The Student Room Group

A possible Masters course with a placement?

Hi there folks I'm looking at the possibility of doing a masters since I was unhappy with my previous degree in computing and would like to re-route towards the business/marketing side.

As I'm doing a gap year before I apply I have noticed that jobs (relevant to the degree or what you want to do) are hard to come by, especially career leading. Graduate schemes or internships I'm not really getting any luck. This could be becuase of my average A level results (family related) despite obtaining a 2.1 in the degree.

I was just wondering if there are many masters courses available with a placement scheme built into it? This would be beneficial as I would gain valuable experiance and if I perform hard enough, maybe a job offer at the end.

Thanks
See the response to this thread, which I think might be relevant to you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2120911

TL;DR = an MA is not a shortcut to employability, they are very expensive, you would be better off investing the money in work experience / part time jobs etc.
Masters are only a year long and usually consist of 2/3rds taught element and 1/3rd research project. Fitting a placement into this profile is therefore going to be difficult. For instance, the MSc in Marketing at Bath :http://www.bath.ac.uk/management/msc_marketing/structure/ and they require A good degree (2:1 or above) with significant business/ management content including marketing

Uni of Salford offers an MA in Marketing with an extra optional 'placement year' bu since you've got to fund yourself then it look remarkably like an internship to me. Salford only requires a 2.2 and doesnt insist on prior study.

You biggest issue will be, as with all PG courses, funding. Sometimes studentships for specific projects come up on www.jobs.ac.uk. (scroll right down to the bottom of the page). This site is worth searching every month or so as studentship ops change frequently but obviously most are advertised to start in Sept/Oct - therefore best time to look is usually from Easter to July.
Reply 3
Original post by returnmigrant
Masters are only a year long and usually consist of 2/3rds taught element and 1/3rd research project. Fitting a placement into this profile is therefore going to be difficult. For instance, the MSc in Marketing at Bath :http://www.bath.ac.uk/management/msc_marketing/structure/ and they require A good degree (2:1 or above) with significant business/ management content including marketing

Uni of Salford offers an MA in Marketing with an extra optional 'placement year' bu since you've got to fund yourself then it look remarkably like an internship to me. Salford only requires a 2.2 and doesnt insist on prior study.

You biggest issue will be, as with all PG courses, funding. Sometimes studentships for specific projects come up on www.jobs.ac.uk. (scroll right down to the bottom of the page). This site is worth searching every month or so as studentship ops change frequently but obviously most are advertised to start in Sept/Oct - therefore best time to look is usually from Easter to July.

Funding will not be an issue at all.

However I am very interested in marketing, especially digital marketing. I feel that my current degree is not good enough to push me into the marketing related jobs. Maybe a masters would help and also give me a taster of what to expect?

One particular course I am looking at is International Business at Nottingham uni. The masters is intended for non business students only so being overwhelmed should not happen - they also do an optional module in China which I feel may come of some use especially during the current economic climate...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending