The Student Room Group

Do you regret any of your A Level Options?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lauraaaaa
I'm enjoying Psychology quite a bit actually, research methods not so much though!

well be glad you are enjoying it! Doesn't change the fact it has a poor reputation amongst universities and is considered easy by many students too.

I found AS relatively interesting...but A2 was so repetetive.... also the amount of studies etc you have to know is ridiculous.
Original post by KAB1010101
well be glad you are enjoying it! Doesn't change the fact it has a poor reputation amongst universities and is considered easy by many students too.

I found AS relatively interesting...but A2 was so repetetive.... also the amount of studies etc you have to know is ridiculous.

Alright, no need to be like that.
Original post by lauraaaaa
Alright, no need to be like that.

Ignore him, psychology isn't THE most respected but some unis place it with the sciences :rolleyes:

:spank: that :badger:
Reply 283
Should've picked Chemistry instead of English at AS, and then carried that on to A2 so that I'd have four rather than three.
English Lit! It's so boring and long-winded. But I really want to do law (I'm doing AS rn) and I didn't want to do history (don't ask). One of my teachers is excellent and very enthusiastic, and those are the lessons I enjoy, but the other teacher is rude, boring and lazy. I put my hand up all the time and she never picks me unless I'm the only person; the one time I didn't have an answer she picked on me. She also puts me/us down constantly, in a very subtle but mean way, by saying that our interpretations or analyses of a part in a poem "are wrong" - which surely, as English lit has no real answers, is not possible, as it could be anything? Anyway. I got an A* in both lit and lang at GCSE and really loved it, but this poetry teacher is killing my love for English slowly but surely. I'm doing well for the non-poetry side, but I haven't even had a marked essay given back to me by my crappy poetry teacher, so I don't even know if I'm doing well or not.

On the other hand, I'm also doing Chemistry which is HARD but I love it :s-smilie: It's so interesting and I don't mind getting things wrong, because all the chemistry teachers at my school are really good and ready to help me whenever. Wish my poetry teacher was like that :unimpressed:
History; its not a bad subject: as the skills you gain are really useful, I take it as one of my A2's and I do find it interesting as well as challenging. But I should have taken politics instead as I have a personal interest in politics which meant I have an A level politics understanding of UK and US political systems (which meant last year I was actually helping my friend with his politics homework's despite not doing it). While its not too bad as many of the skills you learn are similar, politics would have made my life easier as I basically knew most of the content and consequently would have likely achieved higher than in history.

In summary if you have a particular extracurricular interest in a subject already consider that subject strongly as the work will be somewhat easier and it will not seem such a chore to do.
Reply 286
Original post by JWz
I do enjoy Maths, Econ and Geog but I think I would be better off applying for uni with FM - I'm applying for Maths and Econ btw.

Are you currently doing AS or A2?

i'm doing AS so only just started, further maths may look better but do what you enjoy!
Reply 287
Original post by Rheannan
i'm doing AS so only just started, further maths may look better but do what you enjoy!

Ah, I'm in A2 now anyway so it's way too late. Got most of the offers I want for unis anyway so it's fine. Good luck in your exams!
Reply 288
Original post by JWz
Ah, I'm in A2 now anyway so it's way too late. Got most of the offers I want for unis anyway so it's fine. Good luck in your exams!

ah well done! thanks!
I deeply regret taking economics…(actually it's not my own choice, the school forced every grade 10 student to pick up economics as "this would be beneficial for your future applications!")Our eco teacher is pretty bad,in my AS year,we still have 25% content unfinished one month before the exam. So not surprisingly I got a b(75%). Because I wanted to major in economics or finance at that time (I thought I could earn lots of money after graduation...at least that was what films and novels had told me...naive),I decided to resit my AS this summer,and managed to get an a(87%).
But things have changed:with the struggles of economics I realized I actually hated this subject… English is not my first language, plus that I had never really systematically study subjects like economics before (I am Chinese and didn't study IGCSEs before Alevel). So this is a total disaster..... Now I want to major in computer science and drop out A2 economics. But my mom said this idea sucks...after putting so many efforts into it I should somehow stick with it and at least get an A in A2.
I partly agree with her,as I did do a lot of work for it, giving up now doesn't look wise, not to mention I have paid almost 2000£ for my extra tuition fee.. Plus my new AS grade is not so bad.. seems an A would be within reach. However the problem is every time I look at my economics papers I feel nauseous and want to scream. I really don't care about the argument between K and monetarists and I also don't want to know how the hell governments would deal with market failure! I am not interesting in it at all!!! ***
I just sat there wishing I have dropped it in my first year,and took Spanish instead! I will never be tired of studying languages, as they have more practical uses and different styles, which is quite attractive. I think it would be great to pick Spanish this year and study it to AS level (although I don't know how much this would weigh in uni application...languages are seen as soft alevels right? But whatever I will have it because it is fun!) and drop out A2 economics, using math physics further math and AS Spanish + economics to apply. (that is a strange combination though) And then hopefully I could pay the 2000£ back to my mom as quickly as I can.....maybe after finishing my Phd degree?
I regret all of my options so far, and I'm only 4 weeks in. I've dropped one of them already! :tongue: I was expecting the demonised a level "jump" to mean that the work was going to require much more actual understanding, rather than just learning the contents of a revision guide. It seems like I was wrong. :s-smilie:

However, my experience with French (which I've now dropped) was that the only more demanding aspect was the sheer volume of content we were expected to learn - I'm talking 30 words/ phrases and 30 conjugations which were tested every 2 days. I knew i was only cramming and that I would not remember the things I had "learnt" by the time I sit my exams next year, It felt like I was wasting huge amounts of time and was destined to get a U :frown:

It's the sciences which are giving me the most grief. So far I regret both bio and chem. :frown: As my teacher lovingly pointed out, we all came into the class with 1 of 3 grades at gcse: A*, A or B. It seems the way they discriminate between these grades, in terms of rewarding A level grades, is not based on our level of understanding, but on pedantry...Think the GCSE biology mark schemes on Ritalin. Don't even get me started on "error carried forward"...

My teachers demand that definitions are learnt word for word rather than understood - I'm growing to hate chemistry because of this. I'd say don't fear the jump in understanding required, as long as you're alright at maths and are willing to put in some work. I think it depends on the person, but it seems to me that it was slightly exaggerated. :tongue: The hard part is learning a large volume of information, and expressing it exactly as the exam board wants it expressed. :colonhash:

Can't believe I'm saying this, but part of me wishes i went for essay subjects! :p:D
Economics :/
Don't find it interesting so far, but I'm only three weeks in so...
Reply 292
Biology, way too much revision.

Quick Reply

Latest