The Student Room Group

As level options

So i want to do 4 out of;

maths - i love maths and im in the top set at my school
biology - I enjoy biology
physics - Im not enjoying physics at GCSE, and i have a bad teacher. However apparently physics becomes much more maths based which would be good for me
chemistry - I enjoy chemistry
art - I love art

Im interested in doing ;

Art foundation for a year (A level is not needed but it would be helpful)
biochemistry at uni
biotechnology at uni
Mechanical engineering, or other engineering courses at uni
Reply 1
What are you're GCSE predicted grades?
Reply 2
Original post by kieran1502
What are you're GCSE predicted grades?
A*s in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Art, History. An A in English and Bs in Spanish and Textiles.
Reply 3
Apparently A level physics is harder than university, so I wouldn't advise it, unless your really going to do engineering
You can do the other subjects, then drop Art at A2 since you don't necessarily need it for the Art foundation course, and that way you could still do biochemistry if you choose to do so.
Reply 4
Sounds like your on the right track to get into those kinds of degrees. You might be best talking to a teacher at you're sixth form/college what your going too. They will be more knowledgeable on each degree and help you decide which A levels are best for you. I would advise Biochem- bio,chem, math and art just to show your versatility and for engineering- math, physics, chem and art again for the same reasons and in both cases drop art at AS. My friend is doing biochem and genetics at nottm and she took bio,chem,phy and math and dropped math at AS
Reply 5
Thank you !
Reply 6
Original post by louiseimogen

physics - Im not enjoying physics at GCSE, and i have a bad teacher. However apparently physics becomes much more maths based which would be good for me
art - I love art

Im interested in doing ;

biochemistry at uni
biotechnology at uni

Maths would be needed/useful for all your future interests except the Art foundation year, so that's probably a good one to have. You don't need Art for the foundation year, but you're right in saying it'd be very useful.

For Biochemistry, the obvious two are Biology and Chemistry, with the latter being a standard requirement. Biotechnology will probably have similar entry requirements, with Maths being useful there to.

Engineering is where you need your Maths and Physics. Physics A-level is ridiculously hard, and whilst there is more maths, there is a lot of theory as well. If your teacher isn't amazing then it's very difficult.

I'd suggest that you do Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Art. Art is time consuming, but you can drop it after the first year.

Good luck.
Original post by louiseimogen

art - I love art

Im interested in doing ;

biochemistry at uni
biotechnology at uni

I am in a similar situation to you and I was thinking the exact same thing about physics but in the end I have decided not to do it because you still have to learn stuff like gcse and it's not all maths. It's not good to do an a-level in something you don't like.
also you would already be doing 3 sciences so art would probably look good and show that you have other talents.

Quick Reply

Latest