The Student Room Group

In One Ear's Strong Lifts blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by silent ninja
I'm gonna measure my arms but I think they're 14"

Edit: they're 15"! I guess they've grown more than I thought

I was gonna say. Out of curiosity I checked and mine are 14". I'm reasonably lean and they look fairly normal. I've never done a DB curl or tricep extension in my life though (or tried to gain size). We're the same height (5'9"?) and I remember your arms looking way bigger than mine in your pics, so it makes sense that they're 15".
Original post by TooEasy123
I was gonna say. Out of curiosity I checked and mine are 14". I'm reasonably lean and they look fairly normal. I've never done a DB curl or tricep extension in my life though (or tried to gain size). We're the same height (5'9"?) and I remember your arms looking way bigger than mine in your pics, so it makes sense that they're 15".

They were 14" around 6 months ago. I love training triceps. You should try it. The inner bro demands arm training! :wink:

Sent from my HTC One
Reply 382
They were 14" around 6 months ago. I love training triceps. You should try it. The inner bro demands arm training! :wink:

Sent from my HTC One

Wow thats very rapid progress!
Original post by In One Ear
Wow thats very rapid progress!

Curls for the girls :wink:

Sent from my HTC One
Reply 384
Curls for the girls :wink:

Sent from my HTC One

Good muscle building genetics I guess. My triceps are pretty small though and don't seem to grow well from compounds...maybe I should try some tricep isolation exercises since I never actually do them.
Good muscle building genetics I guess. My triceps are pretty small though and don't seem to grow well from compounds...maybe I should try some tricep isolation exercises since I never actually do them.

Mate overhead extensions are brilliant. I love doing them with a heavy dumbell, but you can use an EZ bar. Ideally a low chair for back support (a high back rest will catch the dumbell behind your neck). I got a gym friend who deadlifts 200 and squats 160 and weighs 10.5st (so not a newb) to do them last week. He had DOMS most of the week lol Epic pump every time, even better tricep pump than dips.

Sent from my HTC One
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 386
Mate overhead extensions are brilliant. I love doing them with a heavy dumbell, but you can use an EZ bar. Ideally a low chair for back support (a high back rest will catch the dumbell behind your neck). I got a gym friend who deadlifts 200 and squats 160 and weighs 10.5st (so not a newb) to do them last week. He had DOMS most of the week lol Epic pump every time, even better tricep pump than dips.

Sent from my HTC One

With one dumbbell or two? I think they are a terrible exercise with two dumbbells and do nothing for me but the one or two times I tried it with a single dumbbell held by both arms I really liked it as an exercise...also what sort of RoM do you use?
With one dumbbell or two? I think they are a terrible exercise with two dumbbells and do nothing for me but the one or two times I tried it with a single dumbbell held by both arms I really liked it as an exercise...also what sort of RoM do you use?

One dumbell. Below parallel if possible. You'll feel the stretch at your shoulder joint. Without back support it's difficult to go heavy. A 20kg dumbell will do nothing for you but you may wanna start light to practise getting it up without a spotter. I throw it up on my shoulder.

Sent from my HTC One
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 388
Today:

Handstand pushups RoM reduced 2 inches

1x8f **** it went backwards again, just gonna increase the RoM as I seem to really struggle with progress when reps go above 8.

Chinups

archer chinups
5,5 (x either side dominant)

Some more pullups/chinups wasn't really counting.

Bench press

40kg 1x10
60kg 1x6
70kg 1x5
80kg 1x2
85kg 1x5 (5RM PB)

Incline dumbbell bench

30kgs 2x8

Front squats

50kg 1x5
60kg 1x5
70kg 1x5
80kg 1x5

Some curls/bodyweight tricep extensions/ab work etc to finish.
Reply 389
Today:

Handstand pushups RoM reduced 1.25 inches

1x6

Chinups

archer chinups
5 each side

chinups

+some pullups...

OHP

15kg 1x10
35kg 1x8
50kg 1x7

push press
60kg 1x7

Deadlifts

60kg 1x10
100kg 1x5
120kg 1x5
140kg 1x3
157.5kg 1x5 (5RM PB but felt heavy today)

Bent over barbell rows
70kg 5
60kg 9,9

Some arnold presses
like 18kg* 10,9,8 really slow and controlled

lateral raises

Incline bench press

Either 40kg or 45kg 1x10
Either 50kg or 55kg 5x5 (don't know weight of bar)

Didn't hurt my shoulders at all today. Strangely I have a massive weak point about 4-5 inches off my chest on the incline, the rest of the movement was piss easy at this weight but I just suddenly lost all power in this section (and regained it above that level)....guessing this is where the chest really takes over from the front deltoids and my upper chest is lagging so maybe that explains it? Certainly felt like I was actually working my upper chest which I never feel with Incline Dbs/flat BB. Once I hit 100kg on flat I'm gonna switch over to incline barbell and try to get up to 100kg again, maybe with one strength set on flat to maintain strength.

Some curls/bodyweight tricep extensions.
(edited 10 years ago)
I hit a sticking point about 50% way up on bench too. I think it's the transition from chest to triceps or something. It's a bit similar to the forehead area on OHP.

My incline is ~10kg behind my flat. When one goes up do does the other.

You can row more than 70. Were you being lazy? :tongue:

Sent from my HTC One
Reply 391
I hit a sticking point about 50% way up on bench too. I think it's the transition from chest to triceps or something. It's a bit similar to the forehead area on OHP.

My incline is ~10kg behind my flat. When one goes up do does the other.

You can row more than 70. Were you being lazy? :tongue:

Sent from my HTC One

Most people do have a sticking point, but on flat my "sticking point" isn't that much weaker than the rest of my RoM but on the incline at about 20% of the way up I lose SO MUCH strength its unreal. Some real work to be done here! I would say my incline is ~25kg behind my flat lol ( I can seemingly do much more on incline dumbbells than incline barbell...)

@The rows- heavy deadlifts have a way of taking it out of subsequent back exercises :wink:. Plus yes I was lazy and prefer to feel a nice stretch at bottom and squeeze at the top with BoBRs... :tongue:
Half squats/quarters squats is all day every day in my gym...and they always have a mate telling them that their depth is good etc :/. Sometimes I go a whole session watching 10+ people squat and not one is remotely good...

feels

watch me

then you'll see the master at work

what do you wear to the gym? the same thing every time?
Reply 393
Original post by tehforum
feels

watch me

then you'll see the master at work

what do you wear to the gym? the same thing every time?

Ya, only got one pair of sporty shorts atm (basketball shorts) and I wear the same tank top all the time. Why, think you have worked out who I am? :tongue:
Ya, only got one pair of sporty shorts atm (basketball shorts) and I wear the same tank top all the time. Why, think you have worked out who I am? :tongue:

any particular design on the tank top?

I want to know so I can give you a signal if I see in the gym on Saturday? or any other time
Reply 395
any particular design on the tank top?

I want to know so I can give you a signal if I see in the gym on Saturday? or any other time

The shorts have Nike Elite written on the front in white and are a dark blue otherwise, the tank top is black, no design and is partially ripped on the left shoulder strap (lol).

I'm not in the habit of going to the gym on Saturday though...are you going tomorrow?
Brb staring at mens crotches

Nah I went today

Next weekday will be monday!
The shorts have Nike Elite written on the front in white and are a dark blue otherwise, the tank top is black, no design and is partially ripped on the left shoulder strap (lol).

I'm not in the habit of going to the gym on Saturday though...are you going tomorrow?
Reply 397
Brb staring at mens crotches

Nah I went today

Next weekday will be monday!

Ya but you are going at an ungodly hour right?? :s
Ya but you are going at an ungodly hour right?? :s

It is a possibility. .

Depends on whether ive fixed my sleeping pattern
Reply 399
It is a possibility. .

Depends on whether ive fixed my sleeping pattern

Don't fix it...got at a normal hour then we can meet up for the lulz.

Quick Reply

Latest