The Student Room Group

Healthy New You: Your Change For Life #3

Scroll to see replies

Definitely just had chocolate for breakfast. After my horrendous Christmas trip to A&E yesterday morning I'm definitely feeling another day of Christmas food!

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by linney
What an awful start to the morning. For the past year on and off sometimes when I run I get the most debilitating stomach cramps. These aren't stitches and feel like period pain only about 40x worse. They were so bad today I was actually physically sick on the side of the road and had to lie down in a field on my route until they passed. I've been to the doc who did a scan and couldn't see anything wrong so he assumed it was just something that would pass. It's gotten me so, so down - I can't do the one thing I really love and feel like such a failure :frown:

BLEH. Sorry for that. Hope you enjoy the buffet tho Flo!

Oh no, you poor thing :hugs: That sounds horrible. Might be worth going back to the Doctors for a second opinion/to say that it's getting worse not better? Really hope it gets sorted soon. :hugs:
Original post by outlaw-torn
Definitely just had chocolate for breakfast. After my horrendous Christmas trip to A&E yesterday morning I'm definitely feeling another day of Christmas food!

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eeek, A&E? Hope you're ok :hugs:

-----

Grandparents are coming. Yays :biggrin: It wouldn't be Boxing Day without silly games and a buffet.

Going to try and go a bit easier on the alcohol today - I felt fine this morning, but I dread to think how many calories I consumed in alcohol alone. We've got some really tasty Spiced Berry cordial and some sparkling water, so I'll be alternating glasses of wine with glasses of that I think.
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];40708699']Oh no, you poor thing :hugs: That sounds horrible. Might be worth going back to the Doctors for a second opinion/to say that it's getting worse not better? Really hope it gets sorted soon. :hugs:

Eeek, A&E? Hope you're ok :hugs:

-----

Grandparents are coming. Yays :biggrin: It wouldn't be Boxing Day without silly games and a buffet.

Going to try and go a bit easier on the alcohol today - I felt fine this morning, but I dread to think how many calories I consumed in alcohol alone. We've got some really tasty Spiced Berry cordial and some sparkling water, so I'll be alternating glasses of wine with glasses of that I think.

Stupid me tried splitting my dogs up when they were mildly fighting over a treat - cue my arm being bitten twice! On antibiotics, spent yesterday with an iodine soaked dressing on my arm and now I'm dosed up on ibuprofen and paracetamol :tongue: luckily the bites aren't as bad as they could have been, but it isn't nice having a swollen arm and two epic bruises!

Not sure what we're doing about the dogs. The one who bit me is pregnant and almost ready to have them which made her more hormonal, but I think we are going to get rid of our other dog unfortunately - our original dog is very territorial because of him and we know she wouldn't have bit me if he wasn't there. Plus I shouldn't have stuck my arm in the middle of it all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stupid me tried splitting my dogs up when they were mildly fighting over a treat - cue my arm being bitten twice! On antibiotics, spent yesterday with an iodine soaked dressing on my arm and now I'm dosed up on ibuprofen and paracetamol :tongue: luckily the bites aren't as bad as they could have been, but it isn't nice having a swollen arm and two epic bruises!

Not sure what we're doing about the dogs. The one who bit me is pregnant and almost ready to have them which made her more hormonal, but I think we are going to get rid of our other dog unfortunately - our original dog is very territorial because of him and we know she wouldn't have bit me if he wasn't there. Plus I shouldn't have stuck my arm in the middle of it all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eeek, that sounds fairly traumatic :frown: Glad it's not too serious though :smile:
Seriously need to get on the cross trainer today but SO NOT feeling it!!

Ate a decent amount yday, maybe a little too much. Even had some icecream. Enjoyable anyway so no regrets :smile:
I've done the first podcast of the Couch to 5K twice now. :smile: I know it doesn't seem like much (and you're all probably super brilliant runners :P), but I really didn't think I could run the length of myself without having to be scraped off the pavement, and I'm just quite proud that I've managed it :smile:
Original post by Catherine.
I've done the first podcast of the Couch to 5K twice now. :smile: I know it doesn't seem like much (and you're all probably super brilliant runners :P), but I really didn't think I could run the length of myself without having to be scraped off the pavement, and I'm just quite proud that I've managed it :smile:

We all struggled to get to the end of our street at some point!

Keep it up.

I haven't been for one yet, depending on whether I go the pub or not I might leave it for tomorrow and just have a long one.
I've done it and decided to create a lifestyle blog, kinda scared tbh due to the other being closed when trolls when on an insulting spree :eek:
Reply 1388

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's extremely weird - my friend had to drive someone to hospital yesterday morning because he tried to separate two dogs fighting over a treat and got bitten too. Maybe Christmas makes dogs grumpy...
Original post by conway!
That's extremely weird - my friend had to drive someone to hospital yesterday morning because he tried to separate two dogs fighting over a treat and got bitten too. Maybe Christmas makes dogs grumpy...

Really?! That's so weird! I hope he's okay too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wanted to do the Wii today but because I'm a really silly 21 year old, there's a spider in the living room and I'm scared of them, so I decided to go for a jog instead.
I wouldn't say it was a complete failure for my (I think) first attempt, I think I was out for like 15 minutes, I only jogged for about three or four of those minutes altogether and had to walk fast for the rest of the time. Totally exhausted now, and even though I've got that really fast and sore heart beat (You know the one you would get when you're a kid when you were jumpin about too much?) I'm glad I went out and did some proper exercise, even if I didn't exactly do it right and got soaked.
Wednesdays are my weigh days and I lost 1.5lbs this week! I know I had an upset stomach but I also had turkey salad yesterday rather than christmas dinner and went for a 45 minute run :smile: yay!
(edited 11 years ago)
Oh man.

My 82 year old grandad can touch his toes.
My 83 year old granma (WHO’S HAD A HIP REPLACEMENT) can touch her toes.

I cannot touch my toes

:frown:

New Year's Resolution #2 - work on my flexibility.
Hello :smile:

I think I’ll maybe dip in and join this thread as the running thread’s a bit quiet these days. As a quick intro, I’m 19 and whilst my goals aren’t weight-related, I’m trying to get better at running so my diet and lifestyle could always use improvement. I started jogging/running a couple of years ago but only really got into it properly about this time last year. I’ve tried quite a few races of different lengths so I’m still trying to experiment a bit and find out which distances I prefer. This year my main goal is probably to do two marathons in May/June, but I’ll hopefully do some shorter races before then too. I’m also planning on incorporating a bit more trail running than normal into my routine and hopefully will have a go at fell running too.

To start with- today went quite well. I had a race this morning which was probably the coldest run I’ve ever attempted- I made the mistake of wearing shorts for five miles of freezing, heavy rain along a mountain-side. It went ok though I walked up most of the really hilly parts. :redface: I definitely need to do a lot more work on hills. It was quite a fun way to spend boxing day, all the same.

Hopefully I’ll stick to my training over the next few months and won’t slack off too much. I’ll try and post on the thread fairly regularly, and I’m more than happy to help out anyone who’s just beginning to run or who’s thinking of starting.
Reply 1394
Okay, so I decided I'm going to 'borrow' my dads George Forman grill thing when I go back to uni next week... anyone have any ideas for things to do with it?

Looking forward to getting back to the gym again!
Original post by Rob16
Okay, so I decided I'm going to 'borrow' my dads George Forman grill thing when I go back to uni next week... anyone have any ideas for things to do with it?

Grill?

Original post by CantThinkOfaUsername
Hello :smile:

I think I’ll maybe dip in and join this thread as the running thread’s a bit quiet these days. As a quick intro, I’m 19 and whilst my goals aren’t weight-related, I’m trying to get better at running so my diet and lifestyle could always use improvement. I started jogging/running a couple of years ago but only really got into it properly about this time last year. I’ve tried quite a few races of different lengths so I’m still trying to experiment a bit and find out which distances I prefer. This year my main goal is probably to do two marathons in May/June, but I’ll hopefully do some shorter races before then too. I’m also planning on incorporating a bit more trail running than normal into my routine and hopefully will have a go at fell running too.

To start with- today went quite well. I had a race this morning which was probably the coldest run I’ve ever attempted- I made the mistake of wearing shorts for five miles of freezing, heavy rain along a mountain-side. It went ok though I walked up most of the really hilly parts. :redface: I definitely need to do a lot more work on hills. It was quite a fun way to spend boxing day, all the same.

Hopefully I’ll stick to my training over the next few months and won’t slack off too much. I’ll try and post on the thread fairly regularly, and I’m more than happy to help out anyone who’s just beginning to run or who’s thinking of starting.

What marathons are you looking at doing?

I went for an 8 miler earlier. Wasn't going against the clock, just wanted to get out the damn house so took it easy.
Reply 1396
Original post by original_username
Grill?

-___- I meant.. anything that works particularly well grilled.
Grill?

What marathons are you looking at doing?

I went for an 8 miler earlier. Wasn't going against the clock, just wanted to get out the damn house so took it easy.

How did it go?

Belfast and this one, hopefully- it's a new race so the route isn't completely confirmed yet, but I imagine it'll be quite hilly whereas Belfast is flat.
Original post by CantThinkOfaUsername
How did it go?

Belfast and this one, hopefully- it's a new race so the route isn't completely confirmed yet, but I imagine it'll be quite hilly whereas Belfast is flat.

Oh it was fine, I can do that sort of distance comfortably at around 8:15 minute mile pace.

You're in N.I then. I've been toying with the idea of the Stratford marathon but don't know if I'd be able to do it. Looked at marathon training programmes and they're ridiculous.
[QUOTE="Rob16;40712269"]
Grill?

-___- I meant.. anything that works particularly well grilled.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I got bored of my little foreman grill quite quickly. Didn't really try out much in it other than fish and meat to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest