The Student Room Group

Few questions about starting uni at 26 and above

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Michaelj
Why was it a mistake to move in the halls? And how did you come to the decision to join Glasgow? How did you get the subject of your choice?

I don't really like living in other peoples mess all the 18-20yr olds still think someone else will clean up their mess! I had to move to London as it the only place that does my course I'm studying at the national bakery school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by chefdave
Personally I think you're making a HUGE mistake. You've been in the Royal Navy for God's sake, 99% of employers are going to look upon that much more favourably upon that than some McHistory degree from a 2nd rate university. You've already said yourself that your grades weren't very good at school so it's clear you're no academic, this doesn't mean you lack intelligence of course it just means you're more practially minded, hence your C&G qualifications etc. If you're dead set on becoming a teacher and a degree is the only way to achieve this then I suppose you have no alternative, but I'd attempt to avoid uni at all costs. It's going to lumber you with huge debts, take 3 years out of your career, prevent you earning for 3 years (opportunity cost) and by the end of it you may be no better off in terms of employment prospects because every Tom, Dick and Harry holds a degwee this days. The cost/benefit analysis of uni no longer stacks up unless you've been to Eton and are planning to go to Oxbridge, i.e you're in the 1%.

In terms of value for money you can't beat the good old GCSE or A level. I took a GCSE as a private candidate a couple of years back to bolster my CV and it only cost me ~£100! It's such good value that I'm thinking of taking a couple more this year and possibly an A level (I only got 2 A levels at college which really bugs me) A private candidate is self taught you just use a local college in June as an exam centre, so you save loads in terms of time and money (some places offer maths and english for free i believe). If you click on the link and then click the top link you'll find the institutions nearest you who'll accept private candidates:

http://web.aqa.org.uk/search.php?q=private+candidates&btnG=&proxyreload=1&site=default_collection&client=default_frontend&proxystylesheet=default_frontend&output=xml_no_dtd

Hey there, thanks for the negativity, it's a breath of fresh air to get a different opinion. Yes, employers do look at life experience and such but I am stuch in menial jobs such as "security" or "cleaner" etc because I lack qualifications to get certain jobs. Sure I can get a job easily but I'd rather it be a job I like. A school won't hire a guy whose had no experience or training in teaching for example.

I haven't got the academic grades, no, but that was more through effort than my general skills. I dossed about in school and as a result, my grades suffered. I like to think, I am more intelligent than my grades and qualifcations give credit for... Maybe I am being over-confident, who knows?

Yes, I want a decent job and I am worried about joining university. If I was to join, it would set me back 3-5 years in life and make me skint. Rather than being 23, I'll be in my 30s... But I'll also have decent qualifcations to hopefully get a decent job.

I've spoken to my father today and he's equally as concerned as me. He doesn't wish me to do the medicine approach as he thinks I'll be in my mid-30's by the time I start work and I need very good grades to get a job. Part of me wants the "dr" title to my name. But I suppose I need to be more realistic and such. :/
Reply 22
Hey there, thanks for the negativity, it's a breath of fresh air to get a different opinion. Yes, employers do look at life experience and such but I am stuch in menial jobs such as "security" or "cleaner" etc because I lack qualifications to get certain jobs. Sure I can get a job easily but I'd rather it be a job I like. A school won't hire a guy whose had no experience or training in teaching for example.

I haven't got the academic grades, no, but that was more through effort than my general skills. I dossed about in school and as a result, my grades suffered. I like to think, I am more intelligent than my grades and qualifcations give credit for... Maybe I am being over-confident, who knows?

Yes, I want a decent job and I am worried about joining university. If I was to join, it would set me back 3-5 years in life and make me skint. Rather than being 23, I'll be in my 30s... But I'll also have decent qualifcations to hopefully get a decent job.

I've spoken to my father today and he's equally as concerned as me. He doesn't wish me to do the medicine approach as he thinks I'll be in my mid-30's by the time I start work and I need very good grades to get a job. Part of me wants the "dr" title to my name. But I suppose I need to be more realistic and such. :/

As you can probably tell I'm very anti-university because I don't feel that it offers value for money anymore. If you have a specific path in mind i.e a uni course that directly leads to a career (with uni being essential) then by all means go for it, but if there's any uncertainty about what you're going to be doing after uni then you should drop the idea imo. Keep applying to loads of jobs (lie on your CV if you must), get a trade or start your own business, do anything to increase your financial capital because it'll be very difficult to play catch-up in terms of housing, a family and savings when you hit 30 with bugger all to show for it. Uni is a big financial gamble now, it's not a ticket to easy riches so should be treated with extreme caution. Put it this way, if I had kids I'd only advise them to go if they were the cream of the crop academically. Average or slightly above average just doesn't cut it. I wouldn't go because I'm not smart enough to make it work for me, and because there are other more lucrative paths out there that don't cost £ten of thousands in fees and lost earnings.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by chefdave
As you can probably tell I'm very anti-university because I don't feel that it offers value for money anymore. If you have a specific path in mind i.e a uni course that directly leads to a career (with uni being essential) then by all means go for it, but if there's any uncertainty about what you're going to be doing after uni then you should drop the idea imo. Keep applying to loads of jobs (lie on your CV if you must), get a trade or start your own business, do anything to increase your financial capital because it'll be very difficult to play catch-up in terms of housing, a family and savings when you hit 30 with bugger all to show for it. Uni is a big financial gamble now, it's not a ticket to easy riches so should be treated with extreme caution. Put it this way, if I had kids I'd only advise them to go if they were the cream of the crop academically. Average or slightly above average just doesn't cut it. I wouldn't go because I'm not smart enough to make it work for me, and because there are other more lucrative paths out there that don't cost £ten of thousands in fees and lost earnings.

I have got a career path in mind... I've always enjoyed history so I thought, why not teach history and give a new perspective? You can make history sound fun but maths? Less so... I wouldn't plan on going to university as a way out of work. I plan to this career but it's also something I need to consider. What if I don't make the cut? I'd be ****ed, literally.

I've applied for lots of jobs and I've had success with the jobs I've applied for, in regards with interviews and such. The problem is, I strive for a decent career for myself and potential family in the future, I want to show myself as good. My CV is quite good and I blag my qualifications and such at interviews, proving I'm a hard learner etc. :tongue: I just wish they were qualifcations that I enjoyed rather than qualications I'm not interested in.

I also agree strongly that university is a choice you need to make right because if I make the wrong decision then it could ruin my life. I want a family and such but if I make the wrong choice then it may not happen...
(edited 11 years ago)
I am stuch in menial jobs such as "security" or "cleaner" etc because I lack qualifications to get certain jobs.

I haven't got the academic grades, no, but that was more through effort than my general skills. I dossed about in school and as a result, my grades suffered.

And you took the mick out of me for not going to Oxford? Double-standards, much?

With regards to uni, there are loads of mature students. Some in their 50's. Do it if that's what you want.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Pandabär
And you took the mick out of me for not going to Oxford? Double-standards, much?

You insulted me so I insulted you. My post in your thread wasn't meant literally you didn't go to Oxford... It's meant if you can't understand a basic post I made without jumping to conclusions and negging and flaming away then you lack reading skills.

And no I'm not literally in jobs like I mentioned. It was a bad example really... In the navy I was on 24k a year on the lowest rank, now I'm working autistic adults in a autistic college for about 20k a year. Ok the money isn't amazing but at least I'm striving for more. I have got the intelligence to go further, just in school I didn't try hard enough which I regret. The fact I got multiple qualifications proves I got potential.

PS: I'm glad I got a TSR stalker as well as many FB stalkers. Really makes me feel happy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Hey there, I recently posted this on the mature forum but nobody answered. I persume because nobody frequents them forums. :tongue:

I am currently 26 years old, so I suppose if I was to start university, I'd be either 27 or 28.

I did really bad in school, like REALLY bad. I didn't try whatsoever and just joked about. In the end I got C for english, D maths, C history, D art (and I think that was because the teacher liked me), 4 c's ICT, D science. I dropped out of A-levels after the first year because I found the freedom was making me lazy and I was doing awful.

10 years later and I've served the Royal Navy and I've just left. I got 3 BTECs in Fibre optics and city of guilds. Some other qualifications in various things (like other city of guilds, RTITB etc)... I find I'm a very hard learner now but I doubt that'd prove much me saying it.

I want to go to university to study some courses would my grades hinder me? I'd like to learn stuff but to go back and learn GCSE's and another 2 years of A-levels? Would it be possible to go to university at all? With a chance at a decent subject? (I know medicine and law are out of the question here... But anything decent? Like nurse?) Would it be possible to give references to start uni?

My main problem however is funding. How can I afford rent whilst studying at uni? I want a decent chance at a career here. Literally I wish I tried harder and school and I feel the navy has ruined my youth. I don't want to party with the other students. I just want to study and work hard. I suppose I'll have to move into student accomadation or share a house? I've been kinda happy with my independancy tbh.

I've got my heart set on either psychology or perhaps get a history degree and become a teacher? Psychology interests me and I love history as a hobby.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

You get housing benefit and your council tax paid as a student. You wouldn't have to move into halls, I know a few people who had their own flat when they were students; either a council one or a private landlord. You'll probably have to do an Access course which is a year or maybe a pre Access course (however this maybe unlikely as you already have GCSEs at grade C) which would be two years, but some degrees may give you a place as a mature student without this if you pass an assessment and/or prove you have relative experience which was the case for me. You're best looking into the entry requirements before you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

I honestly could have been reading about myself there (with the exception of the Navy). I am 27 and have just enrolled at the Open University. As it's been so long since I was in sixth Form I'm starting with an access module in October. It is the perfect start for anyone wanting to go back to studying. I have been working in a warehouse for the last few years and I know I can do so much more if I put my mind to it. Some people are just not mentally ready after leaving school or college but now I definitely am and I know it's the right thing to do.

As for the funding problem, providing you are not earning over £21,000 a year, it can be paid for if you are going to enroll onto a higher education course after this (such as a degree or degree with honors etc). I have done plenty of research on this and I know that I will pay back very little each month (once I'm earning over £21,000) so the risk is not that high. Considering what job I'm in at the moment I feel I have nothing to lose and am looking forward to starting my course.

Hope this help in your decision.
I currently did two years of a history degree and just recently decided to leave it as it was not what I thought it would be. I left home in Northern Ireland to travel to Liverpool (LJMU) to study a history degree. As a mature student myself, (25 when I started and now 27) I found first year to be fun and interesting and the modules were interesting also. Second year however, was a different ball game. I decided to choose a Japanese history module (biggest mistake I made), British Empire module (was terrible), Ireland, and an American politics module which was just okay. I did really well in all my assignments and managed to get 2.1 above though I started to get bored and p***ed off with the course to be honest. I had three exams to do as well in May which I had to defer as I thought it was all a bit too much to keep on top off. Ultimately, I have taken the decision not to continue on with the history degree as I personally hated it and with hindsight, should have did a degree more worthwhile. I'm thinking of applying for a social work degree for next September as I believe it will definitely be more rewarding than studying history! My advice, swerve the history mate!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending