The Student Room Group

Healthy New You: Your Change For Life #3

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Harriet : )
Yay! Next goal hands flat on the floor? Haha! :rolleyes:

Haha, eventually! Although it might be a while, I touched my toes only after 15/20 minutes of stretching :colondollar: but I'm getting there, and now I've seen some results, I have more motivation to keep practicing.
Trying to find decent insurance quotes is driving me to cravings..

How can a Peugeot 107 from '07 cost £1,300 a year for a 28 year old with no convictions, crashes etc, who's had a clean license for 10 years? And has an underground parking space at the apartment so wouldn't be parked on the road, ever. Ridiculous!
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

How can a Peugeot 107 from '07 cost £1,300 a year for a 28 year old with no convictions, crashes etc, who's had a clean license for 10 years? And has an underground parking space at the apartment so wouldn't be parked on the road, ever. Ridiculous!

I hate insurance :frown: I passed nearly 3 years ago and I haven't driven since. I really, really want a car in September for when I start my PGCE but I just don't know if I'll be able to afford it :frown:
Original post by outlaw-torn
I hate insurance :frown: I passed nearly 3 years ago and I haven't driven since. I really, really want a car in September for when I start my PGCE but I just don't know if I'll be able to afford it :frown:

Adding my Mum as a named driver cuts it from £1,300 to £600 so we'll do that I think. It's cheaper to add ME onto his insurance, bear in mind I'm on a provisional, than it is to insure him alone. How does that make sense, I'm SURE to crash! I want a car so badly but the cost is stupid :frown:.

Edit: also here is my treat drawer haha oh goodness.

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Adding my Mum as a named driver cuts it from £1,300 to £600 so we'll do that I think. It's cheaper to add ME onto his insurance, bear in mind I'm on a provisional, than it is to insure him alone. How does that make sense, I'm SURE to crash! I want a car so badly but the cost is stupid :frown:.

Spoiler

I saw you make a post a little while ago about putting chocolate/treats into seperate bags for individual occasions and though it was such a simple but brilliant idea!! So I copied it a couple of days ago and it works so well. No more overeating on chocolate :biggrin: So nice to have self control!

Spoiler

Nice one! I must say thats a very good idea. Looks like ver delicious chocolate you got there.I might do that but put it in boxes or just one box!:top:

I heard (though I didn't personally see an article that confirms this) that it was decided that it was sexist to charge young male drivers more for their car insurance, even if it is based on the factual evidence that this catagory of driver have the most crashes and therefore the price of their insurance. So they generalised the insurance costs between young people, meaning female insurance policies have risen. Normally this probably wouldn't annoy me so much because its obviously only certain male drivers that are too fast etc, but they also tend to be the ones that claim females can't drive and raise everyone's premiums.

Anyway, best of luck finding something...
Original post by Sophie_girl
I saw you make a post a little while ago about putting chocolate/treats into seperate bags for individual occasions and though it was such a simple but brilliant idea!! So I copied it a couple of days ago and it works so well. No more overeating on chocolate :biggrin: So nice to have self control!

Original post by Armani786
Nice one! I must say thats a very good idea. Looks like ver delicious chocolate you got there.I might do that but put it in boxes or just one box!:top:

It's great, due to run out just before Easter haha.
Original post by santanista
I heard (though I didn't personally see an article that confirms this) that it was decided that it was sexist to charge young male drivers more for their car insurance, even if it is based on the factual evidence that this catagory of driver have the most crashes and therefore the price of their insurance. So they generalised the insurance costs between young people, meaning female insurance policies have risen. Normally this probably wouldn't annoy me so much because its obviously only certain male drivers that are too fast etc, but they also tend to be the ones that claim females can't drive and raise everyone's premiums.

Anyway, best of luck finding something...

Yeah that's annoyed me as well. It's my boyfriend I'm trying to insure though, and he should be relatively cheap! Got it down to £600 by adding other drivers and messing around with voluntary excess so that's a lot more manageable! Now just need him to agree to let me buy him a car, hmm..
Made overnight oats tonight - hopefully they'll turn out okay! Looking forward to seeing how they taste :biggrin: just mixed 20g of oats, 120ml almond milk, 100g Greek yoghurt, 1 sliced kiwi and a few blueberries.

Unfortunately I have lost all motivation for the gym. I did go on Saturday and was going to go today but didn't. Just out of pure laziness really, and I'm annoyed with myself.
Did 45 minutes of Zumba tonight :biggrin: for someone who only exercises from September to December during hockey season I'm so proud of myself :tongue: absolutely knackered though :lol:
Decided to join this thread as i have gained so much weight recently :frown: and i probably need to lose 10 pounds to get back to the weight i was happiest at , hopefully once i start school again after mocks pe will help with that. Meal wise im fine its the snacking inbetween that is causing all the problems :frown: i just cant help myself :redface: My target is 10 pounds by the end of march and maintain it !
Original post by sarahiscool
Decided to join this thread as i have gained so much weight recently :frown: and i probably need to lose 10 pounds to get back to the weight i was happiest at , hopefully once i start school again after mocks pe will help with that. Meal wise im fine its the snacking inbetween that is causing all the problems :frown: i just cant help myself :redface: My target is 10 pounds by the end of march and maintain it !

Welcome to the thread! :h:
Reply 1793
Yeah that's annoyed me as well. It's my boyfriend I'm trying to insure though, and he should be relatively cheap! Got it down to £600 by adding other drivers and messing around with voluntary excess so that's a lot more manageable! Now just need him to agree to let me buy him a car, hmm..

Are you putting another person as the main or the named driver? Just wondering, because I knew someone whose mum already had a car, but he bought one, called her the main driver and made himself the named driver. He had to claim and then the company used the fact that she already had a car as proof she wasn't the "main" driver and managed not to have to pay out, and technically because he'd lied he was never actually insured legally.
In most circumstances I'd think screw the insurance company and do what you want, but unfortunately they seem to catch people at this now :tongue:
Reply 1794

Welcome to the thread!

------

Dinner last night was actually okay! I had butternut squash ravioli (I ate about 3/4 of it and there were only like 7 pieces of ravioli anyway...) with some roasted veg, side salad no dressing, a couple of pieces of breaded courgette (like chips :biggrin: ) and a mouthful of lemon polenta cake. I was also picking a little at popcorn but I know I probably ate 800ish which is bang on what I wanted, and was very restrained for me :tongue:

Welcome :smile:. I hope you manage to reach your goals, here is a good place to be as everyone is so friendly! :biggrin: I wouldn't have managed anything with out them, so you're in good hands.

Original post by conway!
Are you putting another person as the main or the named driver? Just wondering, because I knew someone whose mum already had a car, but he bought one, called her the main driver and made himself the named driver. He had to claim and then the company used the fact that she already had a car as proof she wasn't the "main" driver and managed not to have to pay out, and technically because he'd lied he was never actually insured legally.
In most circumstances I'd think screw the insurance company and do what you want, but unfortunately they seem to catch people at this now :tongue:

Only as a named driver, I wouldn't want to do anything illegal, I'm too much of a wimp. Mum always likes to be insured on another car "just incase", and at the moment it's my Grandad's, but she did say she'd switch to mine if it would help us.. and it looks like it would. So I think it's all good and legal :biggrin:.

--
Back to normal today. Kids back at school, which means I'm back to teaching again after a wonderfully quiet and relaxing Christmas break!

Also going to meet up with a friend who I haven't seen for a while later. Very excited about it, but going to a Chinese, so will have to be careful. Then staying at boyfriend's, so I'm taking some healthy food with me so I don't have to end up eating any of his crap.

He's made a resolution to lose weight again, which I'm thrilled about because of his diabetes. I don't know how long it will last, but he's managed to lose 2lbs so far (he gained 8 over Christmas) and I'm hoping this loss helps him to keep going.

He said "why don't I join the group you're always talking about, maybe it could help me?" I decided to use the "because you're not a student" excuse (neither am I haha) rather than "I bitch about you too much, sorry!"

Welcome :smile:

----

Been for a run. Feels good :biggrin:
Hit the 10s!

Wasn't actually goig to weigh myself today but I went on the wii and did the body test. It says I'm 10 13 :biggrin: but then our scales said 10 13.8 which is a bit of a bummer. Love you wii...
Reply 1798
2 and a half lbs off this week, so that means I'm in the 14s :biggrin: :eek: :biggrin: Only at 14st 12 3/4lb mind you, but still :biggrin:

Anyone else's scales measure ounces or quarter/half/3 quarters? I find it quite unnecessary and annoying tbh, but oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by infairverona
Hit the 10s!

Wasn't actually goig to weigh myself today but I went on the wii and did the body test. It says I'm 10 13 :biggrin: but then our scales said 10 13.8 which is a bit of a bummer. Love you wii...

Well done you, that's great! You're officially lighter than me haha stupid bloody Christmas. It just comes and takes over our life, then leaves us with loads of weight and debt!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest