The Student Room Group

Co-op Young drivers Mileage - Experiences?

I know there's a generic thread about this already but this one's specifically about changing the annual mileage everyone's always going on about & opinions of those already with co-op.

I'm looking to get insured with them on a 1.2 Polo by putting down my mileage to the bare minimum 0-1000 & my mum's to about 5-6000 & a relatives about the same. Realistically I'm going to be doing all the miles since I'll be using the car the most with my mum using it every now & then. When i put in my actual miles my quote rockets by 4 grand :eek:

Has anyone else done something similar to this & got the insurance and how did it work out? My friends are all saying to do it but I'm not as ballsy as them and worried about getting in a crash & not get a pay out after saving loads of money for my insurance, but then again I really need a car.

I have looked around literally everywhere & the cheapest I got is 5500 & even that was just thirs party, theft etc. My postcose is one of the worst in the country it seems :angry:

Was just wondering what people's opinions were. Thanks for any help or tips guys.
Reply 1
Have you tried Insure The Box? Quite similar to Co-op, although it's purely mileage based and they don't increase your premiums during the policy if you drive poorly. I did more than 4,000 miles last year and I didn't drive too much... doing between 0-1000 miles is just too low, unless you drive your car only on the weekends or something.
Reply 2
I've done what you did OP (although I put my miles at 1000-2000) No problems so far. About half a year into the insurance.
Reply 3
Whats the point in having car insurance if you're not going to do it honestly / legally?
Original post by Ishy_Blackburn

Was just wondering what people's opinions were. Thanks for any help or tips guys.

Lying to an insurance company is one of the most idiotic things you could possibly do. It could leave you uninsured, and you wouldn't find out until after you had had the accident that placed a father of six in a coma, leaving his children destitute yourself banned for driving while uninsured.
Reply 5
If you do what you intend to do you will be committing fraud and could face being uninsured if you were to make a claim.

If you are lying about who will be the main driver as you are too high of a risk then it's illegal. A lot of people may get away with it but if you were to be in a crash and it happens to be at 8:30am on your daily commute to work the insurance company won't take long to ask questions especially if you've just written off a 2012 audi a5. I've heard cases were they write to your neighbours to ask who uses the car most often.

If you cannot afford to insure a car, don't drive. I'm sick of the legit drivers like me who have paid full price for insurance without having parents on insurance, etc gaining no benefits over the people who whack themselves as a named driver on their parents and get it for 5 times cheaper than I do. My best friend does it and he now even builds up no claims discount for an insurance company that won't even provide me with a quote. I paid £2200 for my first year of insurance and now I pay £1100. It might seem like a lot but at least I don't have to worry about having illegitimate insurance and in the long run I'll be able to insure a much better car when I'm 21 than my friend who can't stay on his parents policy anymore.

Try companies like LV and Quinn Direct. Comparison websites were quoting over £3500 for me where as LV were almost half that and my policy halved after 1 year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending