The Student Room Group

Personal statement ....?

I have to write my personal statement now and I'm worried as hell.

I have absolutely nothing to write about and don't even know where to start.

Could someone give me a rough format of how to structure one best...?

I'm applying for physics btw. :biggrin:

thanks
1) Why do you want to do this course? What gets you going about Physics?

2) Career? Any ideas? (Doesnt matter if you dont at this stage - honest)

3) What do you do outside of school? Sport? Hobbies? DoE? What skills, attitudes or behaviours have these activities taught you?

The usual format is approx 2/3rds on why you wan tto do physics and 1/3rd on 'you'.

Write, read it, alter it. Write it all out again. Lots of times. You'll get there in the end.
Original post by mora11
I have to write my personal statement now and I'm worried as hell.

I have absolutely nothing to write about and don't even know where to start.

Could someone give me a rough format of how to structure one best...?

I'm applying for physics btw. :biggrin:

thanks

Read my profile.
I watched this video when doing mine last year, its a bit lengthy but really does go into immensely helpful detail.
http://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/imedia/content/view/1738/how-to-write-an-excellent-personal-statement

This format worked solidly for me;
Academic strengths (how your subjects fit into your degree choice)
Outside interests in subject (extra curricular reading/short courses)
Work experience (should probably be related to your degree choice)
Extra curriculars (should be shorter than the other three - basic outline of sports achievements/tutoring you may have done)
Basically focus everything you talk about back to your subject.
Reply 4
I agree with "returnmigrant".

2/3 on how you are suited to the course and a 1/3 on yourself!
Reply 5
Hi everyone, I'm currently tweaking my personal statement and have included a largish paragraph on my A level subjects. However all the teachers at my college are saying that we need to do a paragraph on each subject we're taking. Is it me or isn't that a bit much?
I thought that when they said 60% academic that included A level subjects, extra reading into subjects, maybe work experience and then the other 40% would be like voluntary, extra curricular and so on. What should I do? I don't really see the point in doing so much about my A level subjects because everyone takes them and everything else you do like extra reading and work experience makes you unique.
Original post by j.mason1306
Hi everyone, I'm currently tweaking my personal statement and have included a largish paragraph on my A level subjects. However all the teachers at my college are saying that we need to do a paragraph on each subject we're taking. Is it me or isn't that a bit much?

It is way, way, way over the top. Your A level subjects are not really of all that much interest, unless they happen to be your proposed degree subject. Admissions tutors, amazingly, know what you get from studying A level physics or French, say, without you telling them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending