The Student Room Group

advice, guy in relationship

firstly, please dont leave comments about what a terrible person I am for going for a guy in a relationship as that is not what im here to get advice on.

There is this guy friend who I made out with a few weeks ago and ever since we have been texting every day (I didnt find out he had a girlfriend until AFTER i made out with him).

He said him and his girlfriend are rocky and he is unsure what to do (theyve been together almost 2.5 years).

We have both made it clear that nothing will happen between us again because it is not fair on his girlfriend.

Im pretty certain he likes me as he texts a lot and when hes drunk he does very slightly come onto me, though I just ignore it.

I dont really know what to do. I dont want to stop talking to him because I really like him, but at the same time its torture knowing that nothing will happen whilst he is with her.

He is not a player or anything like that but he does seem interested in me- looks at me a lot, texts all the time, touches me etc.

What should I do?
What he's done is completely human. If he's in an unsatisfying relationship, it's only normal that he'll become interested in somebody else. It's not your fault at all about what happened.

Since they're in a long-term relationship they may find it difficult to break-up due to having a sort-of dependency on each other and they may try to resolve their relationship between them, so I wouldn't hold out for him.

I think the best thing you can do is cool off the guy for a little while, because he'll be confused at the moment and needs to figure out what he wants. You should just focus on yourself and what you want to do, continue to be a good friend to him, and if he decides that he doesn't want to be with her anymore, then maybe you could get a little closer to him then? But remember that he'll want a little break from being in a relationship, so he may not jump automatically into another realtionship, certainly not a long-term one straight away.
Reply 2
firstly, please dont leave comments about what a terrible person I am for going for a guy in a relationship as that is not what im here to get advice on.

There is this guy friend who I made out with a few weeks ago and ever since we have been texting every day (I didnt find out he had a girlfriend until AFTER i made out with him).

He said him and his girlfriend are rocky and he is unsure what to do (theyve been together almost 2.5 years).

We have both made it clear that nothing will happen between us again because it is not fair on his girlfriend.

Im pretty certain he likes me as he texts a lot and when hes drunk he does very slightly come onto me, though I just ignore it.

I dont really know what to do. I dont want to stop talking to him because I really like him, but at the same time its torture knowing that nothing will happen whilst he is with her.

He is not a player or anything like that but he does seem interested in me- looks at me a lot, texts all the time, touches me etc.

What should I do?

I'm assuming you're at Uni? I think this situation is every girls LDR nightmare. I guess you're the 'girl/boy at Uni my ex bf/gf fell for' or words to that effect. I can't really see how you're at fault for getting off with him unknowingly; but now you do know I think you should stay clear for a bit which it seems like you're doing. If he does break up with his gf then it sucks for her but if you still want to pursue him go ahead.

However, while he remains somebody else's boyfriend he's a no go at the moment in my humble opinion...
Reply 3
Why would you want to be with him?

I dont think you are in the wrong if you didnt know he had a girlfriend.

But he knew he had a girlfriend, he kissed you knowingly, he could do exactly the same thing to you if you went out with him.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
What should I do?

Stop being a bitch?
:s-smilie: You can't really have you cake and eat it by carrying on talking to him. Now that you know, it would be best to stop talking, as that only helps getting more attached. And if you were his girlfriend, and found out about this, what would you want the other girl to do? Would you be 100% fine with him talking to someone he's obviously attracted to and was unfaithful with? :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
[INDENT]Stop being a bitch?[/INDENT]

How exactly is she the bitch when it is he who has a commitment to his girlfriend?! Talk about vilifying the female!
Reply 7
If such a thing as "The Sisterhood" exists, I'm pretty sure you might have broken the first commandment.
Reply 8
Original post by AyWill
How exactly is she the bitch when it is he who has a commitment to his girlfriend?! Talk about vilifying the female!

See if someone who you've already got off with does this to you;

and you know they're in a rocky relationship? And you keep seeing them and being close to them? You're being a bitch.
Reply 9
See if someone who you've already got off with does this to you;

You've completely lost me.
Reply 10
Original post by AyWill
You've completely lost me.

You've lost me by how you're misusing the quote function. Sort it or abort it.

Also, I think I've been crystal clear. For me.
Rule of thumb, as soon as you find out he has a girlfriend, rocky relationship or not, you back away. You back away like you're running for your life. That's to show yourself and his girlfriend some respect.

If he's in a rocky relationship he shouldn't be messing about because he's STILL in a relationship. It's not worth it.
Reply 12
You've lost me by how you're misusing the quote function. Sort it or abort it.

Also, I think I've been crystal clear. For me.

Wow, you're incredibly rude.
Reply 13
Original post by Strawberrycayk
Rule of thumb, as soon as you find out he has a girlfriend, rocky relationship or not, you back away. You back away like you're running for your life. That's to show yourself and his girlfriend some respect.

If he's in a rocky relationship he shouldn't be messing about because he's STILL in a relationship. It's not worth it.

Top woman.
Reply 14
This guy doesn't really like you for you. Think about it. He's acting out because of troubles in his relationship. I wouldn't recommend getting any more involved with him. You shouldn't be vilified. This has happened to me before and I personally lose respect for anyone who doesn't tell another woman that he has a girlfriend and expects you to be on board with that.

What should I do?

Honestly, I don't think this guy is worth going for. If he himself is unable to sort out his relationship problems and yet flirts around with another girl while he has a girlfriend, it's hard to say if he can remain loyal to you even if you get together.

My advice: Try to keep some distance. You don't want to be the one who breaks them up. If eventually they break up and he gets over it, maybe something will happen between you and him, and that's fine.

If you still want to keep talking to him/be friends, you have to know that in the end you might be the only one who end up hurt, and if you choose this, then I'd at least advise you not to flirt back with him/reject his advances.
Reply 16
thanks everyone for your advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending