The Student Room Group

Plymouth Dentistry 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I think it's mostly EBL - enquiry based learning. Well, so the prospectus says.
Reply 61
How are people preparing for the ethical scenarios??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 62
Original post by goldmember
How are people preparing for the ethical scenarios??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Can't really prepare for it tbh
Reply 63
Original post by Doctor.
Can't really prepare for it tbh

whens ur interview?
Reply 64
Original post by dent2k13
whens ur interview?

on the 4th :smile: cant remember the time
Reply 65
Original post by HnnahCleverly
Hey there I'm not sure whether to or not. I've done calligraphy for 5 years and would love to show some of my work but from what i've heard i don't think you'll have the opportunity to in the interview. I think it's more of an interview to see how you deal with pressure on the spot rather than a traditional one with the standard questions. I'm led to believe that they have a set of pre-determined questions they ask every candidate. By all means if you mention it in the interview room they may be inclined to look at it but I really am not sure whether to bring mines in as it may have no use.

I know 2 people doing the graduate entry programme at Plymouth. Both of them didn't take anything with them to the interview. And they said they didn't get a chance to show it either. But I'm still confused :/
Reply 66
Original post by ashly398
I know 2 people doing the graduate entry programme at Plymouth. Both of them didn't take anything with them to the interview. And they said they didn't get a chance to show it either. But I'm still confused :/

they've literally given us NO information lol :frown:
I really have a fear of my mind going completely blank about the ethical scenario in the interview and not being able to articulate anything. I really hope nerves do not get the better of me on the day. Good luck guys let's hope that they take it nice and easy on us and we do get our offers
Reply 68

what else did they say about the interview?

i mean like they wont ask us what we did for man dex? thats something that all dental schools as thought? ahhh so confused

what sort of questions is everyone been preparing for???
and do they look at our personal statememt? some people say dont? this interview is soo weird
Guys I think agree that the process at Plymouth is quite weird and doesn't really follow the standard format. For example it states on the letter interviews at 14:45 which everyone in our batch has. Does that mean we will be interviewed all at once. Also it states that there will be no planned activities but events will conclude at 5:30 but you are welcome to leave after your interview. It's not very helpful! In regards to the interview I think they want to test you on the spot and really see how you would deal with the situation given. I have absolutely NO IDEA as to what we will be presented with and i'm not sure whether we will be asked how "you would deal with X in this ethics situation?" or "what are your thoughts on the ethical situation X?" Remember these guys are seeing you as future dentists so I really think that they want to see how you would deal with the scenario on the spot. I agree, the whole process is strange.
Reply 70
what else did they say about the interview?

i mean like they wont ask us what we did for man dex? thats something that all dental schools as thought? ahhh so confused

what sort of questions is everyone been preparing for???
and do they look at our personal statememt? some people say dont? this interview is soo weird

They said the interview is pretty much all about the ethical scenario that you get. And a few questions to find out more about you as a person. They said you don't get asked anything too dentistry like things on amalgam, dental procedures etc unless you have mentioned it in your personal statement. The people I know told me told me to just look over my personal statement because they did use it for them.
But then again this is a new course. So the interview could be really different!!
Reply 71
They said the interview is pretty much all about the ethical scenario that you get. And a few questions to find out more about you as a person. They said you don't get asked anything too dentistry like things on amalgam, dental procedures etc unless you have mentioned it in your personal statement. The people I know told me told me to just look over my personal statement because they did use it for them.
But then again this is a new course. So the interview could be really different!!

cheers for the advice :smile:
Reply 72
Original post by Doctor.
cheers for the advice :smile:

no problem :smile:
Reply 73

i thought they dont use the personal statement?
Reply 74

She told me to look over it. I guess she meant do it just to make sure. But I'm not 100% about that sorry!
Reply 75
She told me to look over it. I guess she meant do it just to make sure. But I'm not 100% about that sorry!

is she currently studying there?
Reply 76

That's the impression I got when I phoned them last week. I think part of their interview process is not knowing anything about the candidate so it remains independent
Reply 77
So will they not ask about things like 'Why Plymouth?', 'What makes a good dentist?' or 'Why dentistry?' in the QUESTIONAIRE?

If not these, does anyone know what will come up in the questionaire??
Reply 78
So effectively, someone who has prepared for weeks and someone who will start today (I.e. me :colondollar:) will be no different in the sense that we are equally clueless.

I have this crazy fear that I will misinterpret the question and ramble on like I did at my neuroscience interview :confused: and fail to articulate myself properly, only to have the interviewer stare at me blankly.

So we've established that its ethics based, we think they won't ask us questions regarding the university, the course, the structure etc...and we presume that it may be based on elements of our personal statements. Anyone have anything else to add..?
Reply 79
I'm getting so nervous reading all these comments!
Are the ethical questions going to be dentistry related, like about any current issues? Or would they be any type of ethical scenario just to see how we react?

Quick Reply

Latest