The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tegankemp
When I visited Bristol, the Uni was essentially a street of buildings with various departments. Is there one central area that I missed somewhere? Maybe with cafes or a student union?

It's quite spread over the city (most things will be in a 5 - 10 minute walking distance max from one another). There isn't really a single central area, there are popular spots dotted around the campus. So for example the Cafe/Atrium in the Merchant Venturers Building is pretty popular with engineering students, the ASS (arts and social sciences library) is quite popular with a lot of arts and social sciences students (pretty sure it has a cafe/social space downstairs so not just a library), Beacon house has a fairly popular Cafe and is also a study centre, wills memorial has a cafe (I think, might just be a common room) and a library. Of course there is the students union too which is at the Richmond building - it's about a 10/15 minute walk from most the other buildings on campus however so I don't really go there a lot unless it's for an event of some sort.

In terms of the city itself, there is a main city centre where you have Cabot Circus and Broadmead. There are also smaller 'centres' of activity at places like the harbour-side, the triangle, park street, and a few others.

Remember it's right in the heart of the city so may not have an identical structure to some other universities which have a campus built outside the city.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
There are plans to remedy the 'no centre to the Uni' - a whole chunk of the campus is going to be pedestrianised next year, a whopiing new Library built, a new Economics/Business School, and a new Maths building. Opened this year was Beacon House which is totally student focussed cafe/study space. Before the end of your course its likely the entire Uni area will be pedestrianised, and lots of other new student facilities will have been established. Details here :http://www.bristol.ac.uk/estates/

Original post by returnmigrant
There are plans to remedy the 'no centre to the Uni' - a whole chunk of the campus is going to be pedestrianised next year, a whopiing new Library built, a new Economics/Business School, and a new Maths building. Opened this year was Beacon House which is totally student focussed cafe/study space. Before the end of your course its likely the entire Uni area will be pedestrianised, and lots of other new student facilities will have been established. Details here :http://www.bristol.ac.uk/estates/.

I think it's very optimistic to imagine that someone starting a three-year course in September 2017 (i.e. finishing in July 2020) will see this work completed by the time they graduate.

I can see the pedestrianisation happening within that time frame, assuming the City Council approve it. Currently Tyndall Avenue is a bus route, and it's not clear how the buses will be re-routed. I can't see them being moved to St Michael's Park as it's not wide enough and its junctions are very tight.

A new library *might* be ready, but only just (they need to move the staff and services from the existing site to a different location; demolish the building that's there; build a library on the site; decorate and equip it; then move the existing library into it. This all takes time. Who knows if they've got designs for the building or got planning permission for it? Or even have the funding in place?)

The Economics/Business School, as I understand it, will be in the new campus near Temple Meads station -- and that's slated to be ready for the start of the 2021/22 academic year.
Reply 1583
Badock or Goldney? Catering isn't an issue, and neither is the distance from SB. I enjoy more of a community-ish atmosphere and don't mind partying at all. Thoughts?
Received an offer today! AAB With an A in Maths for Economics.
How lenient is the uni? If I get AAB with the A not in maths would I be considered?
Or ABB With the A in Math
Original post by Azim101
How lenient is the uni? If I get AAB with the A not in maths would I be considered?

Highly unlikely tbh. This offer is already reduced so they don't usually allow any leeway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dina99
Badock or Goldney? Catering isn't an issue, and neither is the distance from SB. I enjoy more of a community-ish atmosphere and don't mind partying at all. Thoughts?

Currently in Badock, have nothing but good things to say about it really - if you don't care about the bus journey (which is now not as peak because they've increased the frequency of the bus service) then being in SB is the way to go really as its easier to make friends that aren't from your hall as there's about 2k students in SB. Goldney is pretty nice from what I've heard as well though, the grounds are pretty picturesque and I guess I may be a bit biased anyway.

Original post by Azim101

One of my mates got in to an AAB course with ABB (he similarly got a conditional offer). I seem to recall the phrasing of the contextual offer being that they 'weight' your results as to where the grades you get are comparable to people who don't get the contextual offer (think of like a points based system or similar) - so I would dispute the claim that they'd be less likely to let you in after missing a grade compared to someone who didn't get a contextual offer just because they've "already lowered it for you". Could be wrong but I guess if you're worried about missing the offer (as I was) then just have an insurance offer that's ABB or whatever and it's calm.
The days when Bristol were GCSE and A level Nazis are fading. They still want high calibre students, but in order to meet student recruitment targets they have to lower their entry tariff standards. That is not to say that they are less prestigious than Durham and St Andrews, they just have a different objective in being a World class research university (i.e. being in the top 25-50 in World rankings). Durham and St Andrews will never be rated as World class universities as they are too small, and don't have the same international profile of Bristol.
(edited 7 years ago)
What's your opinion on the Business department?
Hi do you know when Bristol typically give all their offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student1670
Hi do you know when Bristol typically give all their offers?

All Unis have a deadline set by UCAS - if you applied before the Jan deadline, they must reply before 5 May.

And yes, some decisions are made this late, simply because Unis will now wait to see what the firm-up rate is from offers they have already made and will make extra offers to fill the gaps. Some people therefore will be kept on hold until early May for potential late offers.

Once you have all of your offers (whenever you got them) you have until 8 June to make your own decision about Firm and Insurance. Unis are not allowed to bribe you with accom offers etc to make this decision early so there is no advantage in getting early offers/making your F&I decision early.

In Feb/March there are always 1,000s of applicants still waiting for decisions, including many who applied in Oct/Nov, and yes, its hard just 'waiting', but remember that no Uni would keep you on hold for fun - they do think that there is a good chance of you still being made an offer otherwise they would have already rejected you.
Any current students living in catered at Stoke Bishop?

I'm trying to choose between Wills, Baddock, Churchill, Clifton and Hiatt Baker but it's so hard to compare them from the videos on the website.

I'm not fussed about an en suite as it's too expensive but a larger room or a basin would be nice - (obviously very subjective) but does anyone have an opinion on which is best?
At what hour do courses start and end? I am particularly interested in the schedule of a computer science, mechanical engineering, film and theatre, modern languages, geography or sociology student, but any will do. :smile:
Original post by Michiyo
At what hour do courses start and end? I am particularly interested in the schedule of a computer science, mechanical engineering, film and theatre, modern languages, geography or sociology student, but any will do. :smile:

Impossible to predict in advance. Every year's timetable is different.

(And why do you want to know about such a wide range of subjects?)
Impossible to predict in advance. Every year's timetable is different.

(And why do you want to know about such a wide range of subjects?)

What about this year, though?

Spoiler

Original post by Michiyo
What about this year, though?

Spoiler

If its fiction it hardly matters does it.
If its fiction it hardly matters does it.

I like to write fiction in a realistic way, so it does matter to me :laugh:
Reply 1597
Original post by Michiyo
I like to write fiction in a realistic way, so it does matter to me :laugh:

Mech Eng tends to have more hours per week ~25 i think, as well as computer science, so think about it ending 3-5.
Geography have a lot less hours, so either start and end early or start and end late. Assuming the same would go for film, modern languages, and sociology. But because there are few hours, the timetable can basically start and end whenever.

Again, as said before it changes every year, you can go from having a 9-5 one day, to just having one lecture at 9 the next, and your timetable changes each term. Make it up, the timetabling system is ****.
Original post by vca
Mech Eng tends to have more hours per week ~25 i think, as well as computer science, so think about it ending 3-5.
Geography have a lot less hours, so either start and end early or start and end late. Assuming the same would go for film, modern languages, and sociology. But because there are few hours, the timetable can basically start and end whenever.

Again, as said before it changes every year, you can go from having a 9-5 one day, to just having one lecture at 9 the next, and your timetable changes each term. Make it up, the timetabling system is ****.

Thank you :hugs:
Original post by Michiyo
Thank you :hugs:

I'd love to read it once you're done!

Latest

Trending

Trending