The Student Room Group

Coping with Placement!

Im currently on a ward which i really really dont like, purely because the staff are very unfriendly, so im basically getting ignored every single twelve hour shift that i do! I have 4 weeks to go and im wondering if anyone has been in this position and has any tips to get through it? Because right now I feel depressed everytime I have to go to the ward :frown: I am a 3rd year student so have had many placements before this one although this is definitely the worst and im really struggling to find the motivation for it!

Hope someone else has a similar story they can share!
Reply 1
Do you not have any option to request a change in placement?

Granted I have left studying nursing for many reasons but the last placement before I left I was on a ward where I felt certain staff members were personally against me.

I can appreciate that it can be difficult to go to work in an area where people are unfriendly and what can seem unsupportive. As previously mentioned, I would request a change in placement, attempt to arrange a meeting with either your course tutor or if you have them, a link placement coordinator to talk to the ward manager in an attempt to resolve any negativity. Or I would say knuckle down, you are a 3rd year student there are only 4 weeks left. If you're previous placements haven't been like this then you know they obviously just have a bad team. Don't let them ruin what you want to do! Be positive and a great nurse regardless.
Reply 2
Yeah I would speak to the link lecturer... or the person who is in charge of the link between your uni and the trust... or speak to your personal tutor ... or the ward manager?

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest