The Student Room Group

Police checking licence status for named driver?

I've got a quote on a Toyota Yaris for £1400 (elephant.co.uk) fully comp with me as main driver, im 19, zero NCB been passed for a year or 2. I got 2 named drivers listed. My mum used to have a provisional long time ago, but never used it. Its probably about 18 years old. Do insurers check your licence dates and when you obtain them with DVLA or do they just leave it til when you have a claim?

I ask this because my uncle took out a policy, and they didnt even ask for a copy of the licence at all.

Its because my mum dont know if her provisional its still valid or not, because she reapplied for the photocard licence. Shall i just take out the policy with my mums details on there and then find out with DVLA later on

Say i got pulled over the police, and they check my details, thats all fine. But will they check the named driver details to? Even if they aint driving? Any responses appreciated, thanks
Original post by PataynaRolaay
I've got a quote on a Toyota Yaris for £1400 (elephant.co.uk) fully comp with me as main driver, im 19, zero NCB been passed for a year or 2. I got 2 named drivers listed. My mum used to have a provisional long time ago, but never used it. Its probably about 18 years old. Do insurers check your licence dates and when you obtain them with DVLA or do they just leave it til when you have a claim?

I ask this because my uncle took out a policy, and they didnt even ask for a copy of the licence at all.

Its because my mum dont know if her provisional its still valid or not, because she reapplied for the photocard licence. Shall i just take out the policy with my mums details on there and then find out with DVLA later on

Say i got pulled over the police, and they check my details, thats all fine. But will they check the named driver details to? Even if they aint driving? Any responses appreciated, thanks

I'm insured with Bell who are part of EUI (as are Elephant). They didn't check any of my licence details when I took out cover. I had an accident back in June, which wasn't my fault but I still had to go through my insurer so it classed as me claiming although didn't affect NCB etc. Anyway, to proceed with the claim they called DVLA and check my licence details - if I had one, when, points and that. My Mum is a named driver and they didn't check hers at all because its my policy not hers.
So the insurer won't check - no. Maybe they would if she was driving in an accident though.
I doubt the police would either unless she was the driver - they'd probably just check you.

It's your policy. Not anybody else's regardless of who is named you are the policy holder.

Hope this helps!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
When getting insurance they don't ask for your license details. If your mum has a provisional license then legally she isn't allowed to drive the car without a supervisor 'teaching' her to drive who is above 21yo and been driving for 3 years. So really she shouldn't be a named driver unless she is going to use the car for learning purposes? Is the purpose of her being a named driver to bring the costs down or will she be using it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student_2012
I'm insured with Bell who are part of EUI (as are Elephant). They didn't check any of my licence details when I took out cover. I had an accident back in June, which wasn't my fault but I still had to go through my insurer so it classed as me claiming although didn't affect NCB etc. Anyway, to proceed with the claim they called DVLA and check my licence details - if I had one, when, points and that. My Mum is a named driver and they didn't check hers at all because its my policy not hers.
So the insurer won't check - no. Maybe they would if she was driving in an accident though.
I doubt the police would either unless she was the driver - they'd probably just check you.

It's your policy. Not anybody else's regardless of who is named you are the policy holder.

Hope this helps!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thanks alot! Thats all i needed to know, and yes it helped alot. Cheers for that
Original post by atomicllama
When getting insurance they don't ask for your license details. If your mum has a provisional license then legally she isn't allowed to drive the car without a supervisor 'teaching' her to drive who is above 21yo and been driving for 3 years. So really she shouldn't be a named driver unless she is going to use the car for learning purposes? Is the purpose of her being a named driver to bring the costs down or will she be using it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah she will be driving it as a learner. My dad has his own policy which allows his to 'drive other cars third party', so he can supervise her

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending