The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Biomedical Sciences 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Lowkey101
Thank you :smile: yeah i would deffo recommend going to UCL! Lol the food was the main reason i went tbh :L haha

I've firmed UCL now :biggrin: just need to get the grades. haha who could say no to free food. Did you have to travel far?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 121
Original post by earthtokaz
I've firmed UCL now :biggrin: just need to get the grades. haha who could say no to free food. Did you have to travel far?

Good luck! :smile: nope, UCL is just a short train journey from Luton! You?
anyone going lincoln way??
Reply 123
I have an offer from UCL , sheffield and Durham but I really dont know what to choose.

With UCL the course seems amazing and from the open day I think it would give me the greatest chance of getting work experience. But the cost of living is sooo expensive and I don't think I would like living in a big city.

Durham is an accredited course but I didn't go to the open day so don't know what its like.

Sheffield is also really good. I really like the human dissection in the 2nd year. The cost of living is cheap and it also has a great student union.

I think I'm going to firm sheffield but still can't 100% make up my mind. How much would an non-accredited course restrict future careers?
Do you think I should stick with sheffield or choose one of the others and why?
Original post by 84986em
I have an offer from UCL , sheffield and Durham but I really dont know what to choose.

With UCL the course seems amazing and from the open day I think it would give me the greatest chance of getting work experience. But the cost of living is sooo expensive and I don't think I would like living in a big city.

Durham is an accredited course but I didn't go to the open day so don't know what its like.

Sheffield is also really good. I really like the human dissection in the 2nd year. The cost of living is cheap and it also has a great student union.

I think I'm going to firm sheffield but still can't 100% make up my mind. How much would an non-accredited course restrict future careers?
Do you think I should stick with sheffield or choose one of the others and why?

A non-accredited course will restrict you from applying to a job as a biomedical scientist in the NHS. Now, this is one job out of the million different things you can do with your life, so don't let that put you off - unless you know for a fact you want to do this.

Accredited courses follow a strict syllabus, whereas at somewhere like UCL you have a massive amount of choice. I would recommend not doing an accredited course, as you will gain far more by not doing it.

I can speak regarding UCL - it is easily one the best research institutes in the UK. Just read some health news and you'll see about 70% of them say "research carried out at UCL...", and you get taught by the very people who are involved in it. Dissections may be attractive, however we do prosections in first and second year, and you can choose to do dissections in third year if you wish. UCL, probably more than other unis, will also let you have a lot of choice in regards to the modules you wish to take.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 125
Original post by Lowkey101
Good luck! :smile: nope, UCL is just a short train journey from Luton! You?

Thanks. From Manchester :smile: its just over 2 hours on the train but I came down the night before so I don't have to rush in the morning and its cheaper.
Reply 126
Anyone doing Biomedical Science at LJMU message me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 127
Original post by Rhughes11
Anyone doing Biomedical Science at LJMU message me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, it's not very clear from the thread title but this is actually in the UCL forum, so you might not get many answers here :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 128
Hey, Im rejected by all med schools so I will be accepting my offer from UCL. I can't wait to go :smile: Does anyone else know if they're firming UCL or not?
Reply 129
Hey there what is the standard offer people are receiving?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 130
Original post by doctor92
Hey, Im rejected by all med schools so I will be accepting my offer from UCL. I can't wait to go :smile: Does anyone else know if they're firming UCL or not?

Are you really sure you're gonna do this? Why not take a gap year and do something worthwhile with it? Go volunteering abroad for a few months (if you have the money), work for a few more, travel to meet new people etc., and you can really boost your application next year as well as your speaking skills (for interviews later on). A whole year of personal enrichment instead of three years wasting your time is basically my argument. If you're keen and determined enough to be a doctor, don't waste your time. I'm rejected from all my medical schools and even though I have an offer from UCL like you, I realized that biomed isn't going to do me any good in the end.

Just my opinion anyway. I'm taking a gap year myself. And though this doesn't guarantee a place next year, I am bound to have an edge over many other applicants.
Reply 131
Original post by drplease
Hey there what is the standard offer people are receiving?

AAA, including Biology and Chemistry
Reply 132
Original post by mark8
Are you really sure you're gonna do this? Why not take a gap year and do something worthwhile with it? Go volunteering abroad for a few months (if you have the money), work for a few more, travel to meet new people etc., and you can really boost your application next year as well as your speaking skills (for interviews later on). A whole year of personal enrichment instead of three years wasting your time is basically my argument. If you're keen and determined enough to be a doctor, don't waste your time. I'm rejected from all my medical schools and even though I have an offer from UCL like you, I realized that biomed isn't going to do me any good in the end.

Just my opinion anyway. I'm taking a gap year myself. And though this doesn't guarantee a place next year, I am bound to have an edge over many other applicants.

Hey! thanks for your concern & help :smile: I am already in my gap year and I am an international student and where I live I don't have any opportunity to gain good work experience etc. I had an offer last year and missed it. this year I had none. and I am turning 21 this year. and I hope to graduate before I am 30 lol :biggrin: I am a bit tired of trying and failing. :smile: Good luck to you tho! I hope you will make it at the end:smile:
Reply 133
Original post by Waterstorm
Good luck with your application guys, I'm a final year biomed - so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I am gonna enrol to UCL in two weeks! soo excited! For the first year, what is the timetable like? Are there any advice in choosing the right modules that are easier to get good grades?

Cheers!
Ny1doin biomedical science at aston ths year
Original post by keronikan
I am gonna enrol to UCL in two weeks! soo excited! For the first year, what is the timetable like? Are there any advice in choosing the right modules that are easier to get good grades?

Cheers!

From what I remember, the first term is a bit intense in terms of the number of modules you're doing, but there's less in the second term. It's perfectly fine though :smile: And you don't choose modules in the first year, but you do in the second and third. See what you enjoy the most and get to know some second years to ask them what they/their friends are finding easiest/hardest in the year above you so you can make the best choice that way.
Hi
Anybody doing/done biomedical science at university with a lvl 3 btec extended diploma in applied science
Just want to know how difficult you found it
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 137
Hi,
I've applied for Dentistry with Biomed at UCL as my back up. I applied on the 14th October yet I havent reveived an offer which is making me worried :/
hi i have an interview at university of manchester next week..and i am a little worried dont know what to expect? if they ask me why i want to study the subject and why at their university what shall i say? i have already written everything in my personal statement what else can i say? lol could someone help who has already had an interview..:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending