The Student Room Group

how do you revise for a german gcse?

i'm in year 11 and i have my mocks coming up pretty soon. i just don't know how you revise for german. do you just memorise german words and the grammar or is there another way? i'm predicted an A* and i would like to achieve it. any advice would be good. thank you.
Reply 1
I'm not taking German, but from the top of my head:

- Learn the vocab required.
- Practice reading German articles/books?
- Make sure you're familiar with common phrases.
- Learn the grammar/punctuation style.

These are some I just thought off on the spot :smile:

Hope I helped.
I prepared an aural for each topic, then recorded myself reading them, put them on my iPod and went for a long walk whilst listening to them - it works. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Just do loads of past papers!

Reply 4
Original post by lizardsmithy:)
I prepared an aural for each topic, then recorded myself reading them, put them on my iPod and went for a long walk whilst listening to them - it works. :smile:

That is actually, quite brilliant.
Original post by tohaaaa
That is actually, quite brilliant.

Why Thankyou! :wink:
Original post by dobrev04
i'm in year 11 and i have my mocks coming up pretty soon. i just don't know how you revise for german. do you just memorise german words and the grammar or is there another way? i'm predicted an A* and i would like to achieve it. any advice would be good. thank you.

What exam board are you with? I did GCSE german and i loved it so much that I'm doing it for A level now :smile:
Reply 7
Past papers and vocab, my friend.
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
What exam board are you with? I did GCSE german and i loved it so much that I'm doing it for A level now :smile:

WJEC :smile:
WJEC :smile:

Oh I did edexcel, do WJEC give you a list of all the vocab you need to know for the exam?
Oh I did edexcel, do WJEC give you a list of all the vocab you need to know for the exam?

no but we are given 50 pages of vocab. and each week we are tested 15 words from it, does that count?
no but we are given 50 pages of vocab. and each week we are tested 15 words from it, does that count?

50 pages of vocab! Has your teacher lost it?
Actually on second thoughts does the vocab list consist of really simple words like 'ist' and 'und'.
50 pages of vocab! Has your teacher lost it?
Actually on second thoughts does the vocab list consist of really simple words like 'ist' and 'und'.

yeah but it has really long words in it as well! it's alphabetical and categorised into headings like 'Personal and social life'. i go to a grammar school btw so no my teacher hasn't lost it, haha :biggrin:
yeah but it has really long words in it as well! it's alphabetical and categorised into headings like 'Personal and social life'. i go to a grammar school btw so no my teacher hasn't lost it, haha :biggrin:

Yh same i go to a grammer school, now sixth form, as well. Just make sure you know all the words. Good luck :smile:
Yh same i go to a grammer school, now sixth form, as well. Just make sure you know all the words. Good luck :smile:

i will! thank you! and good luck with sixth form! :biggrin:
Reply 15
I did past papers and made a note of any unfamiliar words I came across while doing them - really helped me when I did my gcse last year and I got an A* :-) and then I used the vocab list to learn a few more words! Make sure you know time phrases really well - they come up a lot

Quick Reply

Latest