The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I thought the riverside office inside was awesome. That waterfall kind of thing and the rock climbing section in the gym :biggrin:
People don't seem to realise, investment banking isn't the top of the finance tree (for pay at least and probably prestige). Just that hedge funds and private equity firms don't recruit graduates (in any significant number or through publicised routes).
I'd far rather work at Google than any IB... it's just far harder to get a decent placement because it's one company as opposed to God knows how many banks.
Reply 23
fuglyduckling
I'd far rather work at Google than any IB... it's just far harder to get a decent placement because it's one company as opposed to God knows how many banks.

Everyone's obsessed with Google, and I still can't fathom why... :confused:

Everyone's obsessed with Google, and I still can't fathom why..

Because Sergey Brin and Larry Page made $13bn each for writing a programme.
Reply 25
LBC213
Because Sergey Brin and Larry Page made $13bn each for writing a programme.

Wow ! Didn't know that. Still, you think it's the only reason ? I mean, lods of undergrads dream of working for Google but to me it's quite simply overvalued.
Wow ! Didn't know that. Still, you think it's the only reason ? I mean, lods of undergrads dream of working for Google but to me it's quite simply overvalued.

The culture there is probably one of the best offered by any employer.

1) Its very informal - 1 of their philosophies is you do not have to wear a suit to be serious.

2) The atmosphere is quite playful/child like, speaking of which I think they provide free onsite child care. They also hire expensive chefs to cook for the cafeteria which is also free I think.

3) They pay probably the highest salary for people wanting to work in this sector.

4) They have a rule that they don't hire anyone over the age of 35 or something like that, so young people are giving better career progression than most other similar companies.

5) Their bosses drive a Toyota Prius and rent a small flat. They also mingle with the employees despite being one of the richest men on the planet.

6) Theres a hockey match in the car park twice a week, as per tradition started by Sergey and Larry.

7) All employees are allowed to do projects that they like/find interesting for a quarter of their working hours.

These are all the ones I know, I'm sure theres more. So for someone not willing to become a corporate whore but still making decent money and having fun at the same time, Google is one of the best companies in the world to work for. Sorry to sound like a Google recruitment campaign.
Reply 27
I know where I've seen this before! The Simpsons! Do they conduct Spectre style wars from the basement too?
I didn't think Google actually paid that well? Precisely the opposite in fact. Their guys from before the IPO did alright, because they had part ownership in the firm, but new hires I think are on the low end of Silicon Valley wages.
Google have a somewhat 'old school Japanese' employment model though. Once hired by them, it is virtually still 'a job for life' and they take care of almost everything with services for your non-working life to make your working life more productive. No stress of things in the outside world to deal with.

Right down to making sure your bills get paid and kids picked up from school etc.
Johan C
Everyone's obsessed with Google, and I still can't fathom why... :confused:

For me:

1) It's the best in the world at what it does;
2) You are surrounded by amazing people: professors; MBAs; hackers;
3) Amazing corporate environs... they have on-site clothes washing facilities, free lunches, ski hols and 20% time for engineers to work on their own projects;
4) It's an interesting, fun, cool, and innovative company that is literally making history and re-defining its industry.
Reply 31
hmm its all in the name...
just rolls of ur tounge..."google it"
I really like canary wharf. There is something so peaceful about the east india quay. I used to dislike it, but ever since that amazing tube station and other towers were built i have come to love it. I can imagine working there.

Latest

Trending

Trending