The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Applied Youth and Community Work Question

Hello everyone,

As someone who's interested in joining the University of Manchester next year to study Applied Youth and Community Work I felt the need to ask - in the hope that someone on these forums are participating in the course, have completed the course or otherwise have information on the course - about the modules and, most notably, how many hours per week is devoted to lectures, seminars, tutorials, practical/placement and other such information etc.

Additionally, having attended the most recent Open Day and finding that the lecturers in question seemingly lacked any stand or presence in the Open Day, would it be advised that I attempt to get in touch with them in order to discuss the course and ask questions?

I'd be curious about setting up a one-to-one meeting with them, to see what the lecturers are like in-person, but I wouldn't want to distract them from their hectic schedule, especially at the start of the new year.
(edited 11 years ago)
The last I heard it was under threat of closure. However, I don't know the outcome of the decision on it, so you'd do well to investigate further.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
The last I heard it was under threat of closure. However, I don't know the outcome of the decision on it, so you'd do well to investigate further.

:eek:

Thanks. Rather shocked and upset by that, but I'll be sure to investigate further and try to find out more. Would certainly be a shame if this were to go ahead, as Manchester's one of the top universities running such a course, and I would hate to think my high A-Level results would go to waste at a university with lower standards and quality. :s-smilie:

It especially shocks me in that Youth Work, unlike more traditional courses, links directly to a job which is in no short supply or lack of demand at the end of it - hence, my own appeal to the course.

I understand you're just the messenger (and I thank you for passing on the message), but I see it as somewhat absurd, and hope the decision is eventually repealed. :frown:
Original post by Etular
x

I agree!

I did a bit more digging, and found this article - it refers to the decision having already been made and no new students being recruited after 2012. http://mancunion.com/2012/10/04/students-protest-course-cutting/ However, the course appears on UCAS 2013 so it's all a bit ambiguous.

Probably best to email the department!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending