The Student Room Group

Imperial College Postgraduate Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by abha412
Still waiting :confused:
However, got a mail asking me to let them know if I don't want to be considered for the Santander scholarships!

They have been sending those scholarship emails to everyone.

Waiting for the Mathematics Department here. I called them yesterday and they said that for PG admissions it takes a minimum of 8 weeks. It has been 7 weeks to the day here. So I'm expecting something (rejection) this coming week.
Reply 61
Original post by alishaikha

Waiting for the Mathematics Department here. I called them yesterday and they said that for PG admissions it takes a minimum of 8 weeks. It has been 7 weeks to the day here. So I'm expecting something (rejection) this coming week.

7 weeks from the time your references have been processed or from the time you submit your app?
Reply 62
Original post by abha412
Still waiting :confused:
However, got a mail asking me to let them know if I don't want to be considered for the Santander scholarships!

yup same with me. Do you know of anyone who has got rejected so far?
Reply 63
Original post by iong
yup same with me. Do you know of anyone who has got rejected so far?

Haven't heard of rejections either (from the Business School). I expect most decisions to be conveyed between Feb 1 and 11 (for all completed applications received by Jan 14). This is what they have mentioned in their site.
Reply 64

Why think of a rejection before it comes? :smile:
Any other offers / back-up?
Reply 65
Haven't applied yet, will be applying in the next week. Panicking that I left it for too late, any advice.
Reply 66
Original post by abha412
Haven't heard of rejections either (from the Business School). I expect most decisions to be conveyed between Feb 1 and 11 (for all completed applications received by Jan 14). This is what they have mentioned in their site.

Im keeping my fingers crossed on this one! when did you submit your application btw?
Reply 67
Original post by iong
7 weeks from the time your references have been processed or from the time you submit your app?

7 week from the time I submitted my app. I did it on the first day, hours after it started. 5 weeks from the time my references were processed.

This is excluding the winter break.

What I gathered on the phone was that it was 8 week from the time you submit your application, becasue she asked me what my application date was.

Original post by abha412
Why think of a rejection before it comes? :smile:
Any other offers / back-up?

Because I applied for MSc Pure Mathematics, and I have a Business Administration background :P

Well a few offers but my best would be Manchester right now. Waiting on King's, they have given me an essay to write so will submit that ASAP and hope to get that. What's your situation?
Reply 68

What I gathered on the phone was that it was 8 week from the time you submit your application, becasue she asked me what my application date was.

Well a few offers but my best would be Manchester right now. Waiting on King's,.. What's your situation?

Oh, I am close then! Applied on Nov 28.
Have already paid the deposit at Warwick (for F&E); Had an Offer from Cass too but chose Warwick over it. Not sure if I should prefer Imperial over Warwick.
Any comparison / views appreciated.
Reply 69
Original post by dkdeath
Haven't applied yet, will be applying in the next week. Panicking that I left it for too late, any advice.

Can't go back in time; Apply asap, and hope for the Best. Keep a couple of back-up choices too.
Reply 70
Original post by abha412
Oh, I am close then! Applied on Nov 28.
Have already paid the deposit at Warwick (for F&E); Had an Offer from Cass too but chose Warwick over it. Not sure if I should prefer Imperial over Warwick.
Any comparison / views appreciated.

I'd say take my advice very lightly.

I'd pick Imperial over Warwick within in a blink of an eye, mainly becasue Imperial is way up there in terms of liking by employers (my main (only) basis of selection).

Warwick over Cass is totally understandable. I hope that Warwick deposit is refundable?

BTW, have you ever heard of someone from a Business background getting into a Maths course?
Reply 71
I'd say take my advice very lightly.

I'd pick Imperial over Warwick within in a blink of an eye, mainly becasue Imperial is way up there in terms of liking by employers (my main (only) basis of selection).

Warwick over Cass is totally understandable. I hope that Warwick deposit is refundable?

BTW, have you ever heard of someone from a Business background getting into a Maths course?

Thanks. I heard Warwick (Finance related) programs are also strong in placements. Maybe Imperial also has the London edge. The deposit (1k) is not refundable, but then I had no choice. I wanted a back-up. I didn't foresee that Warwick would make an offer within 10 days!
On your query, frankly haven't heard people with Business Study background moving to Pure Math program, though have come across some moving to highly quantitative applied programs. Good Luck.
Reply 72
Original post by abha412
Thanks. I heard Warwick (Finance related) programs are also strong in placements. Maybe Imperial also has the London edge. The deposit (1k) is not refundable, but then I had no choice. I wanted a back-up. I didn't foresee that Warwick would make an offer within 10 days!
On your query, frankly haven't heard people with Business Study background moving to Pure Math program, though have come across some moving to highly quantitative applied programs. Good Luck.

Yes, it would be the London edge. 10 days in quite insane I must say!

Needless to say Warwick is impeccable and yes the placement rate for thier Finance related course is on the high side too. So really nothing to worry about, honestly you're in a situaton where you can't go wrong :smile:

Thanks. I hope so, really hoping on it (with the super limted hope I have :tongue:).
Original post by virtsou
The only thing i know is the size of the previous class. It would be similar this year. Giving that the top business schools for the same program receive about 400-500 applications (370 i think for Cambridge about 480 for LSE) i speculate tha the same number of applicants has the imperial. BUT if the students last year were 169 the offers are most of the times 15-20% more. Do about 215 students i think. I suppose that the ratio of applicants and offers is about 1:2,5
But this is only a speculation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi vistou,
I applied for msc innovation entrepreneurship management at the same time as you did. My friends who studied there told me, these two course are almost the same (at least 80% are same). the reason why they set up the two courses mainly because they want money! as you see, the number of previous students are 169, and 73 for Msc innovation management. which never means Innovation management is more competitive than Msc management. since they belong to same department and almost the same course, they were expecting the same number of students for each course. hence 73 only means they did not receive that much students applying for the course, also meaning competitiveness is even less.

My background is bad enough, middle ranked Uni. in the UK, my average scores for past two years was 59.98!!! from 47 to 80! only the edge of 2:1. but predicted ending up with 2:1. a lot of work experience within 2 years. But they said I am still entitled to apply for the course! I guess both of us would be fine. :smile:
Reply 74
i really hope so, mainly because imperial is my first choice...
do you know about the interview? is it possible to ask your friend about the questions?
Original post by virtsou
i really hope so, mainly because imperial is my first choice...
do you know about the interview? is it possible to ask your friend about the questions?

It veries, from why imperial to some futher details you have mentioned from your personal statement & career questions.

But he told me Imperial tended to ask some "updated" issues about current society.
Reply 76
Oh i see. Im anxious even without to know if they will invite me LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Hey guys,

I've also applied to MSc Finance. Application sent on the 23rd of November and no answer yet. Have they already registered your references? They approved my references on the 7th of December and after that haven't approved any of my other items. Is this the same for you? Btw, know the person who has already received an offer. Hope they have already given rejections and now will start to give out offers :wink:
Reply 78
I know a person that already received rejection too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Original post by Jarver
Hey guys,

I've also applied to MSc Finance. Application sent on the 23rd of November and no answer yet. Have they already registered your references? They approved my references on the 7th of December and after that haven't approved any of my other items. Is this the same for you?

Yes, only the Refs have been registered. There is no detail about the other items. BTW, what was the condition for the offer made to your friend?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending