The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I haven't visited any other investment bank building but I thought that it was quite nice. Nothing incredible, but still a very nice place to work.
Reply 2
Thats what i was thinking - it is nice but nothing compared to some of the things ive heard about other investment banks. However it is the only bank ive seen with 2 security guards at 630pm, even though they dont even hold cash on premises.
Reply 3
nbooker999
Has anyone here been to the building at Peterborough Court, Fleet Street?
If so what were your impressions?

Hi,

I was lucky enough to have been to both the River Court and Newgate Street GS locations. I've even been to the foreign currency and expense payment area in the bowels of Peterborough Court! Didnt see the rest of it though.

Newgate Street is where Private Wealth Management is located and accordingly the offices are pretty swish. Its a relatively new building with lots of glass and open spaces. The decor is really flash and looks like some kind of designer Swedish log cabin!

River Court i think ued to be the old Telegraph headquarters although it may be Peterborough Court that has that claim to fame. Anyway, when i got into River Court i had to ask someone whether i was in the right place because there is absolutely no indication that its a GS office, i.e. no names on walls and no names behind reception or on people's name tags. Inside its quite nice, although i did only see one floor. Again the decor is top notch and the offices have loads of light flooding through.

I only managed to briefly visit Peterborough Court. Now that is an impressive location. I especially liked the private parking area in what seems like the middle of the building that has doors that open for you by men in long coats. Theres a mini escalator that goes up to the 1st floor, or whatever it is, as you go past reception. Thats about as far as i got as i was only going to collect expenses! I saw the travel care centre and the foreign currency exchange office. Now that was a bit naff with no nice decor and the people in the offices looked like they were caged in.

I much prefer the GS locations in the city as opposed to Canary Wharf, which is a buggar to get to and just looks like a big concrete jungle with a kind of pseudo late eighties feel about the place. I was itching to put on some braces and a blue pin striped shirt and slick my hair back!
Reply 4
I had a meeting on the 10th (and top) floor and i must say the view was pretty impressive from up there.
nbooker999
Has anyone here been to the building at Peterborough Court, Fleet Street?
If so what were your impressions?

"Yet another investment bank office" but quite small.

Nothing in the decor that is particularly standout and I've been a few times, including when they were have a parents and children day so the glass fountain had 'Welcome to the Chocolate Factory' stuck onto it, a clown was walking around and a Fisher Price red/yellow car was holding a door open.

On the trading floor, a kid about 4 years old was sitting on a terminal with tiger facepaint. Wonder what would have happened if he had randomly bashed buttons...

I generally think the Fleet Street location is pants though.

Nice conference room but to be fair, you won't use it much on the job... it has "UN style seating".
Reply 6
One of the coolest buildings in London is the Lloyds building.
Here's a page with some cool pictures: http://www.emporis.com/en/il/pc/?id=110694&aid=8

I also really like the Citigroup building.
Citigroup Centre is so Canary Wharf (plastic/artifical pap)

Nice to see every so often, but stale to live work in.

I've generally been less than impressed by bank offices. They could learn a lot from other places which aren't so... stuffy. Google have a great London office for example (near Victoria). I just feel a lot of bank offices have been made someone who had some amount of their humanity sucked right out of them. Some places are a bit better. Morgan Stanley apply some wood to their trading floor on the panelling rather than having the bear plastic/whitewash concrete you see in most other places. They have a reasonably sparky canteen etc. DB is covered in modern art. Mind, you're losing the plot a bit if you pick a bank for the decorative environment.
President_Ben
Citigroup Centre is so Canary Wharf (plastic/artifical pap)

Nice to see every so often, but stale to live work in.
DB is covered in modern art. Mind, you're losing the plot a bit if you pick a bank for the decorative environment.

Yeah, Bear Stearns was pretty crap tbh. The spaces and corridors between rooms were better than the rooms themselves.

DB was much better, the big metal 'ball' in the foyet was intriguing, but they had a broschure specifically about their artwork- a bit ott methinks.
DB really love their modern art. Think they have the largest private collection of the stuff in the world... and from a more £££ perspective, it has turned out to be a reasonably decent (albeit, illiquid) investment too.
I love the entrance to the Lehman Brothers building in New York:

Reply 11
LBC213
I love the entrance to the Lehman Brothers building in New York:

Perhaps a bit flashy ?
Johan C
Perhaps a bit flashy ?

It's very New York. Which I don't like, though I can see why others might.
plastic pap.... heh...
love that description of the Citigroup Centre.
I actually prefer the HSBC building.

Unfortunately I heard that the trading floor at Citi isn't very high up, so you don't even get the view of London (low flying planes apparently). Could be an spun yarn though.
It's on the 2 and 3 floors. Doesn't take you as long to get your desks. Can use the escalators instead of the lifts...
Reply 15
Goldman Sachs New York is a dump. It's the most important building in Lower Manhattan and you can't even see it from the touristy boat trip:biggrin:
the most important building in Lower Manhattan

NB: As if...
Reply 17
it's so important that there's another building in reserve, in case anything bad happens...
coughsyrup
it's so important that there's another building in reserve, in case anything bad happens...

Most reasonably large companies have that. And I really do mean most.
Reply 19
alright, alright. I quote Frank
"If I can make it there, I can make it anywhere... New York, New York"
If you make it at Goldman Sachs New York that really is true:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending