The Student Room Group

Healthy New You: Your Change For Life #3

Scroll to see replies

Just tried a dress on that I wanted to wear for my department's Christmas meal on Wednesday... It looks awful. :frown: I've put so much weight on. Urgh!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5981
Original post by Piggsil
Another awesome snack is chicken drumsticks. I always roast some at the start of the week (takes 20 min) with some fun seasoning like harissa or something and then they keep for a few days in the fridge. You can microwave them if you want warm food. Eat one as a snack or 2-3 with some veg as a meal!

I don't really have any NYRs. I just want to not be broken any more and get back to training properly!

I might start doing that myself thanks for the tip :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5982
Original post by infairverona
It's annoying though, it takes forever to actually drop a dress size. I have lost a stone and a half in total and I swear it barely even shows :frown: my friend who is 5'2 only needs to lose half a stone to fit into the smaller jeans size!

Im the same even though Im only 5'4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by camaieu
**** **** **** ****, had a fecking binge on party nibbles last night. And I'd been so good before. Agh. Onwards and upwards, I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no :frown:. It's bound to happen around this time of year, though. You have a few choices..

a) Just go with it and deal with the damage in January (it can't be THAT bad).
b) Try to limit damage by eating slowly, alternating alcohol with diet coke or something, going out for lots of walks.
c) Be completely miserable and eat carrot sticks (not advisable ha).

Ultimately, don't think about it too much. It's Christmas, you need to enjoy yourself. Even if you eat 4,000 calories a day you'd probably only gain half a stone between now and Jan 6th (when Christmas is officially over lol) and a lot of that will be water weight.. and you should be able to shift that within a few weeks. So yeah, don't stress too much!

Original post by ThatPerson
I thought I'd ask this question here instead of making a thread.

How do you people exercise in the winter?

I was running on most days during the summer, but now it's usually too dark by the time I get home.

I use my Wii Fit, sometimes just put some music on and jog on the spot, I have an exercise bike.. but most of the time I just wrap up and go out haha, dark doesn't bother me anymore.

Original post by outlaw-torn
Just tried a dress on that I wanted to wear for my department's Christmas meal on Wednesday... It looks awful. :frown: I've put so much weight on. Urgh!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah nooo. Any idea why? Motivation/circumstance/etc? xx
This quote from Go Kaleo makes me think of some people in this thread.

Some days the weight of seeing woman after woman after woman base her own self worth on the number on the scale makes me want to crawl into bed and stay there for a week.

The number on the scale is a data point. It can give you clues about how your current lifestyle is affecting your body, but it is not a measure of your worth. In no way, shape or form is it a measure of your worth. They are not in the same ballpark, they are not even in the same universe. They are completely separate things.

As long as you allow yourself to measure your worth by the number on the scale, you will be a slave to the number on the scale. It will rule your life. It will control YOU, not the other way around. And it means almost NOTHING.

Your worth is defined by so much more than that number.

I hope people can relax a bit with their relationship with food and the scale this Christmas. :smile:
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Oh no :frown:. It's bound to happen around this time of year, though. You have a few choices..

a) Just go with it and deal with the damage in January (it can't be THAT bad).
b) Try to limit damage by eating slowly, alternating alcohol with diet coke or something, going out for lots of walks.
c) Be completely miserable and eat carrot sticks (not advisable ha).

Ultimately, don't think about it too much. It's Christmas, you need to enjoy yourself. Even if you eat 4,000 calories a day you'd probably only gain half a stone between now and Jan 6th (when Christmas is officially over lol) and a lot of that will be water weight.. and you should be able to shift that within a few weeks. So yeah, don't stress too much!

I use my Wii Fit, sometimes just put some music on and jog on the spot, I have an exercise bike.. but most of the time I just wrap up and go out haha, dark doesn't bother me anymore.

Ah nooo. Any idea why? Motivation/circumstance/etc? xx

Motivation to go to the gym when I have a million and one things to do, being too tired to cook when I get home from school, stress/comfort eating.. So many things :frown: I think it looked worse because it was quite clingy. I'll try a different one on and see if it's any better!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
Im the same even though Im only 5'4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's really annoying! I think I will have to face facts that my shoulders and hips aren't going to go down much more and some items I will just have to get in the bigger size. But it's incredibly disheartening even if I try to reason with myself, I mean I can't change the bone structure of my shoulders.
Although, I was just thinking…at my biggest I was bursting out of size 12s, but refused to get 14s. So maybe that's why it seems I haven't gone down much, but really had I bought sizes I needed rather than wearing old, worn out a bit clothes, I would've been a 14…who knows.

Starting a Slimming World week today, having one big push before Christmas so I can relax and enjoy Christmas day. Today I am 10 stone 10.5 so I have gone up a bit again, but I also had a curry last night haha. Going to finally see Catching Fire tonight, armed with Alpen bars…so excited!

Starting a Slimming World week today, having one big push before Christmas so I can relax and enjoy Christmas day. Today I am 10 stone 10.5 so I have gone up a bit again, but I also had a curry last night haha. Going to finally see Catching Fire tonight, armed with Alpen bars…so excited!

I enjoyed it :yep:
I just can't find anybody to watch 'The Desolation of Smaug' with :frown:
Original post by Craghyrax

I've been waiting aaaaages! I haven't read the books much to my sister's dismay but with 3 essays and my dissertation I just don't have the time. I'm trying to persuade her to come and see Anchorman 2 tomorrow but she 'doesn't get it'…teenagers...
Reply 5989
It's really annoying! I think I will have to face facts that my shoulders and hips aren't going to go down much more and some items I will just have to get in the bigger size. But it's incredibly disheartening even if I try to reason with myself, I mean I can't change the bone structure of my shoulders.
Although, I was just thinking…at my biggest I was bursting out of size 12s, but refused to get 14s. So maybe that's why it seems I haven't gone down much, but really had I bought sizes I needed rather than wearing old, worn out a bit clothes, I would've been a 14…who knows.

My problem is when I lose weight it all seems to go off one place at once, and it's always random places like my elbows or ribcage, never my stomach or thighs. I agree it's annoying! Have a good time at the cinema tonight :smile:

Anyone here use any fitness/dieting aps other than myfitnesspal?
Original post by gemmam
My problem is when I lose weight it all seems to go off one place at once, and it's always random places like my elbows or ribcage, never my stomach or thighs. I agree it's annoying! Have a good time at the cinema tonight :smile:

Anyone here use any fitness/dieting aps other than myfitnesspal?

Yeah I keep being told not to lose anymore because my shoulders are looking really boney now, and when I lie down my ribcage sticks out loads and is actually pretty uncomfortable. But I'm really not happy with my stomach still! There's a good Davina app for ab exercises and other things, plus I use a couple of yoga ones and obviously C25k. Plus a BMI one. I have a folder called 'health' on my iPhone haha!

What about your OH?

I enjoyed Catching Fire too. The next film I want to see is Wolf of Wall Street.
Original post by outlaw-torn
Motivation to go to the gym when I have a million and one things to do, being too tired to cook when I get home from school, stress/comfort eating.. So many things :frown: I think it looked worse because it was quite clingy. I'll try a different one on and see if it's any better!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't feel bad, from what I've heard about PGCE you're doing well just by surviving lol...
I think I put on about 10000000000lbs during ITT+NQT year.
Original post by Piggsil
What about your OH?

I enjoyed Catching Fire too. The next film I want to see is Wolf of Wall Street.

No good! He refuses to see anything on the big screen when it can be more cheaply watched on DVD in the future :smile: I respect his decision, its just very inconvenient :p: At this rate I might go alone :emo:
No good! He refuses to see anything on the big screen when it can be more cheaply watched on DVD in the future :smile: I respect his decision, its just very inconvenient :p: At this rate I might go alone :emo:

It's such a good movie though! Normally i'd agree with your OH but I went to see Catching Fire because it's worth it for the experience of watching it in the dark on a big screen. :smile: Fair enough if you have a massive TV at home but me and my boyfriend definitely don't so it's worth it for us!
Original post by alabelle
It's such a good movie though! Normally i'd agree with your OH but I went to see Catching Fire because it's worth it for the experience of watching it in the dark on a big screen. :smile: Fair enough if you have a massive TV at home but me and my boyfriend definitely don't so it's worth it for us!

Epic action based films aren't really his cup of tea at the best of times, so that argument doesn't really work. He tries to avoid unecessary spending and gives a lot of what he saves to charity. I would do the same if I had the self discipline :p: Like you, I think some films are more enjoyable on the big screen. Some I'm happy to wait for. For instance that recent version of 'Much Ado About Nothing' I really want to see, but they can't have anything so visually amazing that it won't be fine on DVD when the whole thing was shot inside a single house...

For films like Catching Fire and The Hobbit trilogy, I'm not even sure he will agree to watch them when they're out on DVD as it is :p: We watch films together, but generally not in this genre.

Nothing wrong with going to the cinema alone, I've done that many times! The massive downside is not having anyone to immediately discuss the film with.

I definitely think the Hunger Games films and stuff like LOTR/Hobbit are worth seeing at the pictures, if only for the amazing scenery of New Zealand! But yeah any period dramas etc I agree with your OH. I watched the first Hunger Games film alone on my TV and I didn't really get into it as much as I did the 2nd one.

I am biased though, as I LOVE going to the cinema. It's been one of my favourite things to do since I was a kid. Unfortunately this means I have watched a fair amount of films I didn't enjoy and got annoyed about afterwards (e.g. Wall Street 2 - that one my OH wanted to see. NEVER WATCH IT IT'S TERRIBLE :p: )
Original post by Piggsil
Nothing wrong with going to the cinema alone, I've done that many times! The massive downside is not having anyone to immediately discuss the film with.

I definitely think the Hunger Games films and stuff like LOTR/Hobbit are worth seeing at the pictures, if only for the amazing scenery of New Zealand! But yeah any period dramas etc I agree with your OH. I watched the first Hunger Games film alone on my TV and I didn't really get into it as much as I did the 2nd one.

I am biased though, as I LOVE going to the cinema. It's been one of my favourite things to do since I was a kid. Unfortunately this means I have watched a fair amount of films I didn't enjoy and got annoyed about afterwards (e.g. Wall Street 2 - that one my OH wanted to see. NEVER WATCH IT IT'S TERRIBLE :p: )

Interesting. I'm the opposite. While I like the immersive experience of such a big screen and the quality and volume of the sound, I find most cinemas annoying. If you go at a bad time, you might be stuck next to gaffawing teenagers or loudly snogging couples. These things are easily avoided in the comfort of your own home :p: Then there's the really garish and tacky colours and decors that most cinemas have. And also the fact that cinemas generally charge a ludicrous price for tickets. Having grown up in SA, I can't get used to it. There you would never pay more than £3 to see a film. Arty cinemas are a bit nicer inside, but then you may have to pay more, or deal with less convenient times and locations, or your preferred film not being shown.

Yeh I might go by myself. And then you don't have to feel guilty about buying a ben and jerries :flute: Yeh, I watched the first HG on the big screen (with scarlet ibis) and walked out thinking that it really wouldn't be the same on a tv. That's why I made such a big effort to see the next one in cinema despite having far too much work pressure on at the time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Would any of you be interested in letting me interview you? My PhD research is focused on TSR, and Fitness is one of the forums I've explored in detail. I'd like to ask a few people some questions via PM about their experiences of using the forum.

Quick Reply

Latest