windows for that purpose. I also do a lot of video, web and graphical work, for that my mac beats my windows machine in every way. Would i claim one machine is superior to the other? No, they both have their place, and have their strengths/weaknesses. You get the hardcore fans on both sides windows and macs, for these people they will never be converted or persuaded. This argument will never go away imo, but i see no reason why if someone wants to buy a mac over a windows machine they get so much abuse and bullying into buying a windows equivalent. The majority of mac users do know they can get an equivalent (or more) spec windows alternative for the same price. personally the user experience and multi tasking performance i have never experienced on a windows machine. But again, that is personal experience and preference. The argument will continue for many years to come i'm sure. . . :smile:

You've pretty much summarised why I created this thread. Your reason for using both machines are

WINDOWS - Programming.
MAC - Video, web, graphic work.

So why, therefore, had people not simply answered the question in a reasonable way, just like you did? Thank you :smile:

Most Mac users seem insistent on buying one "Because they can." which is sanctimonious and wholly uppity. Please, if you're just going to comment "Because I can" which is very unhelpful, don't bother posting. Take your Windows hate elsewhere.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
No, he hasn't "answered" your question; he simply stated what you wanted to hear to support your cause. There is little wrong with what was said in post 2 but you completely ignored that due to your own blinkered views.

My my, what a complete moron you are. :rolleyes: If you actually read through my thread, I've said I don't personally understand why people buy Macs when a Windows box works just fine, and I've expressed my reasons for preferring Windows. That doesn't mean I hate Mac users, or indeed the Mac - I hate the arrogant Mac attitude of Windows hating people because they've paid more for something, therefore it automatically makes them better.

Several posters have explained to me why they prefer Mac, and I've accepted their opinion - but most people don't NEED Macs - They're not, if configured correctly, better than a Windows machine in ANY WAY.

So please, get off your high horse, and post a comment relevant to this thread - Which is "Why do people buy Macs?".
Original post by Fallen
Why is that, might I ask? Does it provide better compatibility than my OS? No. Does it provide better real-world performance than my OS? No. Does it even provide more stability than my OS? No.

Stability is often touted by people who have installed Ubuntu on a partition and now consider themselves an uber hacker. The barebones Linux box is very stable, which is why it forms the basis of most of the worlds servers.
Most popular distributions, bundled in with all their packages and windowing environments, have many, many bugs and causes of instability, however.
But without a windowing environment, a web browser, and all the other bells and whistles it is entirely useless as a check-your-emails-and-facebook computer.

Heck, I always find even the most basic tasks (like the shut down menu) on GNOME can be iffy. That's why I only use Linux if I have a specific reason to, and usually without a windowing environment.

Correct.

There is no disputing the nature of Linux as a whole - not necessarily tied to Ubuntu or Linux - is very, very stable. But, I've got a Linux partition and as much as I wanted to like it, I kept coming back to Windows.

The distribution I have is Linux Mint - under the Cinnamon window interface. The problem with Linux, the overwhelming problem - is that for the average mug like me it just isn't user friendly and requires a lot of messing about to set up something that, in Windows, was relatively pain-free to do so. It requires more clicks in necessary.

I, probably like most PC users, want a Linux box that is stable and is simple to use. Were not necessarily interested in coding and the likes, and while Linux distributions have improved substancially over the last few years in becoming easier, there nowhere near as slick or easy to work with like Windows is - installing applications, for example.

What switched me back to Windows after a month of heavily using Linux Mint is their office suite completely sucks - LibreOffice missing even the fundamentals Office 2010 has; and it corrupts my documents when opening them back up in Office 2010.

In 2012, I shouldn't have to learn commands to install programs. Whereas Windows 7 is minimalist and doesn't get in the way (over, say, Vista) Linux distributions have far less code, but still remains stuck in the past.

IMO, anyway.
Reply 119
Macs generally tend to attract people of the creative industry, as creative software/ graphic design/ animation tend to flow and run better on a mac. I don't know to what extent this is true or not (as software like 3DS Max is only on Windows).
They also have a premium look and feel to them. There are a lot more (1000's) combinations of PC's components, whereas there is only really one Macbook pro (with a few configuration differences and taking into account the screen sizes) thus the OS and software can really be optimized.

They also hold their value a lot longer than PC's, and the Macbook range are known to last a while.

It all depends on your needs, it's a simple as, if you have a budget or would rather have more raw performance for your buck, go for a PC. If you have some money lying around, or you prefer to work on a Mac for the industry you work in, go for a Mac.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending