The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester Law

Is anyone applying for law this year????

Im in love with the uni!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm a 4th year Leicester lawyer. Let me know if you have s :smile:
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Ooh

Im interested in the new programme law with a modern language.

I was just wondering how useful the staff have been in providing feedback and preparation for exams.

Also how is the workload?
Is the law society any good?
And are there oppurtunities given to you to obtain work experience and training contracts?

Most of all is everyone on the course friendly and how many of you are there?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by roh
I'm a 4th year Leicester lawyer. Let me know if you have s :smile:

Ooh

I was just wondering how useful the staff have been in providing feedback and preparation for exams.

And are there oppurtunities given to you to obtain work experience and training contracts?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me! Where else are you applying?
Reply 5
Original post by livvy0606
Ooh

Thanks

Ah cool, which one? It is new but I do the closest current equivalent (Law with French Law and Language).

They're good with feedback, both in Langs and Law. In terms of exam prep that's pretty much up to you, they've given all you need by then and uni is about independent learning so you should be able to do the rest yourself. They do revision lectures which can be useful if you want to go to them.

The workload's tough but not insurmountable. My girlfriend's a medic and it's nothing like the amount she does.

The Law Soc is really good, get plenty of competitions and networking events going plus social stuff like Law ball and Lawyers vs. Medics drinking competition at Xmas and sports teams.

No, no Law School will provide you with either a vac scheme or a TC, you have to apply for that independently, but they will help you with the networking stuff and have a look over your CV for you. Plenty of Leicester students do get TCs, including MC if you want that (though if you do I think Oxbridge is worth having on your CV), but you have to apply to them independently of the uni, which is the same everywhere.

My course, Law with French, is very friendly and there are 9 of us. The whole of Law is about 250 I think and pretty friendly, but given the nature of the course (mainly lectures with no lab time) your main group of friends will be from halls (which is the norm for everyone bar medics).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Oh thank you that was really helpful...spanish probably..although i might try beginners italian...not quite sure...and they aren't 100% it is going to br a qualifying law degree....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by vaguity
Me! Where else are you applying?

Sussex sheffield nottingham liverpool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sussex sheffield nottingham liverpool

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh nice! We have Sheffield in common then!

I'm also wondering whether to swap one of my choices to Nottingham too :P
Reply 9
Original post by vaguity
Oh nice! We have Sheffield in common then!

I'm also wondering whether to swap one of my choices to Nottingham too :P

Where else you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Leicester applicant here!! Hopefully I will get in, its my only option out of the 5 which I fell in love with :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where else you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'm having some last minute changes of heart haha

Sheffield, Birmingham and Bristol definitely

then I have to choose between Nottingham/Warwick/Newcastle/Leicester

probably Newcastle and Nottingham or Warwick, going to do a practice LNAT test again and see if 3 LNAT universities are worth the risk. If not, then Warwick.
Reply 12
Original post by ezgggg
Leicester applicant here!! Hopefully I will get in, its my only option out of the 5 which I fell in love with :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i feel the same its amazing!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Finally, UCAS Track updated and I've been offered a place for LLB Law at Leicester! From Canada to the UK.

It feels so much more comfortable knowing the accreditation process is easier now...I know a couple students who just graduated from Leicester's 3 year LLB program and are working in B.C. now. It's becoming more recognizable, from what I've heard.

:beer:
Reply 14
I reallly want a place!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
has anyone started to look at accommodation? Im wondering if anyone have gone to an open day and know where the law lectures will be or where the societies meet? I want to be close to that :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by maplesyrup1
has anyone started to look at accommodation? Im wondering if anyone have gone to an open day and know where the law lectures will be or where the societies meet? I want to be close to that :biggrin:

Oadby is a bus ride away, about 10 mins.

Any of the city ones will be about 10 mins walk, guessing Freemen's is nearest to the Law building but it's a negligible difference. Societies meet all over the place depending on what facilities they need. Which are you interested in?
Original post by roh
Oadby is a bus ride away, about 10 mins.

Any of the city ones will be about 10 mins walk, guessing Freemen's is nearest to the Law building but it's a negligible difference. Societies meet all over the place depending on what facilities they need. Which are you interested in?

i want to get pretty involved. definatly Canadian law soc., and maybe if there's some sort of a mooting or probono group?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by maplesyrup1
i want to get pretty involved. definatly Canadian law soc., and maybe if there's some sort of a mooting or probono group?

Oh they're based at the Law School, other than socials which are obviously at bars and clubs in town, so you'll be fine.

Pro Bono is a separate society affiliated to Law Soc and mooting, both internal and external, is run by the main Law Soc.
awesome thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending