The Student Room Group

In One Ear's Strong Lifts blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by In One Ear
Bit of a disastrous session today! Either the incline press I started with fried my delts and triceps way more than I realised or my 24 fast whilst revising like a mad man resulted in the catabolism of a good kilo of muscle :biggrin:.

Today:

Incline bench press

40kg 10
60kg 5
70kg 5
65kg 7
60kg 7

OHP

55kg 3 FML
50kg 5 FML some more
45kg 7 :/

Skullcrushers

ez-bar +20kg *7,5
+17.5kg *7

(Down from +20kg *10,10,9!!!)

Lateral raises 8kg Dbs*15 +5 rest pause sets tagged on the end

Facepulls

22.5kg *12,12

Calf raises 3 sets to failure

Squats 65kg for 10 for fun.

Also had big issues with my right side firing much more strongly with the barbell work which wasn't ideal.

you know.
Your incline isn't that bad. You're what, 15kg off your flat? That's normal

Sent from my HTC One
Reply 582
Original post by silent ninja
Your incline isn't that bad. You're what, 15kg off your flat? That's normal

Sent from my HTC One

About 17.5kg difference in 5RM yeah i.e. ~80% of my flat. Thats not terrible I guess but perhaps a little weak? Still it mainly just feels depressing/humbling to have the drop the weight from closer to 100 than 60 to only 10 more than 60 for the first set for reps then struggling with just 1 plate by the third set! Still, if I can gradually work up to 100*5 for the incline I'll know I'll have gotten pretty strong!

Mainly I was just shocked at how badly I did at the OHP/skulls afterwards!
Reply 583
Another pretty ****ty session today. Working out after 14-15 hours fasting and eating 800-1000 calories under maintenance the days before my last two work outs is clearly not a winning strategy lol. Once this mad exam/essay spree is over I will shift to training a couple of hours after a small meal as I do not cope well with fasted training. Just makes me feel a bit ill and light headed and my strength begins to plummet after a few sets.

Today:

Weighted chins

BW 5
+10kg 3 These were so ridiculously easy I was feeling very confident for my max set.
+30kg 4 -.- (4RM PB)

Got stuck with my chin 1 inch under the bar on rep 5 so not counting it! This never happens. Problem is the only straight bar at the uni gym is a fair bit thicker than a normal pullup bar and after a couple of reps I could feel my grip slipping and this didn't allow me to pull with all my potential. I'm sure on my regular bar I'd still have got 5.

Decided to go do hammer grips afterwards because the grip is better on those but that didn't go well either lol.

Hammer grip pullups
+15kg 7 lol
+5kg 6 Ouch :/

For some reason my biceps were just shattered from the +30kg set on the thick bar and I was failing at the top of my reps.

Deadlifts

60kg 10
100kg 5

Straps

140kg 3
160kg 1
167.5kg 5 (5RM PB)
150kg 8

Bent over barbell rows

60kg *10,9,8

3 sets leg raises+flutter kicks to failure

Alternating dumbbell curls

20kg Dbs *7 (a whole 3 reps under my best with half a kilo more)

Alternating dumbbell curls

16kg Dbs *7,5 or something **** (4 reps under pb with half a kilo more...)

Pretty crummy session tbh. Oh well, can't have the good without the bad. Well you can, but thats just being greedy :tongue:.
I've done fasted training before.. I have exactly the same feeling of dizzyness and the desire to vom lol

You're becoming like me... complaining despite PRs :tongue:
Original post by Angry cucumber
I've done fasted training before.. I have exactly the same feeling of dizzyness and the desire to vom lol

Is that a polite way of calling him a bitch lol

Sent from my HTC One
Original post by silent ninja
Is that a polite way of calling him a bitch lol

Sent from my HTC One

lol If that was a polite way of calling him a bitch that makes me one.... :wink:
Reply 587
Original post by Angry cucumber

Neither were real PRs though!

Had +27.5kg for 6 and then get +30kg for 4...thats definitely going backwards!! Only calling it a PR as I'm tracking 4-6RMs for my top set and technically have never lifted more weight for 4...Should have been good for 5 easily though!

Equally over the break I worked up to 165.5kg*6 1 inch deficit deads...thats gotta be close to 175*5 regular deads! If I'd failed 167.5kg for 5 I'd have cried and quit lifting on the spot :tongue:.
Reply 588
Today:

Chinups

BW 5
+10kg 3
+30kg 5 (5RM PB)
+15kg 8f Got a bit greedy there but nearly had the 9th rep
+5kg 7f If I hadn't wasted an energy failing a rep the set before would probably have gotten 8!

Took my gloves of this time and chalked up, no grip issues!

OHP

35kg 6
50kg 3
60kg 5 (Comfortable- probably could have gotten a 6th if I'd really wanted it and did it completely un-psyched this time!)
55kg 6
50kg 6

My back was literally on fire after chins and OHP so didn't even bother doing some rows as had planned...

Cross body incline cable press, 2 sets per side

Lateral raises, 8kg Dbs- 1 activation set +5 rest/pause mini-sets

2 sets leg raises to failure

1 set facepulls to failure.

Pretty decent session. Also been eating heavily reduced calories these past 6 days and I seemed to have leaned out a bit already which is encouraging!
Today:

Chinups

BW 5
+10kg 3
+30kg 5 (5RM PB)
+15kg 8f Got a bit greedy there but nearly had the 9th rep
+5kg 7f If I hadn't wasted an energy failing a rep the set before would probably have gotten 8!

Took my gloves of this time and chalked up, no grip issues!

OHP

35kg 6
50kg 3
60kg 5 (Comfortable- probably could have gotten a 6th if I'd really wanted it and did it completely un-psyched this time!)
55kg 6
50kg 6

My back was literally on fire after chins and OHP so didn't even bother doing some rows as had planned...

Cross body incline cable press, 2 sets per side

Lateral raises, 8kg Dbs- 1 activation set +5 rest/pause mini-sets

2 sets leg raises to failure

1 set facepulls to failure.

Pretty decent session. Also been eating heavily reduced calories these past 6 days and I seemed to have leaned out a bit already which is encouraging!

Nice chins, are you doing them from dead hang or like 3/4 rom?
Reply 590
Original post by Appeal to reason
Nice chins, are you doing them from dead hang or like 3/4 rom?

Dead hang and pulled properly over the bar...not this **** where people stick their chin up and barely scrape the bar then only drop half way down lol.
Dead hang and pulled properly over the bar...not this **** where people stick their chin up and barely scrape the bar then only drop half way down lol.

Even more impressive. I had intended to start adding weight to my chins and dips this term, but it'll have to wait a couple more weeks.
Original post by Appeal to reason
Even more impressive. I had intended to start adding weight to my chins and dips this term, but it'll have to wait a couple more weeks.

Dips should be much easier to add weight to, I'd be surprised if you couldn't add 5-10kg and still get 5-8 reps.
Reply 593
How much are you pulling in the picture? Looks good!
Reply 594
Original post by Thiseas
How much are you pulling in the picture? Looks good!

It was 200kg which I did at 79kg BW. Should be good for ~210kg now but I haven't maxed since then!
Reply 595
Today:

Deadlifts

60kg 10
100kg 5
140kg 3
160kg 1
170kg 5 (5RM PB)
150kg 6

T-bar rows 1 set to failure

Chinups

BW 10

Incline chest press machine

3 feeler sets, 1 set to failure 95kg*7

shoulder press machine

1 feeler set, 1 set to failure 80kg *8

OHP

45kg 10

Behind the neck

47.5kg 5

E-Z bar curls

35kg+bar *7

Machine row

few feeler reps up to 105kg*5

Skullcrushers

ez bar+22.5kg 8
+20kg 7
+15kg 10

Dumbbell curls (alternating)
20kg*8

Supinated curls
15kg two sets (cant remember reps)

Hack squat machine
1 feeler set
1 set to failure 95kg *something high

Tried a new gym closer to my house. Nice machines but ****ty free weights area, didn't like the atmosphere, shan't be going again!

One benefit about trying the new gym was it had full mirrors in good lighting so I properly got to see what I look like for the first time in a while. My chest and back are pretty developed and shoulders okay but my arms just do not match the rest of me (not really surprising at 14.5 inches at 6ft). I think every session needs to include at least a couple sets of skull crushers+curls to try and stop that imbalance getting worse. In particular my triceps are small and that matches with my pathetic skull-crusher numbers lol. Seems my shoulders have been doing the work in the OHP and chest in the bench...
(edited 10 years ago)
22/04/2014

Waist- 34.7 inches
left arm- 14.5 inches
right arm- 14.5 inches
Weight- 83.2kg

Today (9 day change):

01/05/2014

Waist- 33.7 inches (-1 inch)
left arm- 14.45 inches (-0.05 inches)
right arm- 14.45 inches (-0.05 inches)
Weight- 80.5kg (-2.7kg)

Would measure chest and shoulders but tbh its hard to do it accurately by myself.

Will update once a week, no discernible strength loss so far and I have good reference points to monitor (incline 70kg*5, OHP 60kg*5, weighted chins +30kg*5- obviously I will calibrate for loss in bodyweight, deadlifts ~175kg for 5 predicted). Any deviation from these will indicate strength gain/loss so lets see how it goes!

Weigh ins will always be after a high carb high cal refeed day (the next morning) to attempt to minimize distortion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Are you measuring your 'true' waist I.e. the belly button?
Original post by tehforum
Are you measuring your 'true' waist I.e. the belly button?

Yeah belly button and making sure to get the widest part of the love handles.
Today:

Deadlifts

60kg 10
100kg 5
140kg 3
160kg 1
170kg 5 (5RM PB)
150kg 6

T-bar rows 1 set to failure

Chinups

BW 10

Incline chest press machine

3 feeler sets, 1 set to failure 95kg*7

shoulder press machine

1 feeler set, 1 set to failure 80kg *8

OHP

45kg 10

Behind the neck

47.5kg 5

E-Z bar curls

35kg+bar *7

Machine row

few feeler reps up to 105kg*5

Skullcrushers

ez bar+22.5kg 8
+20kg 7
+15kg 10

Dumbbell curls (alternating)
20kg*8

Supinated curls
15kg two sets (cant remember reps)

Hack squat machine
1 feeler set
1 set to failure 95kg *something high

Tried a new gym closer to my house. Nice machines but ****ty free weights area, didn't like the atmosphere, shan't be going again!

One benefit about trying the new gym was it had full mirrors in good lighting so I properly got to see what I look like for the first time in a while. My chest and back are pretty developed and shoulders okay but my arms just do not match the rest of me (not really surprising at 14.5 inches at 6ft). I think every session needs to include at least a couple sets of skull crushers+curls to try and stop that imbalance getting worse. In particular my triceps are small and that matches with my pathetic skull-crusher numbers lol. Seems my shoulders have been doing the work in the OHP and chest in the bench...

same my tris are embarrassing, my big focus over the next few weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest