The Student Room Group

Girls initiating

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Lucia.
Of course.

Ok if your dropping hints and he still doesn't ask then he's probably a poosy to be honest.
Reply 41
Original post by Jimbo1234
An insecure guy simply means that he will work harder to stay in the relationship.
An insecure girl however just gives up trying.

Also why don't you approach guys? You claim you could, but if you never have then how do you know? :confused:

Yes I have. I've asked guys out, I've propositioned guys, I've initiated physical contact...whatever it is, I've done it. But romantically I prefer to be chased. I prefer the man to be more dominant in the relationship. It's what turns me on.

Not true. Ask someone who's been in a relationship with an insecure guy. Any woman should avoid them like the plague. They suck away your self-esteem too. That's what happens to anyone who dates an insecure person.
Reply 42
Original post by Dark Horse
Ok if your dropping hints and he still doesn't ask then he's probably a poosy to be honest.

Exactly. That's what I meant when I said I don't ask guys out. Because if I drop enough hints and he still doesn't then he either doesn't like me (which is cool by me :smile: ) or he can't muster up the courage. Neither situations work for me.

Incidentally, I actually have social anxiety and if I can muster up the courage to do that, then a guy should be able to do that.
Reply 43
I find the whole deal with playing games & getting people to chase you very frustrating so I would happily make the first move. Having said that though, I would need some indication that the guy is interested in me as well because like most people, I would HATE to get rejected.

But yeah, I don't see the point in just leaving it to the guy or one waiting for the other to make the first move. If you know you both like each other then what's the point in messing around!
Reply 44
Original post by Lucia.
Exactly. That's what I meant when I said I don't ask guys out. Because if I drop enough hints and he still doesn't then he either doesn't like me (which is cool by me :smile: ) or he can't muster up the courage. Neither situations work for me.

Incidentally, I actually have social anxiety and if I can muster up the courage to do that, then a guy should be able to do that.

I used to have that up until Year 9, and it sort of just tapered off and disappeared after that. But yeah, if I ever put myself out there and got nothing back it would frustrate me to no end, lol.
Reply 45
Well I wouldn't call it game playing because to me it isn't a game. I'm just being myself and I'm a more submissive person anyway. Heterosexual attraction is based on polarity. Men are attracted to feminine energy, the 'receiving' energy which they can't tap into or read as well as more masculine 'giving' energy. That might sound like hocus pocus, but hear me out on this.

If I act on my receiving energy, it's a position of power. I certainly have more power doing that than by chasing after a man when I'm unsure of his interest. If a guy is interested and he calls me, I call him back enthusiastically. If he asks me on a date, then I accept enthusiastically. No game playing there - just responding like for like. So if he interested or hasn't made that clear, then I don't act as if he is. If he doesn't call, then I don't call because there's no sign of any interest on his part.
Reply 46
Original post by Dark Horse
I used to have that up until Year 9, and it sort of just tapered off and disappeared after that. But yeah, if I ever put myself out there and got nothing back it would frustrate me to no end, lol.

Yeah I actually really sympathise with guys who find it difficult to find the courage to ask a girl out. However I think if they get over that hump, then they feel almost endorsed as a man and they come to dating with more confidence. I mean I've had to get over not being able to initiate conversation with men and learning how to flirt and look more appealing which is just as hard but in a different way to what men experience. It's hard when you get rejected, but with the right perspective it can actually be seen in a more positive light I think. :smile: When I was more insecure and found it harder to initiate conversation, I'd attract guys who were just like me. Now I'm more confident, I want to get to know guys at least on the same level. I don't think it'd be very dignifying for a guy to be with a woman who's almost like a mother figure anyway...
Reply 47
Original post by Millie228
On TSR, guys will say they'd love girls to initiate (because they are too shy to do it themselves). Some would love it happening (as it might be their only chance of a date if they never approach themselves), but for a lot of men it will come off as desperate, even on a subconscious level. Confidence is the MOST important attribute to attract women, and if a man doesn't learn to approach and initiate contact with women, he'll never develop the confidence he needs.

IRL, most girls will continue to let guys initiate and they do so wisely. I personally would never walk up to a guy in a bar or ask for a phone number. I follow this: http://www.therulesrevisited.com/2011/09/dont-initiate-contact.html (Which is written by a guy btw. He is probably comfortable stating it outright because he doesn't have problems approaching women).

A club or bar is a gender-polarised environment because it is a meat market and everyone knows this. I would not expect a woman to approach someone she doesn't know in such a context. I think we are probably talking more about real-life situations where people already know each other for at least a bit before trying to hump each other.

In this case, it's simple, if you fancy someone, just flirt with them and ask them out, life's REALLY too short for any buggering around.
Reply 48
Original post by Lucia.
Yeah I actually really sympathise with guys who find it difficult to find the courage to ask a girl out. However I think if they get over that hump, then they feel almost endorsed as a man and they come to dating with more confidence. I mean I've had to get over not being able to initiate conversation with men and learning how to flirt and look more appealing which is just as hard but in a different way to what men experience. It's hard when you get rejected, but with the right perspective it can actually be seen in a more positive light I think. :smile: When I was more insecure and found it harder to initiate conversation, I'd attract guys who were just like me. Now I'm more confident, I want to get to know guys at least on the same level. I don't think it'd be very dignifying for a guy to be with a woman who's almost like a mother figure anyway...

You're right about that. I recently had a brush with a girl who was extremely bossy. It was quite sexy when I first met her. I thought maybe she's just confident, independent and really outspoken. But there was a little more to it than that, lol.
Original post by Journeyzap
On many websites it seems to state that males should always do any initiating (e.g. showing interest/asking out on first dates/getting in contact), and that women who initiate may put off men by being forward or whatever.

However, in real life most of my male friends say they would actually wish girls took the first step more often. Is this actually true (are there instances where girls taking the first step has helped/made a man more interested in her), or just said because they want to make less effort, but actually if it happened, you would probably not like the girl?

You do realise girls could just click "View poll results", and instead by voting, they have changed the poll results due to 30% of participants being girls and voting for that option, which changes the percentages for the other 3 options.
Original post by Journeyzap
On many websites it seems to state that males should always do any initiating (e.g. showing interest/asking out on first dates/getting in contact), and that women who initiate may put off men by being forward or whatever.

However, in real life most of my male friends say they would actually wish girls took the first step more often. Is this actually true (are there instances where girls taking the first step has helped/made a man more interested in her), or just said because they want to make less effort, but actually if it happened, you would probably not like the girl?

A man is a dog and he would hunt down anything he gets..have heard that in movies?? its true babes!!
Reply 51
Original post by ThatPerson
You do realise girls could just click "View poll results", and instead by voting, they have changed the poll results due to 30% of participants being girls and voting for that option, which changes the percentages for the other 3 options.

It's easier to vote than to have to click on that each time, and they may be compelled to vote thinking 'like' a male, which would skew poll results as you would not directly know that.

Also, we're on a student website, I'm sure we can all figure it out.

So far, 89 + 13 + 0 = 102 male votes.

87,25% males would be more interested in a girl which initiated, and 12,75% would be indifferent. 0% would be less interested.
why not?
Reply 53
Original post by Millie228
On TSR, guys will say they'd love girls to initiate (because they are too shy to do it themselves). Some would love it happening (as it might be their only chance of a date if they never approach themselves), but for a lot of men it will come off as desperate, even on a subconscious level. Confidence is the MOST important attribute to attract women, and if a man doesn't learn to approach and initiate contact with women, he'll never develop the confidence he needs.

IRL, most girls will continue to let guys initiate and they do so wisely. I personally would never walk up to a guy in a bar or ask for a phone number. I follow this: http://www.therulesrevisited.com/2011/09/dont-initiate-contact.html (Which is written by a guy btw. He is probably comfortable stating it outright because he doesn't have problems approaching women).

I think 92:0 is a fairly strong vote of confidence against you.
Original post by Lucia.
I get what you guys are saying. But why should I ask a guy out? Sorry, but that's not my responsibility. If I liked a guy enough, I would. But I also wouldn't be interested in a guy who wouldn't ask me out.

Men do like initiating but only if they are interested in the woman. I'm not prepared to put my dignity out for the wolves.

I mean telling women to initiate is like telling women not to wear make-up 'cause guys say they like it. Yet if a women were to do that, she'd get less attention. Likewise men say they like it when a woman initiates but it actually happened it wouldn't affect their level of interest. If it makes no difference and doesn't put them off or make them more interested, then why do that? Why make that extra effort for a man? I've got better things to do with my spare time then go around chasing after some guy's affections. Who's to say he's anything special?

Replace every 'women', with 'men'.
Replace every 'guy', with 'girl'.
Replace every 'he', with 'she'.
What do we have?

Why hold such strong traditional sexist views? :h:
omg cant believe im the first person to vote for :
I’m a guy, and I think it would make me less interested in a girl if she initiated

Girls initiating is BORING !!!!! :smile: takes the fun out of things
I don't mind initiating, but tend to find that sitting back and letting them do all the work gets better results. I hate making an effort and having it taken for granted; it upsets me. So I just wait for them to contact me and try not to go mad in the process.
Reply 57
Original post by Steezy
OK, I was out with my GF and her friends at a club in London, I was dressed quite smart as it was her friend's bday. So my GF and her friends were drunkenly talking at the table and I was kind of awkwardly standing close holding my GF's coat, not knowing what to do. So a girl came up to me, tapped me on the shoulder and asked... "My friend over there wanted to know if you're gay"... I laughed and was like "no, why do I look gay", getting all self conscious. She said Oh right, Ok are you single? I said "no, that's my GF there", Then she said "So you're not gay and you've got a GF" I said yes. She basically asked if I was gay like 3 times whilst also asking if I was single.. I got really confused and self conscious and kept saying "no, that's my GF". So then she hugged me really tight and gave me a long kiss on the cheek.

Looking back I should've been able to work out what was going on but I later told my GF what happened cos I was really self conscious that I looked gay. She explained that actually I was being chatted up (I didn't tell her about the kiss & hug cos she would've got pissed).

Similar thing happened to me, but in my example I was single. To make it more confusing not only did the lass approach me but so did her gay mate..

Took me some time but later on I realised that either would have gone home with me depending on my answer. A poor 'technique' to initiate conversation and show interest in a bloke, it just left me confused and bewildered until it was too late.
Reply 58
Original post by freeurmind
omg cant believe im the first person to vote for :
I’m a guy, and I think it would make me less interested in a girl if she initiated

Girls initiating is BORING !!!!! :smile: takes the fun out of things

A girl initiating whilst retaining a slight bit of subtleness in her approach is by far more appealing. For one it shows she has confidence but not smuggness, an incredibly attractive characteristic, and it's a breath of fresh air from the normal..

There is nothing worse than having to put 100% effort in to the initiation and the subsequent encounters for your efforts to give no reward, that is what I'd call boring.
(edited 11 years ago)
I can see why some people would be put off - they probably think the girl is just messing with them and making fun of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending