The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Time to go for a more proportional system and sort out the anomalies of Independents
Indies got 20% of the vote and just three seats. I'd definitely be in favour of an improved system to tackle that unfairness.

Well done to Addzter though, only Labour beat you. :lolwut:
Original post by Morgsie
You did nothing, NOTHING and still won

Congratulate them and get it over and done with...
Not a good result for us :s Congrats to UKIP for the extra seats though
Reply 1184
STV anyone?
Original post by Morgsie
You did nothing, NOTHING and still won

Stop being a poor sport. It's a game. Yes manifestos mean little and most people vote based on RL political feelings, but really it doesn't matter.
(edited 11 years ago)
Why has Labour gained a seat despite being 3% down on last time?

A quirk of the electoral system i assume.
Lol, wow. Sweet.

Original post by Morgsie
Can't believe Labour got away with blue murder

I can't believe you're such a sore loser.

To the Lib Dems: I imagine two of your three seats will be going to the leader and deputy (t_c and birchington, if there haven't been any changes) leaving one for someone else from the party. After all that's happened with him (right now and stretching back months and months), I really don't think it'd be wise to allocate it to Morgsie. Give it to someone sensible like Mazzini, force Morgsie to have a term on the sidelines to grow up and perhaps bring him back if you win more seats next time. He does nothing but damage the reputation of the Lib Dems and you'd be fools to keep him on.
Reply 1188
Original post by Morgsie
STV anyone?

Isn't STV insanely complicated?
Reply 1189
Original post by ukip72
Isn't STV insanely complicated?

It's like AV but more proportional, vote for preferences 123.
Original post by Addzter
Lol, wow. Sweet.
Congratulations!

The Lib Dems may be smaller but no less influential here. Here's to the next Parliament, whatever happens.
Come on though morgsie, lose with dignity and all that. Congratulations to all of the parties who have gained, commiserations to all those who have, like us, lost seats.
Original post by Morgsie
Time to go for a more proportional system and sort out the anomalies of Independents

Tbh D'hondt is a pretty proportional way of doing things so I don't know what you mean by that. I'll see what I think about the independent idea though. At the moment I have a few reservations.
Reply 1193
What a shame.

I haven't been able to get on properly for the past week, I'd get on for a second and them bam, the connection would go kaput. Now I've finally got it fixed and am greeted by this lovely little result. I can only assume that my absence is what caused the Tories to lose so many seats :tongue: (Yes I think I might be a narcissist) But, we will remain strong, because forming a government which adheres to the principles of the free market and personal freedom is not out of reach. Though it will obviously be a lot more challenging to form one than ever before.

Congratulations however to everyone and every party that polled well. Commiserations to those that didn't, and may we all look forward to yet another term, I think it has the capacity to be quite an enjoyable one.
Yet again, Labour on top. :smile:

Well done to all parties though!
Original post by CLS94
How would that differ from what we have now, which seems to be heavily based on PR in any case? I can't see it changing much.

I mean in terms of how votes are cast (with the ranking of candidates), that way the 2nd preference of an indie candidate would get the seats.
Original post by Birchington
Congratulations!

The Lib Dems may be smaller but no less influential here. Here's to the next Parliament, whatever happens.

Thanks. :pierre: Wish I could form the Addzter Party and use all my seats or something...

Yeah the Lib Dems definitely aren't going to fade away. Clearly goings on with the RL party have conspired to lower your share of the vote, which is a shame.
Original post by Morgsie

Well this pure proportionality

LAB (24.4%): 13 (-2)
ADD (12.5%): 7 (+6)
CON (12.0%): 6 (-1)
UKIP (10.5%): 5 (-1)
LBT (9.8%): 5 (-1)
GRN (8.5%): 4 (-1)
SOC (8.5%): 4 (-1)
LD (6.3%): 3 (=)
BAR (4.7%): 2 (+1)
INT (2.7%): 1 (=)
Original post by Morgsie
STV anyone?

Think about the restraints of the forum format though. STV would have to be done entirely by PM, and that would take up a lot of the speakers time and result in a much reduced turnout.
It's a landslide for the Lib Dems. First action is to abolish all democratic elections and to mobilize the army and invade the H&R board.

Latest

Trending

Trending