The Student Room Group

Healthy New You: Your Change For Life #3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by silent ninja
Depends what the take-away is. I'll be honest, I eat 4-6 take aways per week, excluding lunch which at work is often a take out. But what I buy is: whole periperi chicken (grilled so little fat; costs £5 and I get two good portions out of it), chicken tikka n salad (tandoori cooked which is oil free), and my most unhealthy meal which I loooove is BBQ sirloin steak with fat chips. It's not the healthiest but isn't as bad as a lot of fast foods out there. The first two feel like junk food but they're VERY healthy so win-win for me-- hits that spot.

So yeah, take away can be good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, certainly worth considering trying to find some healthier takeaway options, I guess you are right - if I can find one that does things a little healthier nearby, it probably not so bad. The best I know of is probably fish and chips lol...
As if there have been more than 60 posts on here in the past 24 hours.
Reply 62
Original post by Chrisateen
Rest is the best way to recover the muscles - well that's what I usually find is best for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah- think I'm going to stay away from the gym for a couple of days, just walk a bit so they don't stiffen up too much :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 63
Breakfast: Porridge made with water and a tablespoon of strawberry jam
Lunch: 50g pasta with red pesto and a tiny bit of cheese
Dinner: Fillet of white fish with red pesto and cheese, new potatoes and veg (you can tell I needed to use the pesto haha)
Supper: Probably 2 slices of brown toast with a bit of brussels pate
Drinks: 1 black coffee, 1 small glass cranberry juice, 1 can of coke zero
How is everyone, new start, new thread:smile:
Reply 65
Weight: 67.9kg

Rowing workout today:
outing (~45 mins medium rowing, 10 mins hard rowing)
Erg training (2.7k 10:02.70, 1kx2 average 3.40-ish)
Core exercises
Flexibility
Diet: mediocre (bought snacks for fellow medics in a 4 hour set of lectures and ate a significant amount. Making up for a big but healthy lunch with a soup+bread dinner!)
Original post by Hypocrism
Weight: 67.9kg

Rowing workout today:
outing (~45 mins medium rowing, 10 mins hard rowing)
Erg training (2.7k 10:02.70, 1kx2 average 3.40-ish)
Core exercises
Flexibility
Diet: mediocre (bought snacks for fellow medics in a 4 hour set of lectures and ate a significant amount. Making up for a big but healthy lunch with a soup+bread dinner!)

You should make a blog on the fitness blogs forum to keep everyone updated and to log your own progress :smile:
And lol, we had some soul-draining lectures on inflammation last week-resisting snacking is so hard!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by outlaw-torn
Haven't posted all weekend, oops. Haven't overeaten really but I haven't been eating the best food as I've been at my boyfriends. Drank too much wine on Saturday

my goal for this thread: get under 11 stone :biggrin:

We can swap weight - my goal is to get over 11 stone :smile:

Original post by amizzle91
Really regretting those squats now. Keep walking around at work like a duck :tongue:

Anyone got any overworked muscle relief tips?

The best thing is to get them working again. They probably aren't overworked but moreso unconditioned to the exercise you were doing. Even a good brisk walk is very helpful in getting blood pumping through them and making them feel better. You could follow up the walk/jog (or even just some more light squatting) with some gentle stretching and mobility work too. The worst thing you can do is just rest them because they just seize up and they will not only take longer to feel better but you will also never condition yourself to doing regular exercise.

I remember when I started squatting - after the first session, I had such brutal DOMS that I didn't squat again for a week. The second week - exactly the same thing happened. Then, the third week, I did a bit less and although I was still brutally sore, I went back to the gym two days later and even though I felt like I wouldn't be able to do a bodyweight squat - after warming up and persevering, I managed to complete my sets and the next day, my legs were only mildly sore.

Original post by Hanvyj
Need to stop eating takeaways... Its just going shopping and then cooking is the last thing I can be bothered to do when I get home from work at 7, by the time the other half is home its like half 8/9 o clock... And she always pressures us to get a takeaway.

Any tips? I try buying food to make stuff with but I end up putting it off and just have to throw it away...

Make simple food and in big batches. I always plan most of my food the day before. For example, tonight - when I get home, I will chuck 500g of turkey in the grill, microwave some frozen veg and whack it in a tupperware with some chilli sauce. Then, in the morning, I put the tupperware in my bag alongside some packaged oats, a piece of fruit or two and a tub of quark then I pretty much have the best part of a days food for about 5-10mins of preparation.

With regard to your other half wanting takeaways - I either do what SilentNinja says and just make sensible choices that fit into my eating plans or if it is midweek, say and I have already eaten or prepared all I want for the day I will just tell her to get what she wants and not have any. Flexible diet plans are usually the best because they are sustainable and help you break out of the 'all or nothing' mentality. Also like SilentNinja, I often get takeaway meat although I get mine from the supermarket. You really don't lose anything by guesstimating calories anyway. People hold too much stock in what is printed on packets when really - (for example) the fat content of a piece of chicken is going to vary quite wildly. Even though I have gone through phases of counting everything quite carefully - a lot of the time, if you are dealing with meat - you just have to pick an average value and apply that to everything and assume that it all averages out about right. The precise numbers aren't important - all you want to do is be consistent so you can track results.
Today's achievements:

1) Went for a run, even though it was the absolute last thing I felt like doing at 6.45 this morning. I got so close to switching off my alarm, but I forced myself to go (and naturally felt better for it)

2) Didn't buy anything from the cafe/Tesco/Gregg's during my lunchbreak. I've developed an unfortunate habit of picking up extras during my break (despite bringing lunch with me) because all my friends do, but today I resisted :smile: This is more of a money saving measure than a health one, but still, considering what I'd get is generally junk food, it's win-win.
I'm starting to struggle a bit with the food. The last few days I just don't feel like eating much and it also looks like I may have to increase calories a bit more as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
It's 7.30am and I'm going swimming :biggrin:
New dress! I think this shall be my LBD :smile:.

It's a size 10. Also bought a jumper in SIZE 6! I'm trying to build up my wardrobe now, as I'm finally pretty much at the size I'm sticking at, give or take a couple of pounds.

Anyway.

Spoiler

Today: went back to MFP. It's hard to stick to, but I think it will really help. (A user from here helped me make that decision, so thanks).

Breakfast: porridge with half a banana and raisins.
Gym: General programme - 30 mins of cardio and 30 mins of weights.
Lunch: Tuna sandwhich and small pot of fruit from Pret
Dinner: Who the hell knows... I will edit the post when I've had it. I'm not cooking tonight.
Reply 73
I've lost 4lbs this week!
yay that's 22lbs altogether and I've lost 10% of my body weight

So happy/pleased/proud of myself. I'm going for a Universal Contour Body wrap for a good ol' detox and a bit of a treat for myself :smile:
Hii, could i join in with the new thread, i know i posted a couple of times before in the previous thread but need to be serious this time and have people hold me accountable! Im 5'2 and currently weight 12 stone 7, so pretty big! I lost about a stone earlier this year, but have been unwell and piled even more back on, and suffering from depression and i think my weight is a big factor :frown: im hopeing to lose 3 stone 7 pounds overall but have set myself a goal of at least a stone by my birthday in february and hopefully this time i can keep it up :smile:
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
New dress! I think this shall be my LBD :smile:.

It's a size 10. Also bought a jumper in SIZE 6! I'm trying to build up my wardrobe now, as I'm finally pretty much at the size I'm sticking at, give or take a couple of pounds.

Anyway.

Spoiler

I know I have said this 1million times but your waist looks so tiny in that dress and the dress gives you an hourglass look

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
My sleeping schedule's a bit out of whack but I'm aiming to go to the gym tomorrow afternoon and stick to the food I've bought! My meals this week are gonna consist mainly of pancakes, steak and vegetables, and low-carb pizza.

Made some delicious parsnips the other day :smile: I've been working through the low-carb options in a diabetic cookbook I've had since 2007, and there's a recipe for Orange and Honey Parsnips in there... parsnips always remind me of Christmas, it was so good!

Also I'm pretty happy... my friend took a photo of me on a night out this weekend and it really highlights how much weight I've lost :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I've come crawling back!

Everything has changed and I'm very confused.

I've put on a bit of weight since I was last here. I managed to get to 127-130lbs but since starting uni and just generally being a bit hectic I've gone up to 134. Also I haven't been exercising as much recently, I stopped running after my half marathon due to my knee and just haven't been able to run properly since :frown: And I know it's an excuse, but I genuinely don't seem to have time or energy for gym like I used to! I'm trying to go once or twice a week at least but have to say I'm struggling. Tonight for example, had good intentions but I just feel so knackered.

Anyway, I need some help and motivation. I'm getting a bit down about the weight creeping back on and starting to feel a little uncomfortable in myself again. I need some TSR lovin! :frown:
Reply 78
Original post by Yellow-nutshell
I've come crawling back!

Everything has changed and I'm very confused.

I've put on a bit of weight since I was last here. I managed to get to 127-130lbs but since starting uni and just generally being a bit hectic I've gone up to 134. Also I haven't been exercising as much recently, I stopped running after my half marathon due to my knee and just haven't been able to run properly since :frown: And I know it's an excuse, but I genuinely don't seem to have time or energy for gym like I used to! I'm trying to go once or twice a week at least but have to say I'm struggling. Tonight for example, had good intentions but I just feel so knackered.

Anyway, I need some help and motivation. I'm getting a bit down about the weight creeping back on and starting to feel a little uncomfortable in myself again. I need some TSR lovin! :frown:

Although its annoying, in the grand scheme of things 4 pounds isn't too much to worry about, you can lose that in no time once you start watching things again! With exercising you might find you have more energy once you're exercising regularly again? Although it doesn't make much sense I definitely feel I have more energy generally (possibly partly because I sleep better?) if I've been exercising.
Right so let's just call today my thanksgiving...we were given these huge plates that you'd normally share between about 4 people as a tapas dish. A PLATE EACH. These were the most enormous things, could barely eat it, only ate about half but tried everything on the plate. It was kinda like a spanish fry up - 2x sausages, 2x eggs, spanish ham, potatoes, peppers, 4 pieces of cheese, spanish black pudding and so much grease. Had bread and olives before this too! Had probably a bit more than half of what I was given.

On a totally unrelated note, I feel like **** now, I just want my ****ing wages.

Quick Reply

Latest