The Student Room Group

Healthy New You: Your Change For Life #3

Scroll to see replies

Original post by isawsparks89
It's healthy to do about 1/2lb a week or something, right? Depends how much time she's lost it over I guess...

Like Mark, I did 3st in just under 4 months

Yeah thats what i thought as well:smile: :smile:thats really good 3st under 4 months well done:biggrin:
Having a VLC day today. I don't normally do this, but I just feel as though I've done nothing but eat rubbish for the past few days, so I'm using today as a kind of detox thing and then going back to my normal healthy eating habits from tomorrow until I reach my goal.

I'd love to be able to report a loss this week, but the junk has played havoc with water retention, so it's not likely to happen for a couple of days.

Mind you, never say never!
Reply 182
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

I'd love to be able to report a loss this week, but the junk has played havoc with water retention, so it's not likely to happen for a couple of days.

I am only mentioning this because you seem to worry about weight and water levels a lot:

Why not try measuring your weight over three days and averaging? That way, you get a better idea of weight rather than worrying that your carb and electrolyte intake is varied which causes weight variation.

Just an idea that might help you reduce focus on water levels. I mean, unless you are significantly bloated or dehydrated - it really isn't something worth even thinking about.
It's healthy to do about 1/2lb a week or something, right? Depends how much time she's lost it over I guess...

Like Mark, I did 3st in just under 4 months

I want to lose about 3 stone and if i could do it in just under 4 months i would be very happy, thats really good going :smile: could i ask how you did it? :smile:
Original post by Armani786
Yeah thats what i thought as well:smile: :smile:thats really good 3st under 4 months well done:biggrin:

Thank you :smile: but again it's probably because I was so fat. But oh well!

Having a VLC day today. I don't normally do this, but I just feel as though I've done nothing but eat rubbish for the past few days, so I'm using today as a kind of detox thing and then going back to my normal healthy eating habits from tomorrow until I reach my goal.

Mind you, never say never!

I think the next few days will be vlc for me too, after the meal on tuesday and today landlady was trying to make me eat all sorts - then she brought out these really sugary biscuits, it was too much!! Delicious lunch though. A moment on the lips, though...
Original post by Littlemisspiglet
I want to lose about 3 stone and if i could do it in just under 4 months i would be very happy, thats really good going :smile: could i ask how you did it? :smile:

Of course! I follow the red (original) slimming world plan. If you would consider it, I do think it was worth investing in for a couple of weeks - once you've got it down and working, you have skills and knowledge about healthy living for life.

Admittedly my eating habits have become a bit erratic in the last few weeks or so which has probably affected it, but mainly I just restricted myself and when my weight got lower, my calorie intake would too.

I also started at a BMI of 36 so that might have made the weight loss a little quicker, just to warn you.

If you have any questions, feel free. Or if you want more detail, you're very welcome to PM me if you like :smile: I can tell you how I got started, anyway.
Original post by Mark85
I am only mentioning this because you seem to worry about weight and water levels a lot:

Why not try measuring your weight over three days and averaging? That way, you get a better idea of weight rather than worrying that your carb and electrolyte intake is varied which causes weight variation.

Just an idea that might help you reduce focus on water levels. I mean, unless you are significantly bloated or dehydrated - it really isn't something worth even thinking about.

Don't weigh myself that much anymore, possibly every couple of days now, but I like to understand why it's changed. I know for a fact that either at TOTM or after I've had a Chinese my weight can change by a couple of pounds. But as long as I know it's due to something I can explain, and not that I've actually eaten enough to gain the weight in fat, I'm pretty happy. Could do without it now that I'm so close to my goal. Once I see 10 stone 10 on the scales I'm never weighing myself again lol.

I think the next few days will be vlc for me too, after the meal on tuesday and today landlady was trying to make me eat all sorts - then she brought out these really sugary biscuits, it was too much!! Delicious lunch though. A moment on the lips, though...

I was always against VLC but now that I'm in the position of having a bit of ground to make up, it seems like the obvious solution. It's not like STUPIDLY low, I've had 950 cals so far and plan to have another 50 later, but those few hundred will make up for the past few days.

I was always against VLC but now that I'm in the position of having a bit of ground to make up, it seems like the obvious solution. It's not like STUPIDLY low, I've had 950 cals so far and plan to have another 50 later, but those few hundred will make up for the past few days.

As long as you're getting the right nutrients I'm sure you're ok. And it's not long term I guess. I probably won't eat again til tomorrow afternoon, I'm so full. If you have a big meal in spain it's usually so packed with protein that you are full/in pain for a good 24 hours. I just find it distressing to eat so much in one session which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing, oh well, whatever. I sound like an ungrateful cow!!

I didn't even realise until a few days ago that 2000kcal is what a normal woman should eat in a day?!?! I thought it was far lower.
Reply 188
Original post by Littlemisspiglet

I know this question wasn't directed at me but after a recent weight loss stint - I had a fair few people at the gym and other places in RL asking me the same question "Oh, you lost weight/got in shape - how did you do it? I want to lose weight/shape up" and the following mini-rant is directed toward the attitude of a lot of the people asking me that:

The thing is, when people ask that question - they know full well what is physiologically involved in weight loss. What they are really doing is wanting to find some special formula or strategy rather than actually just doing something positive now. People spin their wheels trying to find out some idealised or perfect method before resolving to start another day when in reality the best thing is just to make the simple changes we all know we need to make, develop some discipline, get organised and start making the required changes.

It is a simple case of spending 95% of effort on aspects that account for less than 5% of ultimate success in your goal. Worrying about minor differences in similar foods, the exact caloric value of a foodstuff, electrolytes, carbs and water retention and the associated minor weight fluctuation etc. is actually counterproductive because it takes time and mental effort away from concentrating on the non-marginal factors which will tangibly affect results.

Weight loss is a startlingly simple process: Just eat less.

People try to overcomplicate it too much and look for secrets and shortcuts when there are none. If you want to lose weight healthily - do it slowly and cut back your calories without missing out on essential nutrients like proteins, essential fats and your vitamins and minerals. Vigorous exercise a few times a week is also good because it encourages your body to hold onto muscle so that more of your weight loss is fat. Doing solely low intensity exercise and cutting back on food can often have the opposite effect (this is why mo farah and bradley wiggins are so damn skinny whereas jessica ennis is 'toned')

All you need is some method of estimating roughly how much food you eat (whether that is through calorie counting or just learning to assess portion sizes), a rough idea of different food types, a set of scales and a tape measure. Then, if you are losing weight and inches off your belly slowly - you are eating about the right amount for fat loss. If you are losing a lot of weight then you up your food intake slightly and if you are maintaining or gaining weight - you cut back your intake slightly.

That is all there is to it. Every successful and sustainable method is just as I described albeit with different small details. Don't worry about the minutiae.

The only real secrets AFAIAC are:

- planning and organisation (plan meal purchasing and preparation in advance, mostly stick to the same meal times and types of food)
- consistency and discipline (developing a good routine) (get in the habit of preparing your meals and making time in your schedule to eat and exercise properly and make these things a priority)
- planned flexibility (don't freak out if you have to eat out or can't get your normal foodstuffs - don't fall into the trap of all or nothing or binge and starve)

The fact is, once you decide on a small but varied repertoire of staple meals, when you will eat them and you work out appropriate portions - you just get on with your life and watch the weight fall off easy without any hassle or obsession because you needn't think about these things once you develop a routine. It is like your work schedule - you don't wake up every morning and fret about when to shower, brush teeth and which bus to get and what time to get it; you are in a routine and it is just automatic and you just do it.

A minimum amount of actual knowledge is required.
(edited 11 years ago)
Really pissed off. Was meant to be working at uni for 3 solid hours, I had a couple of almonds in my lecture before and I'd also eaten lunch so I could've held out IF I was busy, but they dont seem to need me. I finish at 6:45 and I've been sent on a half hour break already, now I'm on an hour. I'm getting paid £9ph but as I'm hungry and tired wit nothing to do, I've ended up in the uni cafe with a "chip butty" aka a white baguette and some chips, plus a diet coke. When I had a lovely healthy dinner planned. Oh well. Going to the gym tonight and I've got an abundance of classes booked so I'm sure it's fine, just annoying because I hadn't planned a treat so it doesn't really feel like one. More that I was hungry and ate because I was bored. They don't sell anything healthy at this time of night either so I know it was sort of out of my hands (I can NEVER avoid eating if I'm hungry AND bored) just really annoyed at myself/uni right now :frown:
Reply 190

I didn't even realise until a few days ago that 2000kcal is what a normal woman should eat in a day?!?! I thought it was far lower.

It will be lower for many. It depends on size and activity level. The oft quoted figures of 2,000 and 2,500 cals for men and women is just an estimate based on an average height and weight woman and man with a moderately active lifestyle.

In reality, many will need less calories than these figures due to a sedentary lifestyle (or having less lean weight than the idealised average). For instance, even though I am moderately active - I am smaller (hence lighter) than the average man and my job is pretty sedentary so my maintenance cals are about 2,200-300 at the moment (although this may well change in the next couple of months as I eat more and quite possibly increase the volume of training which is currently minimalistic).

On the other hand, many need a lot more calories due to stresses, hard physical work, lots of activity etc. The other category that fits this criteria is growing teens - especially males who require a lot of energy to grow. This is why most guys are skinny bitches from the age of about 13-14 until their early twenties - the energy they need to grow outstrips their natural appetite for food.
Reply 191
Original post by infairverona
Really pissed off. Was meant to be working at uni for 3 solid hours, I had a couple of almonds in my lecture before and I'd also eaten lunch so I could've held out IF I was busy, but they dont seem to need me. I finish at 6:45 and I've been sent on a half hour break already, now I'm on an hour. I'm getting paid £9ph but as I'm hungry and tired wit nothing to do, I've ended up in the uni cafe with a "chip butty" aka a white baguette and some chips, plus a diet coke. When I had a lovely healthy dinner planned. Oh well. Going to the gym tonight and I've got an abundance of classes booked so I'm sure it's fine, just annoying because I hadn't planned a treat so it doesn't really feel like one. More that I was hungry and ate because I was bored. They don't sell anything healthy at this time of night either so I know it was sort of out of my hands (I can NEVER avoid eating if I'm hungry AND bored) just really annoyed at myself/uni right now :frown:

Look at it this way:

Most people eat about 20 meals per week. If one meal doesn't go according to plan that is like a 5% diversion from your goal. As long as you are consistent generally, situations like this aren't even worth considering.

The force of homeostasis is a fairly powerful thing. This is why so many people who don't actively monitor what they eat or their activity levels maintain their weight to +/-1lb or so for years on end. It isn't because their net energy intake is precisely constant, it is because it is roughly the same and the body takes care of the minor adjustments for the rest.

The worse thing you can do is focus too much on having eaten too much and then go crash dieting or changing your plans to make up for it. This type of situation is a tiny deviation from plan that will have no tangible effect on your fat loss goals. On the other hand eating off plan and then crash dieting just leads to screwed up energy levels and more binging later on in the following week.

So be pissed off at your employer for ****ing you around but really don't waste precious mental energy on inconsequential details like the meal you just ate. It is detrimental to your aims.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mark85
It will be lower for many. It depends on size and activity level. The oft quoted figures of 2,000 and 2,500 cals for men and women is just an estimate based on an average height and weight woman and man with a moderately active lifestyle.

In reality, many will need less calories than these figures due to a sedentary lifestyle (or having less lean weight than the idealised average). For instance, even though I am moderately active - I am smaller (hence lighter) than the average man and my job is pretty sedentary so my maintenance cals are about 2,200-300 at the moment (although this may well change in the next couple of months as I eat more and quite possibly increase the volume of training which is currently minimalistic).

On the other hand, many need a lot more calories due to stresses, hard physical work, lots of activity etc. The other category that fits this criteria is growing teens - especially males who require a lot of energy to grow. This is why most guys are skinny bitches from the age of about 13-14 until their early twenties - the energy they need to grow outstrips their natural appetite for food.

Yeah I did mine based on my fitness pal and you really have to take activity into account I know. It's the BMR thing although we've already disproved the BMR stuff. Well I think there's still truth there but more as 'guidelines'

Can I ask where you read up to become this fountain of knowledge before our very eyes? I'd be interested to do the same. :smile:

I like the idea of looking at meals as they are for a week rather than a day-by-day thing. Never looked at it like that, I prefer that. :smile:
Thank goodness for that :smile:.

I teach brass instruments, and I advertise "supplementary teaching" and there are a number of children, particularly when nearing grade examinations, who are happy to pay me to provide extra tutoring outside of their weekly school lessons.
I tried to approach schools, but they all have existing teachers. I've got quite a bit of business from advertising as supplementary, so maybe that's something you could consider!

Thanks.
I don't know if I wanna advertise as a supplementary mainly, because I really want to get something more consistent going, but I certainly will include it with everything else.

How on earth do you calculate your calories from freshly made foods? I've been struggling. Tonight is omlettes, I don't usually get a choice in what's for dinner.
Thank you :smile: but again it's probably because I was so fat. But oh well!

:bigsmile:
Original post by Mark85
Look at it this way:

Most people eat about 20 meals per week. If one meal doesn't go according to plan that is like a 5% diversion from your goal. As long as you are consistent generally, situations like this aren't even worth considering.

The force of homeostasis is a fairly powerful thing. This is why so many people who don't actively monitor what they eat or their activity levels maintain their weight to +/-1lb or so for years on end. It isn't because their net energy intake is precisely constant, it is because it is roughly the same and the body takes care of the minor adjustments for the rest.

The worse thing you can do is focus too much on having eaten too much and then go crash dieting or changing your plans to make up for it. This type of situation is a tiny deviation from plan that will have no tangible effect on your fat loss goals. On the other hand eating off plan and then crash dieting just leads to screwed up energy levels and more binging later on in the following week.

So be pissed off at your employer for ****ing you around but really don't waste precious mental energy on inconsequential details like the meal you just ate. It is detrimental to your aims.

Thanks Mark :smile: my main concern was that usually if I have a healthy day, then eat something a bit unhealthy (or what I class as "bad") then I ruin the rest of the day with binging. I thought that's what would happen this time. But I went to the gym and I did intervals rather than a long jog like I usually would, I did intervals on the cross trainer as well (higher level/much higher speeds than I would usually bother to attempt) and also intervals on the treadmill. I know the calorie count things aren't accurate but they were saying I'd burnt 350 calories in 35 minutes cardio which is far more than I would usually "burn" according to them doing 30 mins on the cross trainer even. So I feel much better now :smile: and am absolutely drenched so definitely worked harder than usual I think!
Original post by Mark85
Look at it this way:

This is probably a stupid question Mark but does thinking burn calories in the same way as exercise (but to a lower extent)? Like say you took 2 twins, made one watch tv all day, and the other solve equations and crosswords etc all day (keeping everything else controlled) would the one using his brain burn more calories than the other. I was just thinking as the brain is like a muscle, and the more work it does the more energy it requires..
Reply 197
Ty yes they have a little bit, had to really push the school to loan me money though. It was then difficult to get 150euros out of them and then after a call to the ministry, the school will lend me the rest of the 700 on monday. Phew. So I'm gonna buy my flights home tomorrow :woo:

Tbh if I hadnt threatened leaving, they wouldnt have given me anything. Not that they're obligated to pay me, but yknow, nor am I obligated to work when I'm not being paid - what can they do, dock my pay? tch.

Sorry must have just missed you posting! At least its all a step in the right direction, hopefully the rest follows!
Original post by areebmazhar
This is probably a stupid question Mark but does thinking burn calories in the same way as exercise (but to a lower extent)? Like say you took 2 twins, made one watch tv all day, and the other solve equations and crosswords etc all day (keeping everything else controlled) would the one using his brain burn more calories than the other. I was just thinking as the brain is like a muscle, and the more work it does the more energy it requires..

Yes, it's a highly significant amount. Take for example chess players needing close to an athlete's diet when doing elite tournaments. Of course nobody is saying that it's physical exercise, but using the brain requires a massive amount of energy. The neurons require blood flow to supply the necessary nutrients, energy is constantly needed to conduct signals along neurons and remove chemicals from synapses quickly, it's a staggering process that can make a large difference. Commonly quoted at 25% of daily energy use, I don't know how accurate that is since I've never looked at proper studies.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 199
Yeah I did mine based on my fitness pal and you really have to take activity into account I know. It's the BMR thing although we've already disproved the BMR stuff. Well I think there's still truth there but more as 'guidelines'

What do you mean by disproved the BMR stuff? BMR is just (roughly speaking) the amount of energy you use at rest. It is just a definition - you can't disprove it as such...

I don't know why people bother using formulae to estimate their BMR/TDEE and then hold so much stock in those figures.

The easiest and much more accurate thing to do is measure food consumption and measure weight. That way - you find out your TDEE precisely.

Can I ask where you read up to become this fountain of knowledge before our very eyes? I'd be interested to do the same. :smile:

I don't really know that much. I am just a big reader. I work in the library a lot and often look up books connected with whatever I have read about in articles and so forth but I haven't actively 'studied' physiology or dietetics so I only have slightly more than a layman's knowledge.

Original post by infairverona
Thanks Mark :smile: my main concern was that usually if I have a healthy day, then eat something a bit unhealthy (or what I class as "bad") then I ruin the rest of the day with binging. I thought that's what would happen this time. But I went to the gym and I did intervals rather than a long jog like I usually would, I did intervals on the cross trainer as well (higher level/much higher speeds than I would usually bother to attempt) and also intervals on the treadmill.

It is good that you are trying to break out of that mentality. It is literally the worst behaviour to have when going for sustainable changes in body composition where tedious consistency is so key.

Original post by areebmazhar

This is a question that I have been interested in (well, purely academic rather than practical interest) too ever since I read something about chess players losing significant amount of weight during long sessions.

The brain does utilise a significant amount of energy (the standard average figure touted is approx 20% of total energy usage) and studies have indicated that it uses more energy when you are awake then when you are asleep and again, more when you are talking compared with sitting quietly but it isn't clear whether these differences are accounted for by for instance, the brains role in motor function as opposed to the actual thinking required.

So as far as I can tell, in your hypothetical situation, it is possible that the twin doing the harder thinking would use up more energy but it doesn't seem clear whether this would be a significant amount or not.

The problem is that these issues are very hard to study due to compounding factors, particularly things like motor activity and soforth. Nervous or anxious people have a higher waking calorie burn just from fidgeting for example. Lots of people fidget when they are actively thinking and concentrating.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest